Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camelback Connundrum

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a sport-model "Snowdawg" Camelbak for snowboarding. The insulated hose and bite valve cover do not prevent freezing in very cold temperatures. When it's well below freezing, I have to stick the hose down the front of my jacket to let my body heat prevent it from freezing.

I snagged a couple of camel-back style water carriers over the summer by mail order (Campmor.com). I think I could be satisfied with just about any of them in terms of features, but I've found that none of them have shoulder straps long enough for my to wear the darned thing.

:(

If you just want to carry water and maybe an energy bar or other snack then Viper is the way to go. If you want to carry a lot of other stuff then the MULE or HAWG are the way to go.

I only want to carry hydration and snacks. I don't backback or hike and when I bicycle I am not going far enough to even think about clothes or anything like that.

The nice part about the Viper (and some of the other Military versions) is that the reservoir is baffled. The sloshing around just doesn't happen with these. That bugs some people (me) but not others.

The bad part about the baffle is that the nifty drying hanger that Camelback makes for the other bladders doesn't work. No big deal.

Tom,

I just bought a Blackhawk Patrol Pack from lpstactical.com and love it. It has enough space to carry my 8 mags, 1 gun, ammo, and all other assorted spare parts, tools and accessories that might be needed including a stool, which slipped down on the side of the pack where it has openings to carry radio antennas or a machete. It also has holes pre-cut to install a Hydra storm bladder, however a Camelbak bladder fits nicely. Everything is buckles instead of zippers, 4 small external pouches on the back of the pack, 2 larger pouches on each side. On the inside there are 2 large pockets on the front and back (one is for the bladder, I keep my gun in the other) and 2 small, yet very deep pockets on each side. 38/357 mag ammo boxes stack nicely in the bottom of the main internal compartment.

Tom,

That's the cheapest place by far, buying from Blackhawk direct I think its around $220 + shipping. I had previously ruled out Blackhawk due to price, but since I was close to spending $189.95 + shipping ona Guga Ribas pack from speedshooters. I decided to take a look at BH. I was even planning on spending the full price at BH, but then a friend gave me a link to LPS, and I think my jaw hit the keyboard when I saw $179.95 shipped. It even has a good carry handle on the top for when you're just going around the corner and don't need to it on your shoulders.

The best part about the camelback is the "hydrolink" fitting. You can pop the bite valves off, which makes it great for hunting. I have two bladders in my Mule, one for me, one for the dog. It's the only practical way to carry enough water for me and the dog during early season hunting.

As far as "deals" go, Cactus was about as cheap as anybody, especially once you added in what you weren't getting in a consumer-grade Camelback.

Camelback's warranty is also second to none. I had couple issues when I first got mine. Made the call. Bam! New parts showed up. Don't think you'll get that with someone else.

FWIW.

On long mtb rides, I usually carry two bladders in my Mule. One with an energy drink and the other with water. I have gone through 170 ounces of liquids in the span of 4 hours.

The baffle isn't necessary to prevent sloshing. After you fill up the bladder, flip it upside down and suck all the air out of it. Sloshing only occurs if there is air present.

ok i've narrowed it down to two packs.

1. CamelBak BFM in od green 2500 cu in space, 5.5 lbs empty.

2. Blackhawk Patrol Pack coyote tan 1200 cu in space, 3.5 lbs empty.

any thoughts on the two? keep in mind this will be my range bag, so stuff has to fit.

• 1 year later...
Anyone have input on the Thermoback?

I just want something for hydration not to carry anything in.

If it's the military grade camelback it's good. I'm very glad I got one with the big cap. Makes cleaning easy. Shudder to think what it'd be like with the little cap. CB also backs up their product. I had a couple problems, and they promptly shipped replacement parts, no arguments.