Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To California

dbagwell

My job has recently taken me from Arizona to California. AZ is a great state when it comes to guns and gun laws. I was also lucky to shoot at the range that many of the top pros call home. I have to admit, I'm stunned by all of the crazy gun laws here in CA, but I digress. I never paid much attention to L-10 in AZ, but now that I reside in CA I'm starting to notice little blurbs here and there about L-10 being designed for states with hi-cap restrictions or other limitations. I'm assuming that CA is one of those states. So, I'm curious, does that mean CA doesn't have or allow Open or Limited competitions? Is it even legal to possess hi-cap mags? How does it work here? Help!

My job has recently taken me from Arizona to California. AZ is a great state when it comes to guns and gun laws. I was also lucky to shoot at the range that many of the top pros call home. I have to admit, I'm stunned by all of the crazy gun laws here in CA, but I digress. I never paid much attention to L-10 in AZ, but now that I reside in CA I'm starting to notice little blurbs here and there about L-10 being designed for states with hi-cap restrictions or other limitations. I'm assuming that CA is one of those states. So, I'm curious, does that mean CA doesn't have or allow Open or Limited competitions? Is it even legal to possess hi-cap mags? How does it work here? Help!

IANAL, but here's my take on it:

Importing, manufacturing, selling and giving magazines that can accept more than 10 rounds is a felony.

Possession is explicitly legal.

Borrowing mags from a friend, as long as he is in the vicinity (same squad-ish) is legal. Borrowing mags from your friend who isn't at the range is NOT.

There's no constructive possession here, so importing, buying and selling disassembled magazines is perfectly legal. Good luck trying to convince an out of state dealer that this is legal though ;)

However, DO NOT import parts and assemble them in-state -> felony.

Plenty of people have mags from before the ban so Limited is about as big in California as it it is other states.

Edited by gose

D-Bags,

Welcome to the forums and welcome to the state with the most USPSA members! If you have some time to waste you can read the stuff at http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html concerning the state gun laws. PM me if you have any questions. See you at Norco or Pala some time.

Later,

Chuck

You REALLY need to study - I mean STUDY - your Kali gun laws. There are many many esoteric laws and you need to be WELL informed...no hi-caps, etc, etc...I have no working knowledge other than the fact that Kali is very tough/restricted.

Go Study! Stay Free!

Guys,

Thanks for your feedback. It sounds like I need to attend some matches and see some things for myself. I'm looking forward to checking into the ranges that you've mentioned. It appears that Norco is pretty close.

DB

Guys,

Thanks for your feedback. It sounds like I need to attend some matches and see some things for myself. I'm looking forward to checking into the ranges that you've mentioned. It appears that Norco is pretty close.

DB

If you are actually in Carlsbad, Pala is about 1/2 the distance than Norco. But, Norco has a match most every Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
I was raised in Cali and left courtesy of the USMC. I really miss the beach's and real Mexican food but you guys can keep the silly gun laws.

I hear ya...after coming over from AZ and learning about the gun laws here, I was thinking WTF? I still own a home in the Phoenix area and I'm hoping to get back there sometime in 2009.

If you make California wages, retire, then move out one can live well.................but then thats why people hate us..........Anyways....If you borrow the hi cap mags for open & limited.....your good to go......

I was raised in Cali and left courtesy of the USMC. I really miss the beach's and real Mexican food but you guys can keep the silly gun laws.

Same here Kevin, except the Army was the reason I left. Of course that brought me to the great state of AZ. :D

Neal in AZ

Spend some time on calguns.net We have a bunch of great information on there. 44mag.com sells magazine rebuild kits to people in California. I know a lot of people, including myself, that bought a lot of hi caps before the ban for guns that they did not even own at the time. What ever you do, do not bring your hi caps in the state unless that are broken down into pieces and do not re-assemble them until you leave the state.

A lot of people are working on changing the laws through the court and we have made good progress over the last 3 years. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. I'll be spending some time on those sites which were mentioned. Now that I reside in CA I can truly appreciate what the NRA and others are doing to protect our freedoms. California is breaking the law IMHO!!!

A question for anyone who knows or who can show me where in the law. Can a guy living in California own an AR upper? Just the upper 20" with flash supressor fixed carry handle? I have a guy who wants to buy mine but he lives there.