Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Open Championship 2009

hmm.. Palm scoring.. I like the concept, but it was a little hot for the shooters to be running members of their own squad as ROs because the single match staff person left on the stage had to run the palm system. :huh: I also heard of (but didn't see) issues with mis-tapping the wrong number or hit a time or two when entering times and there were one or two Palm-related reshoots on our squad, but not really any worse than paper scoresheets.

It was a lot better than Nationals last year where just as soon as one of our shooters got 'LAMR', the scorekeeper would run up saying "wait!, wait! I can't find them". That happened a bunch there. The receipts were much nicer than Nationals as well. The staff did a great job, especially around making sure everything was entered correctly before starting the next shooter.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind the palm scoring. Just takes some getting used to. No training with it and I was able to help the Fri squad get thru it. Once we figured out that keeping it in the shade would help it work better, it wasn't bad. Kind of hard to see the screen in the sun. We had some issues with the printers.

Thanks to Alex and Rey for working their butts off for the match! I think Rey came by every stage we were on Fri to see if we had enough water and gatorade.

I still don't like the van stage. Point shooting with no shoots didn't work well.

Mike

Great match! Many thanks to Alex, Ray, and all the rest of the staff and RO's! The food was great and the stages were awesome!! I was really impressed with the Palm system.

Thanks to everyone that made this happen!

Great match - extremely challenging and interesting stages, first-rate ROs and match staff, tasty food, and hard-working squad buddies (Thanks to all the guys on Squad 2). Plus we all got to see Porkchop the Range Pig (picture a potbelly pig the size of a smallish dog).

The whole match had a family affair feel to it (a good thing). Lots of couples on the range together, along with several younger kids. There was even a young girl selling brass and snow cones (those were a huge hit and really helped us beat the heat) to raise money to buy herself a pistol to compete with - how cool is that!! :cheers:

I really like the rapid scoring with the new Palm System. But I did notice that as the day wore on, some errors were being made when entering the numbers. I personally caught errors on my last stage of the day (the ROs cheerfully corrected it). A common theme by several of the more "seasoned" ROs was that the palm scorer was made "for 20 year old eyes" - that the display was too small and hard to see in the bright sun. It's a great system and very efficient, but no better than the data entered into it. Shooters really have to pay attention to their time and hits and check them on the screen before they sign because it's very easy for an RO to hit the wrong button on that tiny screen. Once you get past the potential data entry problems, it seems to be a great scoring system.

Hopefully, we'll see everyone back in Waco next year for the 2010 TX Open. Thanks again to all the sponors and everyone that made this years match so memorable!

Great match - extremely challenging and interesting stages, first-rate ROs and match staff, tasty food, and hard-working squad buddies (Thanks to all the guys on Squad 2). Plus we all got to see Porkchop the Range Pig (picture a potbelly pig the size of a smallish dog).

The whole match had a family affair feel to it (a good thing). Lots of couples on the range together, along with several younger kids. There was even a young girl selling brass and snow cones (those were a huge hit and really helped us beat the heat) to raise money to buy herself a pistol to compete with - how cool is that!! :cheers:

I really like the rapid scoring with the new Palm System. But I did notice that as the day wore on, some errors were being made when entering the numbers. I personally caught errors on my last stage of the day (the ROs cheerfully corrected it). A common theme by several of the more "seasoned" ROs was that the palm scorer was made "for 20 year old eyes" - that the display was too small and hard to see in the bright sun. It's a great system and very efficient, but no better than the data entered into it. Shooters really have to pay attention to their time and hits and check them on the screen before they sign because it's very easy for an RO to hit the wrong button on that tiny screen. Once you get past the potential data entry problems, it seems to be a great scoring system.

Hopefully, we'll see everyone back in Waco next year for the 2010 TX Open. Thanks again to all the sponors and everyone that made this years match so memorable!

Here is my daughter Claire with Porkchop, she could not stop talking about that pig. lol

post-6635-1243876343_thumb.jpg

My stage partner and I called it the dreaded palm, we switched ever other squad from running to scoring. However in all fairness our only complaint was that it took too long to print the score out. This left the RO running the shooter without assistance from the assistant RO, to help with little things like counting shots on production shooters, and watching for foot faults etc.

Having eyes more than 3 times 20, but not being in the dark about it, my progressive lens worked fine on the some what small screens. With my shooting glasses it was of course just a blurr of gray.

As the day wore on we became very fast at scoring using the palm, and recognize that the number of actual mistakes possible on the palm is less than on paper. If we could have dispensed with the printing it would have been possible to run more shooter in less time but we worked to eliminate down time and pushed squads thru at paper speeds.

I would like to see the palms used at every local match, at the end of the match the results would be done.

A big match is a lot of work, some folks that came just to shoot on Friday, worked for 4 to 6 hours helping set up stages as did many of the RO's. The food crew did an exceptional job and the food was the best I have had at any match in Texas.

The stages were very good.

Nice pic Roy ;) I wish I could claim that idea as my own, but i actually overheard someone else ask the RO if it was ok to go under the tape. I thought it seemed to work out ok...

