Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Optics to do run on your Open Rifle?

DMAC

I've picked up a second AR and I'm thinking about changing my JP CTR-02 to an open rifle. There's not much to do. I just picked up a Meopta K Dot, but I'll probably use this for Tactical Optics now.

I was thinking about mounting a J-point on a Matt Burkett mount. The question that I have is what would make a good scope for Open for the longer shots? I don't want to spend more than $700-$800. I do have a Leupold 4.5-14X50 LRT sitting around that I could use, but this is probably more scope than I need and it is rather large.

Any thouhts from experienced Open gunners?

Edited by DMAC

I'm gonna get in here early, and mind you I don't shoot open but I just want to see if my thoughts on the matter will coincide with practiced users, but I would guess that something in the 2x7 power range would fill the bill nicely. Too much magnification is a bad thing in our game, IMO.

Patiently awaiting the correct answer.... :cheers:

Zeiss Varipoint 1.1-4x24 i think it is an almost perfect scope for ipsc ,with almost i mean if it could have had the Swarovski LD-1 reticle in it then it would be really perfect.

Iff you ever get a chance to look or try the scope just refuse...............otherwise you will be spoiled and want one too :roflol:

Zeiss Varipoint 1.1-4x24 i think it is an almost perfect scope for ipsc ,with almost i mean if it could have had the Swarovski LD-1 reticle in it then it would be really perfect.

Iff you ever get a chance to look or try the scope just refuse...............otherwise you will be spoiled and want one too :roflol:

This is good that you mentioned this. I need to purchase over $100K in equipment from Zeiss for my office (ophthalmic diagnostic equipment) and the rep told me that he would get a scope at cost if I wanted one. I need to see if I can get to a outdoor store that has a good selection of Zeiss scopes so I can take a peek!

This is good that you mentioned this. I need to purchase over $100K in equipment from Zeiss for my office (ophthalmic diagnostic equipment) and the rep told me that he would get a scope at cost if I wanted one. I need to see if I can get to a outdoor store that has a good selection of Zeiss scopes so I can take a peek!

Try to get the ''old model'' with the on/off switch on top of the scope ,the new ''lotutec'' models have a dot that adjusts itself to the surrounding lights (just like the JPoint or Docter dot) and that can be very disturbing ,especially when you also shoot on indoor ranges.

The old model you can set to whatever brightness you need ,you can even see the dot on the brightest days

Leupold 1.75x6 with a Jpoint side mounted. Been using this scope since I started 3 gun in the early 90's. No interest in changing. Whatever optic you choose, learn where to hold at different distances. And burn it into your brain.

Last couple years I've been using a 1.5-5 MK4 M2 but I was hoping :unsure: to switch to a 2.5-8x32 MK4 this year and use the red dot more often.

I figured it out by looking at the specs-between the above 2 scopes the 2.5-8 with have more FOV and larger Exit pupil when both are at the same power. The 2.5-8 will give up some eye relief though.

Nick

Season 2009 I'm going to use Swarovski Z6i 1-6x with CDI reticle.

I guess if you go with the Z6i, you can keep in on 1x for close targets and dial to 6x for far targets. That way you don't need to mount a second J-point,Docter, etc. Am I correct to assume this. I have a Meopta K-dot that will get to 4X but don't know if this will be enough for targets out to 300-400 yards (I've searched some excellent threads on this already)

Unfortunately I can't even shoot past 200 yards where I live so I really can only look at balistic tables to predict my trajectory at longer ranges.

I may only shoot 2-3 big matches/year and I don't know what the max distance will be for rifle targets, so the K-dot may be enough.

I think I will just keep what I have and shoot "tactical" this year with it and see what I might need for next year when I try to shoot "open" and then decide what direction to go.

I'm going to set-up an Open upper for the Iron Man.

Right now I'm planning to use a Horus Hawk (3-12X) and Burris Fastfire using the Burris XTR rings with a Picatinny top half.

I have iron sights on my handguard on my Tactical upper. I've found that hammers with the irons really spread up/down/out with 25'+ targets because the comp is misaligned when shooting the rifle canted. So I'm not really keen on having the secondary red-dot to the side. But I'm not sure about a chin weld either. I'd try it out to see how it goes.

