Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Space City Challenge 2009

ok it is now 9:37PM and the rain has stopped. It rained 5 hours straight somewhere between 4-5 inches per hour. I would imagine that our area got 20 inches of rain today.

It is too bad some people could not stay for the Sunday shoot but this was mother nature at work and I hope it is better weather tomorrow. I have been through a few hurricanes in my day and I have not seen bigger rain than today in any of those. Unbelievable!!!!!

Blow dryers are at work now drying everything off and we will see what happens in the morning. Crazy adventure.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok it is now 9:37PM and the rain has stopped. It rained 5 hours straight somewhere between 4-5 inches per hour. I would imagine that our area got 20 inches of rain today.

It is too bad some people could not stay for the Sunday shoot but this was mother nature at work and I hope it is better weather tomorrow. I have been through a few hurricanes in my day and I have not seen bigger rain than today in any of those. Unbelievable!!!!!

Blow dryers are at work now drying everything off and we will see what happens in the morning. Crazy adventure.

Don't feel bad guys it is a match blessing.

Between the rain, lightning and wind, it made Tulsa look kind of boring. But, there was nowhere near that kind of mud. Tulsa was freaking miserable. This wasn't that bad... just a lot wetter ;)

I love it. :rolleyes:

But Dave, I gotta admit (and Kevin, listen up) after the hurricane at Nationals last year in Tulsa, and the weather you guys have had at BOTH the Doubletap and now at Space City ........ why would anyone ever want to come shoot a match in Texas? :ph34r::roflol:

Is this just an isolated event ? Do you only have bad weather during the BIG MATCHES? Say it aint so! ;)

But Dave, I gotta admit (and Kevin, listen up) after the hurricane at Nationals last year in Tulsa, and the weather you guys have had at BOTH the Doubletap and now at Space City ........ why would anyone ever want to come shoot a match in Texas? :ph34r::roflol:

Dunno what map you're looking at... but Tulsa ain't in Texas... ;):lol:

In 16 years of shooting, I have only shot in rain at two matches. Seriously. There have been small sprinkles here or there, but not rain.

Is this just an isolated event ? Do you only have bad weather during the BIG MATCHES? Say it aint so! ;)

Space City seems to have a short pop-up thunderstorm every year, but nothing at all like this. Even for that area, the rain they had Friday and Saturday is rare...

Dunno what map you're looking at... but Tulsa ain't in Texas... ;):lol:

I know, I know .... same general vicinity though.

In 16 years of shooting, I have only shot in rain at two matches. Seriously. There have been small sprinkles here or there, but not rain.

Geeze ... in just 5 years of shooting USPSA I've shot lots of majors in the rain, including 2 Nationals and a handful of Areas.

I've seen pics from the range, now... Easily as sloppy as Tulsa last year following the rain. But they got a lot more rain than Tulsa did...

Also, rumor has it that Mr. Gentry went to the Dairy Queen, unfortunately :( Don't know what happened...

Also, rumor has it that Mr. Gentry went to the Dairy Queen, unfortunately Don't know what happened...

Inquiring minds would like to know. I am sure that the range is still slick. Keeps us updated.

Results are up at http://www.texassouthsection.com/

edit to add top finishers

Congratulations to the winners of Survivor Space City 2009

OPEN: Shred won, followed by Don Hardy and Edwin Garcia

LIMITED: Manny Bragg, David Weers and Chad Folger

PRODUCTION: Kale Garretson, Sheldon Carruth and Jason Tielke

SINGLE STACK: Tony Phan, Steve Deardorff and Byan Hackney

L-10: Jim Bodkin, Brian McLendon and Jay Rock

REVOLVER: Bill Durocher, Dave Eickhoff and Charles Lafkoff

Edited by CenTX

Well, if Mr. Gentry did go to Dairy Queen I hoped he enjoyed his Blizzard 'cause the results look good to me!

BIG congrats go to TEAM RUDY members Don Hardy for 2nd overall and 1st GM in open. And also to Trace McDonald for 1st C in Limited. :cheers:

Also a shout out to Enos forum member Ken Hebert for 4th overall & 1st A Limited. :)

Sounds like it was a tough weekend for all but through fate, good luck, perseverance, or a mixture of all of the above good folks came out on top.

BTW I can't believe Manny Bragg shot BOTH this match as well as Area 6. :surprise:

I've seen pics from the range, now... Easily as sloppy as Tulsa last year following the rain. But they got a lot more rain than Tulsa did...

It was sloppy today but nothing like Tulsa

Thanks everybody. I gave away a lot of points this morning and thought it would be close

Too bad Dave couldn't stick around as he had a good lead going yesterday

Now to get home and see what the storm did to the house

It was a good match. No long targets but plenty of speed traps for the unwary. The ability of the RO's to reassemble the stages and the berms to shrug off 3 inches of standing water was impressive

Now I know to always take at least 3 pairs of shoes to any match - even if you only plan on shooting one day. Also, the amount of mud flying up after each shot was pretty amazing on some of the stages this morning.

It was total fun this weekend shooting with everyone on Squad 9 - the Rudy guys are great! It's too bad we had to rush off, I would have liked to stayed for the entire day but it's a good thing we got out when we did. They had construction going on I-45 that closed it down to one lane. Traffic was backed up forever in downtown Houston.

Were any of the guns on the prize table won by people who weren't present? (ie- Should I hold out hope or not?) :)

Take it easy guys, and make sure all your gear gets dried out. :lol:

Well, if Mr. Gentry did go to Dairy Queen I hoped he enjoyed his Blizzard 'cause the results look good to me!

Glad to see the rumor wasn't true... ;)

Unfortunately, they're missing my stage 9 score... Shows as DNF, but that was the first stage we shot. Hmmm.... That would make, like, a 10+ place difference in my finish... :lol:

It was sloppy today but nothing like Tulsa

Thanks everybody. I gave away a lot of points this morning and thought it would be close

Too bad Dave couldn't stick around as he had a good lead going yesterday

Now to get home and see what the storm did to the house

It was a good match. No long targets but plenty of speed traps for the unwary. The ability of the RO's to reassemble the stages and the berms to shrug off 3 inches of standing water was impressive

Nice job Shred... love to see that M class take down those GMs... 5% to boot... nicely done bro. ;)

Nice job Shred... love to see that M class take down those GMs... 5% to boot... nicely done bro. ;)

Since they had the "GM's shoot free" offer I was going to propose a 'double-or-nothing' for the M's (&A's!) -- beat more than half the GMs and get your match fee back." I shoulda gone for it :D :D

I'll second that. I beat half the masters.... :rolleyes:

Wait, I shot free anyway. All I had to do was tromp through the same mudhole 2157 times. :wacko:

Ken,

I think I would have traded your mudhole for mine yesterday. :roflol:

Jack

Since they had the "GM's shoot free" offer I was going to propose a 'double-or-nothing' for the M's (&A's!) -- beat more than half the GMs and get your match fee back." I shoulda gone for it :D :D

+1

Great Match and congrats to Roy Don and Trace from Rudy Project. I did not do as well as I liked. I knew the weather was coming and could not get going for the match.

On the Dairy Queen thing Dave brought up. Wow! I was kidding to a guy about that and it ends up here on the forum! The way I shot this match it might have been better - well maybe not but it was fun! Well - after the monsoon that came.

Next stop - Mississippi Classic!