Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Shortage Getting Worse

Flatland Shooter

Just got a call from Wideners. Turns out their online inventory numbers are wrong and I did not get their last 10K Federal Sml Rifle primers.

Per their purchaser, new deliveries on Federal primers is six to nine months out. Winchester is no better.

Its getting to the point I may need to be a little (make that a lot) more selective of which matches I attend. Practice sessions are a thing of the past.

Bill :angry2:

Doing a quick search on the forum I came up with the following:

"I've used Winchester Small rifle primers in my 38 super and 40s&w loads for years. You can sub in Small mag pistol primers if needed. If the primer pockets are a little large use Federal primers to get a few more reloads out of your brass.

Also the reason for using the small rifle primer is because of the pressures that the 38 super must work at and I'm sure the 9mm major is the same."

ref: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...+pistol+primers

I'm hoping small mag pistol primers withstand pressure (9 Major) better than small pistol primers but probably not as good as small rifle primers.

Any comments? The reason I'm asking is I've found some small mag pistol primers in stock.

Bill

Just got a call from Wideners. Turns out their online inventory numbers are wrong and I did not get their last 10K Federal Sml Rifle primers.

Per their purchaser, new deliveries on Federal primers is six to nine months out. Winchester is no better.

Its getting to the point I may need to be a little (make that a lot) more selective of which matches I attend. Practice sessions are a thing of the past.

Bill :angry2:

Yup no surprises here. The sales folks at Powder Valley, Wideners, Grafs, and Midway all told me this over the phone back in november when I did some bulk buying. I couldnt get all of the winchesters I wanted back then. I suspect that supplies will get even tighter as the current administration does their thing.

I have no evidence to back it up but I suspect that small magnum pistol primers are made with the same thickness of cup as the standard pistol are for a given brand and therefore for our purposes are no better or worse than the standard pistol. Please keep us posted as to your results.

The wholesaler my dealer uses is out of Federal, Winchester and Remington SR. They do have Remington Small Rifle Benchrest primers (surprisingly at the same price as regular small rifle primers). Is there any downside to these?

Benchrest primers are, to my understanding, the the same as small rifle primers but with a little extra quality control to make each primer consistently the same as the previous. If you have a source, jump on them.

I pulled some old Winchester small pistol magnum primers out of stock and loaded up around 50 to see how they worked. I saw no primer flow or indication the primers were allowing gas to pass.

Powder Valley has the SPM primers in stock (Fed and Win). Bought up enough to get me into 2010.

Bill

Any comments? The reason I'm asking is I've found some small mag pistol primers in stock.

Bill

I've used mag primers without issue. They are run a little hotter than rifle primers, ~2-4 pf higher than depending on the powder, caliber, etc.

The wholesaler my dealer uses is out of Federal, Winchester and Remington SR. They do have Remington Small Rifle Benchrest primers (surprisingly at the same price as regular small rifle primers). Is there any downside to these?

I would not reccomend Remington sm. rifle primers for you pistol. I ruined a slide through breachface erosion. The remington primers are hard and do not expand with the pressure in pistol loads. Gas escaping around the primers makes a nice little ring around your firing pin hole and eventually (Less than 1000 rounds for mine) will cause the feeding rounds to get stuck. I am using the other 9000 of them in my 223 loads now.

I use Small Rifle primers in my AR (obviously). I had a bear of a time finding Wins or Remingtons, but there were plenty of CCI. They work just fine in my rifle. I use CCIs in my pistols as well. Thankfully my pistols aren't too finicky.

What is the word on Wolf primers? good? bad? Available?

Jim

I keep getting high primes with the wolf small rifle primers with the 1050

Tried adjusting the primer depth? Swaging the cases? Checked for a loose shell plate? Those are the three things I can think of.....

I would not reccomend Remington sm. rifle primers for you pistol. I ruined a slide through breachface erosion. The remington primers are hard and do not expand with the pressure in pistol loads. Gas escaping around the primers makes a nice little ring around your firing pin hole and eventually (Less than 1000 rounds for mine) will cause the feeding rounds to get stuck. I am using the other 9000 of them in my 223 loads now.

Wow - thanks. If I can't find Fed or Win, it may give me a chance to try out the SVI interchangeable breechface :)

Jim

Tried adjusting the primer depth? Swaging the cases? Checked for a loose shell plate? Those are the three things I can think of.....

Its only with the wolf primers.

Jim

I've found that I had to adjust the seating depth to deeper with Wolf primers. I still get an occasional light hit when using Wolf primers from guns that are 100% with Fed or Win.

Jim

Yep --- but if the primers mike out differently than Federal or Winchester, adjusting either seating depth or swaging cases might help --- depending on where the tolerances stack up....

I tried CCI. The lip of them seems to flare outware just a little more than others. I got many where the lip would catch the edge of the primer pocket and get cocked sideways before being pressed into the pocket. They also seemed to "hang" on the depriming pin more when reloading cases that were fire using them.

Jim

Yep --- but if the primers mike out differently than Federal or Winchester, adjusting either seating depth or swaging cases might help --- depending on where the tolerances stack up....

I adjusted both the swage and the seat depth. I still get some high primers. They are just high enough to not work but hard to see.

Just one comment......

If you NEED rifle primers in your Super or 9Major loads something is terribly wrong. With the powders we have available today there is NO reason to run pressures that high.

H its how I was told to load for the super and have just never changed. All the open shooters I know use srp of some sort

Just one comment......

If you NEED rifle primers in your Super or 9Major loads something is terribly wrong. With the powders we have available today there is NO reason to run pressures that high.

I hadn't really thought about it, but you are right. I've been loading major since 1986 when 175 was the Power Factor using powders probably designed around the time of WWII. Since I was shooting anywhere from Houston to Colorado, they were probably loaded to 181+.

And that explains why I was able to load a few 170 PF loads with small mag pistol primers and see no problems.

Good point Howard.

Bill

Jim

So you think if I tighten it up a little more they will work? They worked in the 550 fine

Do most people shoot the SRP in their open gun?