Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC at a commercial range?

No_Mikes

Excuse the ignorance on this topic.... I have a local gun shop that will be opening up a public range in the next year. In all of the matches that I have gone to they always seem to be at the "xxx sportsman club". Is it allowed to hold sanctioned IPSC shoots at a commercial range?

No Mikes, There used to be a club that used a commercial range in NE Illinois. The business had a range on the 1st and 2nd floors. I think the problem was the range fee the owner wanted got to be too much to keep the club solvent. Don't think there's any problem with USPSA though. Jim

We hold USPSA matches at a local indoor "commercial" range. If the owners of the range are amenable then there are no problems.

That's great news. The owner of this shop is very excited about the new range and I'm sure would be agreeable to starting a league if it means getting people in his shop. I'll go out to the website and see what needs to be done to start up.

Most of the matches I go to in Texas and the club that I run shoots on a Commercial range. I pay per shooter on match day for the range use. We have five bays reserved for "Club" use on the first Sunday of the month, we are suposed to be fininshed by 2 with the ranges being cleared out. Four clubs shoot at that range on diff days of the month.

The old thing it did for the range was that it got shooters to the range to get exsposer for the facility. Now with peolple thinking their rites are in peril, the range is very bussy. used to be the range owner could look forward to the steady cash the club would bring in.

Yeah that would be helpful. Does USPSA have new club advisors or someone in charge of setting up new charters? I guess I should look at their website huh? :-) ..... off I go.

I wonder if there is somebody in Ohio that you could talk to about that... :)

Yeah. The Ohio guy is some dude that goes by "Flexmoney". :)

PM sent.

Yeah that would be helpful. Does USPSA have new club advisors or someone in charge of setting up new charters? I guess I should look at their website huh? :-) ..... off I go.
I wonder if there is somebody in Ohio that you could talk to about that... :)

I visited with a local commercial range about shooting some small USPSA matches. Since they were already shooting IDPA matches on a regular basis, I thought it would be a fairly easy sale.

The killer was his requirement that we have our own insurance naming his range as an "additional insured". Spoke to several folks to see if USPSA had any type of coverage we could piggy back on. No luck.

How are the other clubs handling this? Just curious. (If considered a hijack, please delete.)

Bill

The key to running matches at commercial range is $$$.

1. Make sure you charge enough, and give the range a big enough cut of the action, that they would be sorry if you are gone.

2. If the match means the facility does not have ranges available for their members to use, think carefully about how much time you block out for the match and limit attendance if necessary.

We have a local range (www.americanfirearmsschool.com) booked for winter matches a it SW of Boston. A couple of things we do:

- Pre-registration, pre-payment ($20), no refund after Thursday

- Match time 9AM Sunday, scheduled to end by Noon (sometime it stretches to noon thirty)

- The range covers our expenses, mission count and wood props (we loan them poppers for the match), and keeps all profit.

This formula has kept everyone involved happy, most importantly, the general manager of the facility.

"220...221...whatever it takes"

(I thought I had a pic of a monkey shooting a Glock around here somewhere, but it must not be on this computer.)

Don't you have to be a monkey to shoot a Gl....Oh never mind :wacko: .

The key to running matches at commercial range is $$$.

1. Make sure you charge enough, and give the range a big enough cut of the action, that they would be sorry if you are gone.

2. If the match means the facility does not have ranges available for their members to use, think carefully about how much time you block out for the match and limit attendance if necessary.

We have a local range (www.americanfirearmsschool.com) booked for winter matches a it SW of Boston. A couple of things we do:

- Pre-registration, pre-payment ($20), no refund after Thursday

- Match time 9AM Sunday, scheduled to end by Noon (sometime it stretches to noon thirty)

- The range covers our expenses, mission count and wood props (we loan them poppers for the match), and keeps all profit.

This formula has kept everyone involved happy, most importantly, the general manager of the facility.

A bunch of shooters in MN. shoots on a commerical indoor range in the winter.

It's not really a club, they don't pay any dues or anything.

There are a couple of guys that run it, they come up with the stages, and sorta run it.

If someone wants to help FINE. There is always someone there to help, it just sorta works that way.

The range takes all the money, pays for all the props, targets, pasters, stands and buys the plaques at the end of the season.

They won't let us shoot steel in there anymore, kept on busting the lights.

It's kinda wierd, but it works. I think someone has been doing it at this range for about 15 years. That was before I started shooting USPSA.

The guy that ownes it kinda figures he has 30-50 shooters at his place on a thursday night. And alot of them come back to shoot at other times.

So it is a WIN-WIN deal.

They don't run it as a USPSA match though.

Edited by Skizeks

First match I ever shot was a "ipsc-style" match at the range they have set up down in the basement of the NRA's HQ building of Rt. 66 here in Virginia. I was hooked!

Later, I helped start up the indoor USPSA club at the old Shooters Paradise range (which burned down in 2007).

We ran 4 stages using only ONE bay that was only 30 ft wide by 25 yards. It can be done.

I learned to shoot USPSA at a commercial indoor range. It was the matches at Shooters Paradise Carlos mentioned in fact.

I also became a member of that commercial range because they supported the sport and were just generally cooler than other commercial/indoor ranges in the area.

I would imagine that hosting USPSA would be a win/win for a new range.

-Dale

Bill,

Our club is outdoors & all but we have insurance we got through the NRA. The club had to become an NRA affiliate so there is a small fee, but we have insurance with the landowner as the "additional insured". We insured him for a million & the club for a million & I think the insurance is @$600/year. I thought it was a very good deal. Contace NRA & tell them you are forming a shooting club & need insurance. They can point you in the right direction.

MLM

I visited with a local commercial range about shooting some small USPSA matches. Since they were already shooting IDPA matches on a regular basis, I thought it would be a fairly easy sale.

The killer was his requirement that we have our own insurance naming his range as an "additional insured". Spoke to several folks to see if USPSA had any type of coverage we could piggy back on. No luck.

How are the other clubs handling this? Just curious. (If considered a hijack, please delete.)

Bill

Our club is outdoors & all but we have insurance we got through the NRA. The club had to become an NRA affiliate so there is a small fee, but we have insurance with the landowner as the "additional insured". We insured him for a million & the club for a million & I think the insurance is @$600/year. I thought it was a very good deal. Contace NRA & tell them you are forming a shooting club & need insurance. They can point you in the right direction.

Read the NRA policy carefully. I was involved in insurance selection for a local gun club and found that the NRA insurance provided a false security blanket. The biggest limitation was the exclusion for claims brought by members of the club - the people most likely to be involved in an accident that results in a suit. Just imaging telling the range owner "You're not covered if any of our members decide to sue, but, other than that, we have great insurance."

The other two biggies (of less relevance to a USPSA club) were an exclusion on hunting accidents and anything involving a firearms inside a motor vehicle.

Actually - we kept the range open to the public during our USPSA shoot.

How? - range had 2 bays. One was open to the public, the other was for our match. I intentionally asked for the one closest to the door - which forced the other customers to walk past our match while it was in progress. Let me tell you, THAT generated a lot of interest on the part of the non-USPSA shooters (all of whom had never actually seen a USPSA match).

We also had our shoot on Wednesday nights - and virtually every range is more than 1/2 empty on Wednesdays - so our volunteers brought the range a lot of business on an otherwise slow night.

I would imagine that hosting USPSA would be a win/win for a new range.

Done correctly, it is. Just try to think about it from the owner's point of view - revenue vs. the issues involved with closing the range to members during your match.