Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do I need for 3-Gun

randy01

OK,

I just took an option on an AR15 while I get the paperwork in order to buy it.

This is what I was thinking about altering:

K-Dot with LARUE mount.

Magpul CTR stock

Magpul BIAD grip

VTac handguard

Jard single stage trigger

And a comp from a local smith

What are your opinions about this setup and what would you change or add

Randy01,

You have a great start! Now all I would do is get lots of ammo and SHOT! You will be happy with all that you have listed I believe. I like the Ergo Grip better but we all have our own little things that make our rifles unique.

What rifle are you doing this to? I know the restrictions and the hoops you have to go through, I did the same to get the German license (Waffen Vacitscard) to receive my HKs in Frankfort. It took me 6 months but it sure was worth the wait. Funny that here in the states (US) our receivers are the controled item and in Germany it is the barrel, at the Stuttgart Gun show I could buy a complete M1 Garand less the barrel with no paperwork:-)

Have some fun!

RLTW,

Scott Hawkins

Looks good.

I agree with jeff about the jp lightened stainless bolt carrier. The vtac sling is one of the best 3gun slings I have used.

I have a jard trigger in one of my rifles and after adjusting per the instructions and then adjusting it so that it didn't bounce and changing the spring that sets the trigger pull weight. It works fine.

Having said that I have a jp in my primary rifle...

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Have had both and definately like the Jard over the JP. Alot better feeling trigger. I have a JP still in one gun and am about to take it out and put a Jard in it and dedicate the JP to the SBR. THe big difference between them for the cost difference, One says JP on it the other dosent.

The JARD may work for some folks just fine, but my year of 3-gun experience with one says they are not quite the quality of the JP metal. The truth is you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get with triggers. The JP costs more because the parts are solid CNC material whereas the JARD is surface hardened metal and the sear will wear faster and start to double on ya' at some point when you can least afford it :-(

IMHO, the JARD is more of a plinkin' grade trigger for the AR. The JP will do ya' right over the long haul in the crucible of competition :-)

not to be funny, but have good quality lube on hand. most of the accessories are secondary to an improved trigger, and everything is secondary to reliable function. run the gun dry or with spot lube and it will stop on you. run it wet and it will go bang every time. i've had good luck with fp-10 and slip2000, but any quality "medium weight" synthetic lube will do. as for triggers, my personal preference is mccormick, as i've had ignition problems with jp in the past (light strikes), but if you have good luck with the jp, keep rockin with it. finally, get a good 40 rd mag. most of the 3 gun or rifle matches i've seen have more than 1 stage where a 40 rd mag will cut out at least 1 reload. have fun!