Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fast

grandbagger

Bob Munden was pretty amazing at Fast Draw. Unfortunately for him, that sport never really grew legs. A lot of the fast draw guys were the ones that started IPSC. I think that Bob dabbled in CASS when it was new, but I don't remember hearing about him making too much headway there.

Wow, fast 0.02 seconds was pretty amazing, but how could he do from a start buzzer? It didn't appear to be much aiming required, just using the unburnt black powder to pop the balloons. I wonder what the "shot" pattern is like. I also wonder if it is possible to sweep your off hand doing that. He was wearing a pretty thick glove on that hand.

The powder pattern cone is about 4' in diameter at 12' distance. The "shot" is a full case of black powder with a wax (or wax and plastic) wad. His support thumb is cocking the weapon, so he can't easily shoot his own hand. His finger is pressing on the trigger as soon as he grabs the gun and the other hand "fans" the trigger. To get the second shot, his pinky or ring finger "fans" the hammer right after the thumb. It takes a LOT of practice to get it right, but it is more fast twitch and gross motor skill than you might think.

I have a Ruger vaquero that was tricked out by Mr Munden. Wow That thing is incredible. The guy I bought it from used the words "swiss watch" to describe it. The coolest part is spinning the empty cylinder. It is so smooth, it seems to just keep going. The trigger could best be described as butter. Alot more travel then my sv, but incredibly smooth.

I have seen him do that live a few years back and he had slowed down to a 0.05 draw to shot time. lol Even had a chance to shoot bowling pins with him and his wife, both were as nice as can be. You should hear him run five rounds through his gun, sounds like a full auto gun to me.

Joe W.

WellArmedSheep, the man has brass ones. To give you an idea what I am talking about look at THIS video. In the opening part of the video you will see him walking with a golden revolver, if you look closely at the holster you will see a Ti plate at the bottom of the holster. Although it is hard to see you will see to dark spots on the plate, those are places LIVE ammo struck the holster when he was doing some live ammo, fast draw demonstrations. I have met Bob in person twice, seen this very holster and will tell you the man clanks when he walks for doing that. If he ever comes through your town do whatever you can to see him live. Be forwarned though, on TV they have the chance to do several takes but unless he is having an off day he can pull most of his stunts off on the first try.

Joe W.