Yeah, here's the rest of the burst from the camera: http://www.shred2.net/~shred/gallery14/alb...XO2009/TXO1.wmv. Not such a good plan for lefties though (and we had 3 on the squad!)

You're probably right about the palm scoring Ron, I just need to be a little patient as the little bugs get figured out.

Congratulations to all participants especially the winners.

I would like to thank LANDIS NEWBANKS-Texassouth Section Coordinator for his tremendous support to make this event happened, also to Phil Oxley owner of Impactzonerange to his dedication to be with us for the entire match.

Thank you Arthur, dedicated range master never complained even in the heat of the sun,still smilling and very polite. Also to Sheldon Carruth for his hardwork in bringing more table prizes.

Valuable sponsors: LaRue Tactical,STI,Springfield Armory,Surefire,Rudy's Project,Manny USA,Jim Pruett's Guns and Ammo,Precision Delta,Precision Bullets,Comp-Tac,5.11 Tactical series,Dawson Precision,DuraCoat,Lauer Custom Weaponry,TargetBarn Inc.SVI,ImpactZone,Alex Wakal;sincere appreciation to the contributions and making us feel your presence.

RO's, so patient and kept us on tract of the match. Thank you for the hardwork and support.

The North Texas Practical Shooters for sponsoring and keeping up the paperless palm pilot scoring system also hosting this year's AREA4 championship.

Lee Neel owner of this system, Thank you my friend.

Bill Murray for writing the stage descriptions and ROing even in a tough heat, appreciate you Bill.

Edwin for maintaining our communication IT support,thank you man.

The leadership of my bossom friend REY PANELO,sir, you left a dent to this inaguaral match of "GENERATION SHOOTERS." The staff around him especially his better half-ANN,JO,GINO,CAREY,ROMAN and SAID.

For the tireless efforts,Thank ya'll.

For those that in one way or the other contributed to the success of this event, THANK YOU. Until next time see you in the next match.

Maraming Salamat Po'

Alex Casis

Edited by 4everB

My stage partner and I called it the dreaded palm, we switched ever other squad from running to scoring. However in all fairness our only complaint was that it took too long to print the score out. This left the RO running the shooter without assistance from the assistant RO, to help with little things like counting shots on production shooters, and watching for foot faults etc.

Having eyes more than 3 times 20, but not being in the dark about it, my progressive lens worked fine on the some what small screens. With my shooting glasses it was of course just a blurr of gray.

As the day wore on we became very fast at scoring using the palm, and recognize that the number of actual mistakes possible on the palm is less than on paper. If we could have dispensed with the printing it would have been possible to run more shooter in less time but we worked to eliminate down time and pushed squads thru at paper speeds.

I would like to see the palms used at every local match, at the end of the match the results would be done.

A big match is a lot of work, some folks that came just to shoot on Friday, worked for 4 to 6 hours helping set up stages as did many of the RO's. The food crew did an exceptional job and the food was the best I have had at any match in Texas.

The stages were very good.

Appreciate these helpfull fellows Wayne,Albert,Kyle of San Antonio. You guys are wonderful friend.

alex

Nice pic Roy ;) I wish I could claim that idea as my own, but i actually overheard someone else ask the RO if it was ok to go under the tape. I thought it seemed to work out ok...

I have to admit its a cool picture.

The first shooter that came up with the going under idea was master gamer Kevin G, but after brining it up and getting other shooters to buy in he went around the corner. He had a decent run but blew a couple seconds on a totally missed reload, I talking he was 3 inches left of the gun a total miss of a huge mag well. Must have been the heat!

Was it a good idea? As one of the RO's on the stage I can say that the fastest times were not under the tape but round the corner. One individual caught his gun on the tape as he went under, lets just say that his gun went 179 1/2 degrees up before he caught himself. The 180 is always a judgment call, except when it is blatant.

What was the fast way around the stage. Easy remember its points per second, so don't be standing around, a consistent movement with continuious fire. Going to the end and working back thru the next to last section was a little faster as well.

I dont think you gained much if any doing it that way, you had to go to the right any ways so your momentum was taking you to the right, plus you would have to hop over the dummy and then go under the tape. I guess if you were mini me, it might have worked well. But I didn't see any real advantage.

I dont think you gained much if any doing it that way, you had to go to the right any ways so your momentum was taking you to the right, plus you would have to hop over the dummy and then go under the tape. I guess if you were mini me, it might have worked well. But I didn't see any real advantage.

Humm,It tell's me next time will specify not to go under. Forgot to mentioned our special friend that help us from start to finished hauling props,walls and building stages CAREY PERDUE, thank you and congratulations for winning B class open, also to CHAD FOLGER.

Edited by 4everB

Humm,It tell's me next time will specify not to go under. Forgot to mentioned our special friend that help us from start to finished hauling props,walls and building stages CAREY PERDUE, thank you and congratulations for winning B class open, also to CHAD FOLGER.

Does anyone have more pics for our website, Pls. send to me alex.casis@yahoo.com