Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixed 2 powders by mistake

chrisa006

I personally think you should put it in a trail and do what they did in the bugs bunny cartoons.. burn it! :) If you throw it out you don't get the satisfactio of burning it.. if you burn it, well you've released it back into it's gaseous state. :)

Burn it!

If you have access to a large open area in an area of low flammability you can make solid fuel rockets with your old powders. materials needed: Aluminum foil, a large pencil, a short piece of angel iron to make a ramp and of course your old powder.

Roll a tube of foil, at least 5-6 layers thick around the pencil, form a funnel at one end of the tube, this is your exhaust nozzle, make it large enough that the powder will feed through it, but small enough to regulate the flow. Fill the tube and fold the top end shut, you may tale the top as well.

Aim the angle up at a steep angle, lay the rocket in the 'V', make a fuse if powder to the tail, ignite and watch.

Of course no one should actually try this as it could start a fire.

Sounds to me like he has done this many times before..... :cheers:

No, what he posted about making rocket motors sounds about right. It will likely only explode if cofined.. if it is burned in such a manner that it will be directed at something, likely it will act a lot like a rocket. When I was doing the model rocket thing way back when, the propellant of the time was black powder based.. now they have all those fancy composites.. that do all kinds of things.. (I hear the propellant for the SRB's on the space shuttle is rubbery). Doubtful it'll lift anything.. but it's fun to think about. :) It's only something I'd experiment with if I had a large amount of land with no brush (think salt flats) and it was legal to do so.

There is a REASON why you would not want to load it.....Powder blends for different burn rates are made with blends that go BACK TO A SOLVENT LEVEL in the manufacturing process. Companies don't blend solid powders together like salt & sugar....

Please understand this. The mixing of two powders will give spiked burning rates no matter how well you "mix" them. The result is jumps & drops in pressures. This happens virtually in nano-seconds. The results are WILDLY unpredictable. At the very least you are not going to get a group that you can count on. The other issue is vibratory separation within the shell that may result in a real disaster.

Depending upon a variety of factors you could blow the chamber immediately; even with a very light load.

Edited by Tucson-John

You're welcome.

Many people try some wild stuff with reloading: often out of curiosity & not a sense of irresponsibility. If the facts are known most would be very conservative in their approach & we would not hear about people having their guns blow up, etc. But sadly not much is spoken of what is taking place on a physics or chemical level with firearms because much of this is not common knowledge.

The concept of a detonation, for instance from a sever LOWERING of powder levels is rarely talked about but the facts are that smokeless powder IS an explosive. We have become so used to the expression "propellant" that we think in those terms. We are dealing with common H.E. materials - that have been "tamed" for the express purpose of making a projectile fly down a tube.

However those materials are still there, albeit coated with polyester & graphite & initiated with a dramatically lower level of primary initiation than would occur in an industrial blasting setting. When conceived in those terms we immediately see why any adjustment [from what has been published as appropriate] for the task at hand is a gamble. There are hard & fast rules that will apply IF we bear in mind that the goal is to continually control the initiation process to maintain a deflagration. If we do not, we move from a burning to a detonation because that is actually what the material chemically "wants" to do.

Our safety not only lies in following well trod ground in terms of what research (i.e. "deflagration to detonation" modeling) is available to us but to recognize that the materials are only as safe as their combined elements will allow. Many materials that were common only decades ago are never seen any more in certain areas (like primers) because research showed them to be too great a risk at NOT containing a controlled "burn". Other newer materials allowed progress. The invention of triple based smokeless powders made safer artillery possible as that venue controlled the rate of burn in a space that was an order of magnitude larger (& contained more surface area) than a firearm. The whole of the subject is fascinating..... (Pun intended.) :-)

And whatever you do, do NOT get a really long fuse, stick it through a hole in the lid, out in the middle of a large field, on the 4th of July, light the really long fuse and run like hell. DON'T even consider doing this, EVER. :devil:

LOL

And NEVER, on New Year's Eve, dribble the powder out in a thin line on the street to spell HAPPY NEW YEAR in front of your stuck-up neighbor's house, and burn the letters into the asphalt. NEVER. :ph34r:

10+ years ago before I even had my firearms license I took a reloading class and they had an AR mag that looked like a grenade went off in it. What happened was the person reloading mixed powders and when the round was fired the pressure was extreme and it blew the mag out of the gun and stuck him in the leg. He did some damage to the gun and to his ego for sure.