I have a Fastfire with the XTR rings on my bolt rifle. I've found doing transitions (without the Fastfire) while my main scope was at 17X+ was rather hard and slow. I've timed-out while transitioning to clays a couple of times. :wacko: With the Fastfire it's a whooooollee lot easier. Just prarie dog up and align the red dot with the target... drop down into the scope... align... and bang. I figure I can use the same procedure with my Open upper if needed.

At 300-400 I would start looking into a good 4.5-14X power scope. 4X just isn't enough for a target that far away. I usually use a 3X-9X scope for targets in this range, and once it gets around 500-550 a 12X is just great! I just can't seem to hit real well past about 200-250 with the TA-11 and it is real hard to discern your target through the scope. I tried a Eo-Tech with a flip magnifier and it was much harder to use than a TA-11 and accuracy suffered greatly. On the other hand powers greater than 16X will really start to burr out with mirage on a hot day so a good 4.5X14 is ideal. I would recommend a real fine plex as even a thick cross hair wire can obscure too much of the target. This is what I have found after years of shooting and expending 10,s of thousands of rounds at the targets from .308 Win down to the 22 LR.....after all who would use anything bigger than 308 on a Prairie Dog?? :lol:

I am using a Burris 2.5-10 Euro and a Cmore on the handgaurd. Very clear scope, Ballitic reticle is very helpful on longer ranges. I like the field of view of a Cmore versus a smaller optic.

Edited by nm3gnr

Kurt, take your hat off so people can see that your sarcasm light is ON!!!!

Although what you said reminds me of the comment I had heard at RM3G last year as a shooter came off of Stg. 1?????? i think. He told his compadre that he wished he had the 16x scope his buddy had rather than the 10x glass he had on his rifle???????? I mean come on, if you cannot see the target with a 6x as the max power on your scope, and 3.5x should be plenty, perhaps you should just toss a round at it and walk away.

Given that TO guys can see and hit the same targets just as fast or faster, why would you NEED something bigger than , 3.5, 4x, 1x4, 1.5x5, 1.1x6, etc.

*****Sarcasm light now OFF*****

trapr

At 300-400 I would start looking into a good 4.5-14X power scope. 4X just isn't enough for a target that far away. I usually use a 3X-9X scope for targets in this range, and once it gets around 500-550 a 12X is just great! I just can't seem to hit real well past about 200-250 with the TA-11 and it is real hard to discern your target through the scope. I tried a Eo-Tech with a flip magnifier and it was much harder to use than a TA-11 and accuracy suffered greatly. On the other hand powers greater than 16X will really start to burr out with mirage on a hot day so a good 4.5X14 is ideal. I would recommend a real fine plex as even a thick cross hair wire can obscure too much of the target. This is what I have found after years of shooting and expending 10,s of thousands of rounds at the targets from .308 Win down to the 22 LR.....after all who would use anything bigger than 308 on a Prairie Dog?? :lol:
Kurt, take your hat off so people can see that your sarcasm light is ON!!!!

Although what you said reminds me of the comment I had heard at RM3G last year as a shooter came off of Stg. 1?????? i think. He told his compadre that he wished he had the 16x scope his buddy had rather than the 10x glass he had on his rifle???????? I mean come on, if you cannot see the target with a 6x as the max power on your scope, and 3.5x should be plenty, perhaps you should just toss a round at it and walk away.

Given that TO guys can see and hit the same targets just as fast or faster, why would you NEED something bigger than , 3.5, 4x, 1x4, 1.5x5, 1.1x6, etc.

*****Sarcasm light now OFF*****

trapr

What is funny is that I now read everything he posts as if he is being sarcastic. :) At first I thought, WTH is he talking about ? And then I remembered it was Kurt posting and started laughing with every new sentence.

Come to think of it, does Kurt even have a rifle with glass on it ? ;)

I use a 10X scope on the AR for load development off the bench. It just makes things easier not having to go back and forth with a spoting scope.

You are correct, you do not need more than 6x for a 3gun rifle. I use to think a 2-7x or 3-9x was worth the weight but after a bit of practice with a 4x ACOG, I see no benefit. But, if I had not tried the 1.25-4x, 2-7x, 3-9x & 3.5-10X, I would not fully understand why the fixed 4x is best for me.

BTW - It was Bevin that got me to see the light. Thanks Bevin!

Edited by warpspeed