Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you started with your mags in your shooting bag

Freddie the Swede

Well I have.

-Beep

Draw, fire, start running, more targets, run a little more, reload......."what the heck"?

Fumbling around the belt and realize the mags are in the bag.......

Holster gun, turn around and run back as fast as I can to the start of the stage and retrieve my mags.

Found them but lost around ten seconds in that field course...... :wacko:

Ever done the same?

It's good fun to laugh at it when I think back though.

Later dudes

Fredrik Lundbeck

Edited by Freddie the Swede

I have never done it but have seen it done. Also have seen several people over the years start with a chambered round and no mag. I was ROing one such shooter and when I said "Are you ready", he nodded, I then said "Are you SURE you are ready?". He turned and looked at me with a strange look on his face and said loudly "YES". I know I should not have asked a second time but it was a club match and he was fairly new. After he was done he came to me and said, "now I know why you asked twice, I won't forget that again"

i never left them in the bag, but I have forgotten to reload them. Luckily it was only one and on a long field course. I could tell by the weight it was short, so I shucked it back out and put in a fresh one. didnt lose too much time.

Now my "are you ready" dance includes checking all my mags to see if they are topped off.

Yankee dog

I RO'd a shooter who had not reloaded his mags after the last stage (long) stage, just stuck them back in the mag holders. He ended up reloading an empty, then one with 5-6 round, then another with 12-14 rounds. He kept going with lots of lost time. I had to keep from laughing when I finally said unload-and-show-clear. The entire squad gave kept asking him if his mags for the rest of the match.

I have never left them in my bag, but have made about every other mistake you can make with a magazine.

The most embarrasing went something like this:

I normally come to the line with my belt full and mags topped off.

I keep a special mag in my back pocket just for the "Barney Bullets".

At the "make ready" command I chambered my "Barney Bullet" then stuck the special mag back in my pocket.

At that moment I would normally load a full mag, then holster.

Somehow I managed to leave off that last step and started the stage with one round and no mag in the gun.

It didn't take long to run the gun dry. :blush:

I reloaded into an empty at my last match. Shame of it was that it was a good reload. Slap, bang, click. Tap, rack -- empty?? SHIT... Mag change, Rack Bang.

I bet I lost 5 seconds.

I did that today on the classifier. Bought an STI Trojan in 40 and the first match shooting single stack after a couple of years shooting Open or Limited.

I showed up one time w/o my rig... :lol: That was funny...

AlamoShooter let me borrow his rig - we swapped it between shooting. Nice to have friends that don't give you too much crap, and let you borrow their stuff when you screw up like that...

I went to the range once without my gun, too... luckily, it was just to the indoor range, and my sweetie was kind enough to bring it up to me ;)

AlamoShooter let me borrow his rig - we swapped it between shooting. Nice to have friends that don't give you too much crap, and let you borrow their stuff when you screw up like that...

I went to the range once without my gun, too... luckily, it was just to the indoor range, and my sweetie was kind enough to bring it up to me ;)

I have done that as well. :)

I had offers to use rig, gun and ammo, but declined and just pasted and ran score sheets. I figured in my dumb-ass forgot to bring the stuff I would teach myself a lesson. So much for that or I wouldn't have forgot one or more after that. :)

Edited by JThompson

Another 'great' mag fubar I witnessed as an RO involved a limited shooter who put a large mag release button on his gun just prior to a local match. On the start signal he took the first shot and his thumb hit the mag release button on recoil and dropped the mag.....reload, repeat after 1 shot.....reload, repeat after one shot, and so on (picking mags off the ground to keep going). He made it through the first stage in what seemed like minutes.

He seemed to have no idea what the problem was. As the RO, I could see his thumb impacting the large button, releasing the mag. Thankfully, it could be removed with an allen wrench. No problems for the rest of the match.

I remember an episode of American Shooter in which an un-named president of a national shooting group went to the line with no speed loaders for his shotgun. Proof that no-one is exempt from the dreaded brain fart.

Paul

I have never done it but have seen it done. Also have seen several people over the years start with a chambered round and no mag. I was ROing one such shooter and when I said "Are you ready", he nodded, I then said "Are you SURE you are ready?". He turned and looked at me with a strange look on his face and said loudly "YES". I know I should not have asked a second time but it was a club match and he was fairly new. After he was done he came to me and said, "now I know why you asked twice, I won't forget that again"

I had almost the exact same thing happen at Area 5 in LaCross a couple years ago.

Then the year after at the Nat. the shooter I was runnning turned and said to me that he does have his mag in the gun this time. It was the same shooter from LaCross. He said he never forgot to do that again.

Get up to go the match in the morning in a big hurry. When I get to the match, NO RIG. I asked every right hand shooter on the range but no had anything, :angry2:BUMMER. Just before the match starts the left hand shooter Eric comes up and tells me has an extra right handed holster..GO FIGURE. Shooters are the best!

start with mags in your bag, sounds like a cool start position, I may have to do that for the next match. Sitting in the chair gun on "x" mags in your range bag.

may be a scenario that may happen in real life, may have to try this one!

You NEVER know when someone will be dumb enough to try and rob the firing line.....and it has happened. nothing wrong with practicing what could happen.

Edited by target1911

• 4 weeks later...
Another 'great' mag fubar I witnessed as an RO involved a limited shooter who put a large mag release button on his gun just prior to a local match. On the start signal he took the first shot and his thumb hit the mag release button on recoil and dropped the mag.....reload, repeat after 1 shot.....reload, repeat after one shot, and so on (picking mags off the ground to keep going). He made it through the first stage in what seemed like minutes.

He seemed to have no idea what the problem was. As the RO, I could see his thumb impacting the large button, releasing the mag. Thankfully, it could be removed with an allen wrench. No problems for the rest of the match.

Yeah, the first time I put the "extended" mag release button on - the one that sticks straight out and doesn't have the little allen wrench attachmate like I have now, I did that. It was my first USPSA match. I felt retarded. I put the mag in, rack the slide, holstered, beep, "BAM", mag drops on the floor. Then I do a quick reload, aim, "BAM", mag falls on the floor. I didn't know if I should stop, pick up the mag, say f-it, put in a new one, etc.

Now fast forward about 80 stages.... (Frank D. Wolv... is my witness)

I put a new magwell on my USPSA limited gun, but forgot my Arredondo +6 magazines, I had 4 of the stock hi-caps left and thought I could move forward with those. Wow. Insert magazine, rack slide, holster, "Beep!", "BAM!", magazine falls to the floor. Grab a new one, slam it home (but don't tug on it) and rack then "BAM!", magazine falls on the floor. I got online and ordered 6 more Arredondo +6's that night and now have over $350 worth.

That shit will NEVER happen again!

I did this at the Iowa Sectional a couple years back. As I recall, it was a weak hand classifier. Not only did I just put the button on before that match, but I spent several hours making the button myself. I was really proud of it..... :wacko: