Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI/STI .40sw Spring Combination?

ExtremeShot

I was wondering what recoil/mainspring combination you guys have in your .40sw SVIs/STIs? I'm shooting either 180 grain or 185 grain bullets at about 170 pf.

For example, in my Open 9mm major gun I'm using an 8lb recoil spring and a 23lb mainspring with a 125 grain bullet at 170 pf. ...This combination works well for me.

Thanks,

Darren

12# recoil/ 17# MSH (180gr MG) -- spring combo per Cheely and Smith. Works great and the sight tracks as well as I can see it.

*editted to correct brainflatulence.

Edited by Seth

I was wondering what recoil/mainspring combination you guys have in your .40sw SVIs/STIs? I'm shooting either 180 grain or 185 grain bullets at about 170 pf.

For example, in my Open 9mm major gun I'm using an 8lb recoil spring and a 23lb mainspring with a 125 grain bullet at 170 pf. ...This combination works well for me.

Thanks,

Darren

12lb recoil spring 17lb mainspring. Or you could try 19lb mainspring. You should know this by now! :roflol:

Edit to add: Look here.

:cheers:

BK

Edited by bkeeler

Those of us that actually work on our own guns (versus having someone else to the smithing) know that there are many spring combinations that work. Some work better than others (depending upon the other variables, ie., bullet weight, etc.).

For example, one might want to use a combination like I have in my Open gun (8lb recoil and 23 lb mainspring). With this combination, the slide is slowed in the rearward direction by the heavier mainspring, and the lighter recoil spring is enough to put the slide in battery but not cause significant force to drop the frontsight lower than needed.

In my Limited .40 gun, I currently have a setup similar to yours. However, I think going to a heavier mainspring will reduce the recoil even more and allow me to smoke you even more than I already do. :)

Before I start messing with the gun though, I thought I would poll the group and see if anyone was using the heavier mainspring setup.

Darren

PS: Thanks for the link.

12lb recoil spring 17lb mainspring. Or you could try 19lb mainspring. You should know this by now! :roflol:

BK

Those of us that actually work on our own guns (versus having someone else to the smithing) know that there are many spring combinations that work. Some work better than others (depending upon the other variables, ie., bullet weight, etc.).

For example, one might want to use a combination like I have in my Open gun (8lb recoil and 23 lb mainspring). With this combination, the slide is slowed in the rearward direction by the heavier mainspring, and the lighter recoil spring is enough to put the slide in battery but not cause significant force to drop the frontsight lower than needed.

In my Limited .40 gun, I currently have a setup similar to yours. However, I think going to a heavier mainspring will reduce the recoil even more and allow me to smoke you even more than I already do. :)

Before I start messing with the gun though, I thought I would poll the group and see if anyone was using the heavier mainspring setup.

Darren

PS: Thanks for the link.

BK

I think I have smoked you maybe once or twice while you were shooting your open gun and I was shooting my Limited gun. :sight::roflol::P

BK

Yeah, you did smoke me a few times while I was still learning the Open techniques.

All kidding aside, I agree with others when they say that switching to Open for a while will make you a better Limited shooter. I shot Open most of last year. ...but now I'm going back to Limited to make my final push for Master!

See you on the range Bruce.

I think I have smoked you maybe once or twice while you were shooting your open gun and I was shooting my Limited gun. :sight::roflol::P

BK

Those of you running 12lb recoil springs and 17lb mainsprings - is this with a lightened slide and do you run buffs or not?

I recently picked up a single stack in .40 and I haven't really had the chance to play around with springs in it yet (may have something to do with the -27* temps we had last week :mellow: ). It originally had a 16lb spring in it and I ordered a 14lb and 12.5lb ISMI to try. I've got the 12.5lber in there now and will shoot it tomorrow.

What I'm getting at is - will a 1911 with a full weight slide shooting major .40 (or .45... I "really" got bitten by the 1911 bug ;) ) be alright with a 12.5lb recoil spring with no buff? Or should I run with the 14lber for now. Honestly I have no idea what mainspring is in either of them. I run federal primers in everything so I'm not too concerned about ignition.

The mainspring does more than sling the hammer forward. As the slide comes back, the mainspring is compressed. The heavier the mainspring, the more you reduce the force of the slide coming back. ....and it's the force of the slide coming back that causes the recoil (recoil is actually a moment: force times the distance between the center of the bore and your wrist).

Edit: When I say recoil, I'm referring more to the flip of the muzzle, not necessarily the rearward force.

Honestly I have no idea what mainspring is in either of them. I run federal primers in everything so I'm not too concerned about ignition.
Edited by ExtremeShot

I run a 12lb spring in a bushing barrel flat top slide 17lb mainspring I like the way the gun reacts and feels with this combination of springs. No buffers I do not see the need.

Extremeshot is correct on the mainspring.

You have to tailor the springs for your preference everyone is different.

If everything is right with the gun your not going to hurt it.

BK

Most of my 40 cal Limited guns run a 10lb recoil spring and a 17lb mainspring. The sight trackkers run 9lb recoil springs. I also have a 9mm and a 38 super limited gun and they run recoilmasters.(They shoot minor of course) I prefer to run as light a mainspring as possible to get reliable ignition of the primer and found that 17lb is about the lower limit, if you run rifle primers. I have never liked the feel of guns with heavy mainsprings. I prefer everything as light and quick as I can. I have a pretty strong hold on the gun and can control it moving around pretty well, so I dont adhere to heavy mainspring theory. I use these setups regardless of power factor.

Edited by scirocco38s