Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resizing 9mm range brass

I am using a Dillon Case Gauge to check my 9mm cartridges. I am having times where the cartridge doesn't drop in freely and protrudes slightly from the entrance and this is no matter what I do. I am using a Lee Factory Crimp Die so the case is actually getting sized twice. On other cases I don't have a problem. Are there just some 9mm cases that won't size down enough for one reason or another? And should I discard those cases as hopeless? Thanks in advance.

I have found-because I shoot 9mm major-that

if the pressure gets a little to high the case will be

that much harder to size properly. I also use a

EGW undersize die-it does help- but for me not

all the time! :unsure:

+1 to Chills' and chirpy's comments.

Even a little soot or dirt will bind some cases that'd otherwise pass.

Another problem is the extractor rim. If it's burred it will make the round hang up in the gauge at the rim itself. You can file down the burr, use push through die (which I don't think exists for a tapered case like the 9x19) or a case roller to get it. Actually, though, most barrels will accept a burred case because the rim never goes inside the chamber. Try chamber checking the rounds that are no go.

I thought the U-die is a modified LFCD ground down to just below the carbide ring to allow more of the case to go into the die, but with the depriming pin installed instead of the taper crimp. My U-die from EGW came in a Lee box w/ LFCD label and a handwritten "U-die" on it.

I think I've had the same problem the OP is describing w/ some range pickup .40 brass. The last 1/8" to 3/16" of the case won't fit into a LE Wilson case gage after resizing using my RCBS resizing die or even a LFCD, but with the "EGW" U-die it does -I think because it resizes the entire case almost down to the bevel above the rim. From reading other threads, I gather this is caused by pistol barrels that don't support the entire case, right? (aka Glock-bulge..?)

The nice thing is, once I resize the cases initially through the U-die, the subsequent reloading after shooting from my wife's Kimber can be done with just the regular resizing die.

PS, don't mean to use the term Glock-bulge as a disparaging term, I just don't know any other term for it.

Edited by 2MoreChains

I thought the U-die is a modified LFCD ground down to just below the carbide ring to allow more of the case to go into the die, but with the depriming pin installed instead of the taper crimp. My U-die from EGW came in a Lee box w/ LFCD label and a handwritten "U-die" on it.

I think I've had the same problem the OP is describing w/ some range pickup .40 brass. The last 1/8" to 3/16" of the case won't fit into a LE Wilson case gage after resizing using my RCBS resizing die or even a LFCD, but with the "EGW" U-die it does -I think because it resizes the entire case almost down to the bevel above the rim. From reading other threads, I gather this is caused by pistol barrels that don't support the entire case, right? (aka Glock-bulge..?)

The nice thing is, once I resize the cases initially through the U-die, the subsequent reloading after shooting from my wife's Kimber can be done with just the regular resizing die.

PS, don't mean to use the term Glock-bulge as a disparaging term, I just don't know any other term for it.

I use an undersized EGW die that I ground down the bottom to where the carbide ring starts with excellent results. I only average one piece (or less!) per thousand of loaded 9mm that does not chamber check no matter what fired brass I use.

This wouldn't be A-MERC headstamped brass, would it?

that stuff sucks...

I never did investigate it much, but I have always had problems with A-MERC marked brass dropping in flush with the case gauge and then dropping right out.

The only range brass I would pick up is once fired factory. With so many people shooting 9mm Major at very high pressures I would not trust those cases for any additional reloading.

I am using a Dillon Case Gauge to check my 9mm cartridges. I am having times where the cartridge doesn't drop in freely and protrudes slightly from the entrance and this is no matter what I do. I am using a Lee Factory Crimp Die so the case is actually getting sized twice. On other cases I don't have a problem. Are there just some 9mm cases that won't size down enough for one reason or another? And should I discard those cases as hopeless? Thanks in advance.

The stock U-die will go low enough that you shouldn't ever have an issue.

Get the Redding CSD, it will seat the bullets straight enough that they will gauge. Your problem now is more than likely crooked bullets.

If you have some rounds that won't drop into your chamber, I suggest you keep it separately in a box or bag. When you get to the range to practice, pick up the brass around your area before you shoot. Start your practice with this ammo, doing one shot drills so that any jams won't mess up your concentration. When you've finished shooting this ammo, stop shooting, pick up the brass and head directly to the garbage can and dump the brass in the trash. 9x19 brass is too cheap to have to do crazy stuff.

Get the Redding CSD, it will seat the bullets straight enough that they will gauge. Your problem now is more than likely crooked bullets.

I think this might be the real answer.

Also when you lock down the size die be sure you have a case in the die so it will align with the tool head. I had all kinds of issues until I started doing that. Also some times the case rims will have burs on them from the extractor and those I clean up with a small file. Just be sure not to touch the web area of the case if you do.

Mule

On other cases I don't have a problem. Are there just some 9mm cases that won't size down enough for one reason or another? And should I discard those cases as hopeless?

I had the same problem with brass from a guy who shot 9mm Major in a Tanfoglio. I couldn't get his brass to fit the chamber of my Glock 17. I tried to avoid picking up his brass, but once in a while a couple of cases would sneak into my rangebag.

There is no way to resize it aqll the way down, unless you have a rollsizer.

So, I used to resize all the brass, gauge the brass alone and ditch the cases that didn't fit the chamber. After that, I'd load. Quite cumbersome, but it beats the hell out of unloading with the hammer.

I switched ranges a couple of months ago and no more problems. So try to locate the shooter if you can, or see if you can identify the problem brass.