Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drazy Metal Works Steel 500

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It rained for about half hour the first day and after that cleared up and was a good day. I was one of a few that ran the marathon and shot 2 guns both limited and open. It was quite the work out. The second day went a lot quicker. I am not sure who one as I have to cut and run. Still waiting for the results as well.

well?? how did it go?

well?? how did it go?

Weather was incredible. People were great. Match a touch on the disorganized side but hey, first ones always are. Stages were good with a total [minimum] round count of 512. I went through just under 800 rounds. Ya gotta go next year. Here's a big thank you to Tom and Ray for a good time and great match.

The weather was great, the event provided water (free), the stages were fun. As Dave said there were some hiccups, but no deal breakers. I think the ammo shortage hurt the event some. They had around 120 shooters and had room for many more. They could have had double that and been fine. Hopefully next year the component issues will be behind us and more people can attend. The components and economy almost had me stay home, but in the end, I said the hell with it and went anyway.

I'd like to thank Drazy for putting it on and Ray and Tony and the guys for setting it all up. It was a massive undertaking to drag/make all the steel needed for the event. I'm sorry I didn't stay to help you guys tear it down, but my wrist was shot having fired some 800 rounds at the 512 steel. :o I was determined to get my moneys worth. lol

I can't imagine more or better shooting over two days for $60 a day. Good job guys... Next year they will have the kinks worked out and hopefully the economy and components will not be in such a sad state. I would like to see this match take off.

Ray, put me on the list for next year if you need help.

Jim

EDIT: Get those scores up and point us to where they are located! :) I know I didn't do worth a damn, but I would like to check on some friends who had a good match.

Edited by JThompson

It rained for about half hour the first day and after that cleared up and was a good day. I was one of a few that ran the marathon and shot 2 guns both limited and open. It was quite the work out. The second day went a lot quicker. I am not sure who one as I have to cut and run. Still waiting for the results as well.
well?? how did it go?

Matt Cheely won SS, Jeff Matsche (Sorry about spelling) open, Pete Millionis won both Production and Limited, (shooting a Glock 34 with only plus 2 pads). Don't know who won revolver, sorry. Match was a lot of fun. Lots of shooting for the money (some of us shot more than others :rolleyes: ). Great weather (after the first 1/2 hour or so), fun stages, good people, what more could you want?

By the way, I shot with Pete, and my buddies from Chicago PD. I would wager that Pete did not shoot 50 extra rounds for both divisions, combined. And, he was not shooting slow!!!! I don't know the finals, but I'm pretty sure Pete won by a good margin. Pete is an outstanding steel shooter, and one of the nicest guys you are likely to run into.

Thanks again, Tom, Ray, Tony and Deb, and all the RO's, stats and other staff I haven't mentioned. Good job, and hope to be back next year.

well?? how did it go?

Matt Cheely won SS, Jeff Matsche (Sorry about spelling) open, Pete Millionis won both Production and Limited, (shooting a Glock 34 with only plus 2 pads). Don't know who won revolver, sorry. Match was a lot of fun. Lots of shooting for the money (some of us shot more than others :rolleyes: ). Great weather (after the first 1/2 hour or so), fun stages, good people, what more could you want?

By the way, I shot with Pete, and my buddies from Chicago PD. I would wager that Pete did not shoot 50 extra rounds for both divisions, combined. And, he was not shooting slow!!!! I don't know the finals, but I'm pretty sure Pete won by a good margin. Pete is an outstanding steel shooter, and one of the nicest guys you are likely to run into.

Thanks again, Tom, Ray, Tony and Deb, and all the RO's, stats and other staff I haven't mentioned. Good job, and hope to be back next year.

You have it right... I just spoke with Tom Drazy and he said the full scores will be out late this week. He still at the range and then has to go home and sort things out, get the results in web-form and give them to the webmaster at PASA for posting. Look for full results end of week.

Winners

Prod Petrous

Limited Petrous

*Overall Petrous* There was no overall, but to tell you how good he was shooting... It was good to finally meet you Pete.

Open Jeff Matsche

*Revo Dean Gomez* Nice job Dean, he was on my squad and it was a pleasure to watch a guy that knows how to shoot/reload a revo. Some of those reloads were Jerry worthy.

SS Matt Cheely Congrats to Matt who nipped Tony by what 6?

Edited by JThompson

The match was a lot of fun, especially shooting on the same squad with Tony so that we could go head to head for the entire match.

The all steel USPSA stages were the most fun, but I enjoyed the Steel Challenge as well.

I'll be back next year. I hope to see dedicated RO's on the stages, and even more evil stage designs, I know Ray loves to do that...

Congrats to all the winners.

Matt you shot a great match you deserved to win. Hope the drive home was safe.

A HUGE thanks to all that made this match happen. Ray, Tom, Deb, little David, and Duane did the setup. Diane and Marcy did the stats. Thanks a bunch guys.

Next year I want a skid steer to load and move all that heavy steel and a air hammer to drive all the spikes. We promise to get the bugs worked out for next year.

BTW Matt I used right at 750 rounds. Too many extra shots.......

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great match. It was a very unique match in that it combined USPSA and Steel Challenge in one match which was challenging to say the least.

I know Tom and Ray wanted to know if anyone had suggustions for the match so I thought I would add my two cents.

My first suggustion would be to keep the same format in shooting both USPSA Steel Field Courses and the Steel Challenge as this is a unique feature to the match and keeping it scored as one match.

My second suggustion is, I know Tom wanted the shooter numbers to be higher, so one way to do this is to shortern the number of stages to allow for the match to be shot in a one day format. My suggustion would be to go to 8 stages of USPSA and the 8 stages of steel challenge for a total of 16 stages. If squads are kept small that could be compeleted in one day and would allow for shooters to shoot a second gun on the following day. Thus raising the number of entires overall for the match

This is just my thoughts I hope there are other thoughts also.

