Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shooter Drills

Mikej

I am getting a 625 soon and wondered if there are some good drills to help me get used to the DA trigger? Should I do a lot of dry fire with snap caps? All suggestions appreciated.

Congrats on the 625!

I would save my money and not buy snap caps, it won't hurt the gun to dry fire it without. Plus, your going to want to make up some dummy rounds to practice reloading also while you dry fire. I just assemble rounds without powder and primer for my dummies.

I will assume you are new to the revo but not to shooting. So you already have a good index that will take only a bit of tweaking to be right at home with the 625. So that really just leaves the difference being the trigger control. There are two schools of thought or methods, staging and pulling through. I assume most revolver shooters in the action shooting games are using the pull through method. I know Jerry has been heard advising folks to keep the trigger moving. Pulling through is the way I shoot as well. Think of it as almost a timing thing. like during a transition you will already be pulling the trigger before your sights are on the next target and by the time the sights are there the shot is ready to break. Same on the draw, I start pulling the trigger before I am fully extended. The key is to keep the trigger moving and not have to wait long for the shot to break once the sight picture is accepted. Your subconscious mind will learn to adjust the speed of the trigger stroke to correspond to the difficulty of the target.

Staging is pulling the trigger a certain distance through its cycle (like till the cylinder locks up)then stopping and waiting till the sight picture is good and then finishing the shot.

I am sure some shooters (maybe be too) may do a little of both. Maybe not really meaning to stage but your subconscious knows the sight pictures not right before the shot is going to break so it slows or stops the trigger stroke till things look right again.

Enjoy your new revolver. We hope to see you with it at some matches this year.

41mag

Dry fire. Pick a spot on a wall and work on your DA pull so as you run the trigger your sights don't move. A red dot sight (or laser) really shows what you're doing as you pull the trigger. You can't hit anything if you're jerking the gun around as you pull the trigger and the long DA pull gives you lots of ways to screw up.

Thanks for the good advice. I am sure looking forward to my Carmonized 625.

Mike,

If you can, come to the South Carolina State Match in May. There is a large revolver turnout and we usually have 2 full squads of revo shooters. You will be able to shoot with other revos and get some tips in stage breakdown and shooting. Try to make it, you will not be sorry.

I'm just a recent B class shooter. Maybe my recent events at learning can help?

Every time you reload your 625 do it the same way. For a example, if you reload you ammo and are checking moon clips in your cylinder, use that check as a reload practice. Some may say its not safe, You don't have to close the cylinder, but getting the moon in the cylinder from your belt is practice.

Think about each motion used in reloading and cut out wasted motion,

I recently was experimenting with some home cast bullet loads. I was able to relax and work on my trigger due to knowing that the bullets were not working as desired. I could relax and just have fun. A smooth relaxed DA trigger pull works much better then a jerky attempt to stage a trigger.

That being said, less effort in pulling the trigger is better for me. A light DA trigger has helped my accuracy and speed.

Dry fire practice to include drawing from your holster is worth while.

Trust your muscle memory, if you know your keeping track of your front sight.

Now if I could learn to hard wire counting to six.

I am getting a 625 soon and wondered if there are some good drills to help me get used to the DA trigger? Should I do a lot of dry fire with snap caps? All suggestions appreciated.

+1 on not buying snap caps, chances are they will not fit your moons correctly. Just load up some of your favorite bullets into cases with no primer (I fill mine primer holes with silicone calking) and then I take a red Sharpie and color the exposed portion of the bullet just as a safety precaution. I made 7 or 8 full moons of these for reload and dry fire practice. Note: ALWAYS check your moons for live round prior to dry fire, or you may upset the wife. :surprise:

The other thing is to learn which reload you works better for you weak hand or strong hand, best I guess is the ability to do both. Good luck.

Has anyone ever used spent primers for their dummy rounds? Just seems like it should work, but maybe not? Also, using a permanent marker to color the dummy rounds would help distinguish them from the real thing.

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and noticed this thread... I use spent primers in my dummy rounds. Plus 2 on no snap caps! I leave the dummies in my practice moon clips and they are easy to keep seperate.

I use both dummy rounds & snap caps. I like to start with snap caps when doing reload drills because they provide the light weight like an empty moon but the length of a partially shot moon. Intermingle a snap cap moon during reload drills to learn to deal with a screwed up reload.