Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major bullet

RickyH

I use 124gr and know a number of people who use 121gr. One thing to consider with 9mm major is the lower case volume vs 38 super or longer 9mm cases (9x21, 9x23). I strongly suggest that you search through the 9mm/38 sub-section of the reloading forum. You will find plenty of good information on reloading 9mm major. It's a great way to find a good starting formula and you can tailor for your gun.

What is a good 9mm major bullet weight?

A bit more information would be helpful for comparisons to other open formulas.

What manufacture gun, barrel, twist rate, ports?

The first test would be what weight bullet & what powders

make power factor in your gun.

Then what bullet will be accurate enough at distances

your clubs puts their targets out to ?

If you bought a used gun the seller should have a good formula to start with .

If it is to be a new gun the smith should have a very good starting point .

• 1 month later...

I use 125 gr. Zero jhp over 7.8 grains of True Blue and get consistently good accuracy. I have noticed surprising accuracy differences with other brands; for a while I thought my c-more was going bad. For now, I'll stick with what works.

115's shoot the best for me, not quite as soft as a 121/124/125 but the dot track is a little flatter and faster to recover. All I shoot in my Open gun after doing a ton of testing are Zero 115 JHP and they are extremely accurate. 3n-37 and Silhouette are the two 'best' powders for me. If my gun would tolerate the filth of HS-6 I would switch in a heartbeat, it shoots super soft and accurately in my gun but it is far to dirty burning for anything even resembling reasonable function.