Top 50 combined

Name - Division - Total Time

Petros Milionis Limited 304.24

Petros Milionis Production 316.43

Jeff Matche Open 326.12

Sherwin Greenfield Open 328.69

Greg Blough Open 330.35

Austin Griffith Open 331.25

Matt Cheely Single Stack 339.03

Ed Bowling Open 342.36

Nick Greenfield Open 342.53

Kepa Zubizarretta (NP) Limited 346.728

Jon Huspek Open 348.45

Bryan Dover Limited 350.4

Tim Kunz (NP) Open 354.45

Tony Hawkins Single Stack 358.72

Lee Edwards open 362.12

Guy Griffith Open 362.62

Bob Mills Open 363.34

Brian Pierce Open 365.83

Chris Davies Open 372.74

Todd Kunz (NP) Limited 379.64

Kevin Siddle (NP) Open 380.09

James Thompson Open (NC) 384.98

Darren Mulford Open 387.01

Aaron Thomas Limited 392.6

David Blough Open 393.97

Ray Hirst Open 400.93

Doug Carden Limited 401.54

Chris Thomas Open 410.08

Bruce Carby Open 412.11

Dennis Kerchoff Production 413.37

Joe Pecora Production 422.03

Bob Jensen Limited 427.12

Joel Ripper Production 427.37

John Koppi Limited 427.56

J. Thomas Howard Production 428.95

Dean Gomez Opne Rev 441.82

Mark Quinn (NP) Limited 445.063

Tom Drazy Poduction 457.92

Carrol Pilant Open 464.6

Jerrod Roering Production 469.53

Matt Hopkins Production 477.8

Chris Zeeb Production 478

Brian Pierce Limited 478.8

Griffin Hillbo Production 484.93

Daniel Royalty Open 488.04

Nancy Huspek Single Stack 490.24

Roland Perez Production 495.01

Kirk Blair Limited 518.45

Jerry Johnson Production 526.49

Looking at the top 10. Shooting 8 rounds, I was slightly beaten on the uspsa stages by Pete when he loaded his Glock up all the way. But he totally smoked me on the steel challenge. Looks to me that a good steel challenge shooter, has the advantage at this match. More time can be won or lost on those stages than the field courses.

Name - Division - Total Time - USPSA Stages - Steel Stages

Petros Milionis Limited 304.24 171.4 132.84

Petros Milionis Production 316.43 180.03 136.4

Jeff Matche Open 326.12 167.6 158.52

Sherwin Greenfield Open 328.69 168.84 159.85

Greg Blough Open 330.35 181.47 148.88

Austin Griffith Open 331.25 170.93 160.32

Matt Cheely Single Stack 339.03 177.74 161.29

Ed Bowling Open 342.36 195.16 147.2

Nick Greenfield Open 342.53 159.9 182.63

Looking at the top 10. Shooting 8 rounds, I was slightly beaten on the uspsa stages by Pete when he loaded his Glock up all the way. But he totally smoked me on the steel challenge. Looks to me that a good steel challenge shooter, has the advantage at this match. More time can be won or lost on those stages than the field courses.

Name - Division - Total Time - USPSA Stages - Steel Stages

Petros Milionis Limited 304.24 171.4 132.84

Petros Milionis Production 316.43 180.03 136.4

Jeff Matche Open 326.12 167.6 158.52

Sherwin Greenfield Open 328.69 168.84 159.85

Greg Blough Open 330.35 181.47 148.88

Austin Griffith Open 331.25 170.93 160.32

Matt Cheely Single Stack 339.03 177.74 161.29

Ed Bowling Open 342.36 195.16 147.2

Nick Greenfield Open 342.53 159.9 182.63

You can always shoot Limited or Production or both next year, Matt. :bow: And brush up on shooting static steel challenge type stages in the meantime.

Edited by persona non grata

Matt,

Were you shooting your Springfield Armory single stack or something different? I'm working on a short write up for The Shooting Wire. Hope to have it in the Friday edition. Congrats on your division win.

Scott

Matt,

Were you shooting your Springfield Armory single stack or something different? I'm working on a short write up for The Shooting Wire. Hope to have it in the Friday edition. Congrats on your division win.

Scott

Yep. That's the only gun I have right now :goof:

Matt,

Scott

Yep. That's the only gun I have right now :goof:

I know you have a SA XD-9.......cause thats what you won!!!! :cheers:

I learned something from this match:

Falling Steel = Major PF Load (No matter what others tell you)

I had 130 PF loads which required multiple shots (or well placed shots near the top) to knock some of the plates over. Those dang "head shots" were especially hard to knock over with the powder puff loads.

I heard a rumor that Tony had something to do with this. :devil:

Even though I totally blew chunks, I was happy to offer my squad a little entertainment on the Barricades stage by doing a "spray and pray" by the center barricade followed by a little "Hokie Pokie" dance (you know - put your right foot in, put your right foot out....) between the right and center boxes.

Thanks for a great match Tom/Ray/Tony, et al!

[edited for typos]

Edited by ExtremeShot

I learned something from this match:

Falling Steel = Major PF Load (No matter what others tell you)

I had 130 PF loads which required multiple shots (or well placed shots near the top) to knock some of the plates over. Those dang "head shots" were especially hard to knock over with the powder puff loads.

I heard a rumor that Tony had something to do with this. :devil:

Even though I totally blew chunks, I was happy to offer my squad a little entertainment on the Barricades stage by doing a "spray and pray" by the center barricade followed by a little "Hokie Pokie" dance (you know - put your right foot in, put your right foot out....) between the right and center boxes.

That dance was pretty funny. We should have had a camera going for your runs, and an egg timer for mine.