Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet for 40 minor

Nemo

Some folks change to 155gr over the same powder charge they use for major 180's. Does anyone change the powder charge and shoot 180 minor?

I may venture some into production and need to experiment with a minor load. Heavy (180) bullet over little powder (sluggish) or light bullet (155 if I can find a moly-coated one) over medium charge? What say ye?

Some folks change to 155gr over the same powder charge they use for major 180's. Does anyone change the powder charge and shoot 180 minor?

I may venture some into production and need to experiment with a minor load. Heavy (180) bullet over little powder (sluggish) or light bullet (155 if I can find a moly-coated one) over medium charge? What say ye?

I use a Precision Moly 185 over 3.2gr Clays in my Xd-40 Tac for ~805-810 fps or ~150pf. Very soft and not sluggish at all.

Just checked and Precision has a 155 and a 170, and Billy Bullets has a 150gr moly-coated. Just checking which of the molys make a 10/40 lighter than 180.

Edited by Nemo

Hello: I use the 185 Precisions for minor and major in the 5" pistol. They are very soft shooting in minor, softer than factory 9mm. The slide speed is still there. If not fast enough for you then add powder :roflol: I forgot to add Precision sells a 155 grain bullet that I use in my revolver for ICORE. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I use 180 bear creek mollys for practice and 180 zero jhp for matches. Load them both major and minor with vv320 3.7g 1.150 for minor and 4.7g 1.150 major minor load is very soft in my XD tac. and the major load is real nice out of my sti edge. This is what works for me.

Does anyone change the powder charge and shoot 180 minor?

Welcome to the forum, newbie. :)

3.5g of TG with Zero 180jhp @ 1.135oal

(only difference between that and my major 40 load is the amount of powder)

Thank you sir. Do you keep the same recoil spring?

Nelson - IIRC, 3.2 grains of Clays under the Hornady 180 grain LFP at 1.12" OAL ran ~760 fps from my full size M&P, and functioned reliably with the factory recoil spring, including locking back the slide. It'd probably be pretty close to that with other 180 grain lead bullets.

I am currently trying to shoot Glock 35 (or 22) minor, 1.135 OAL, 3.5 TG, Zero JHP 180, but the bullet would suddenly nosedive or get stacked oddly in the magazine. I am currently using 10-rd mags, does it make a difference? I used both Precision 185gr Lead and Montana Gold 180 FMJ same OAL and minor load powder with no problems, just wanted to try something new. Anyone have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Same load I use

1.9 grain of Clays and a 200 cast out of my 35 with a 13# spring barely opens the slide and still makes minor.

Don't you run the risk of the pistol having a "stovepipe" if you limp wrist (or if you are shooting weak handed)?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same load I use

Nelson, This is my minor production load in my G35. I run a 15lb ISMI recoil spring for both limited and production. Hope all is well my friend. Nick-

Nelson,

I use 3.5 of clays under 180 either MG (for steel/3gun) or lead (for practice). 'bout 155ish. Honestly I didn't want to dip into my supply of titegroup for practice. It was such a nice load I used it for steel.

Lee