Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2-stage trigger good or bad

rc2125

Setting up an AR for local 3-gun matches. Wondering if a 2-stage trigger is a good or bad trigger for this type of shooting? My thinking leans towards using a single stage for quick splits, but maybe theres something more to it? Either way, I needed a better trigger than the stock creepy/grindy ones I have right now, for coyote hunting this winter. Everyone seems to be sold out of CMC or JP's right now or they are $100 higher priced than retail (the one's I found in stock). Wanted to get the same trigger for all my AR rifles, and only certain ones will work on my R-25 .243 rifle, due to the bolt type (not open on the bottom half like most AR's are, so the hammer can't stick up much, like some of the aftermarkets do). Any insight would be appreciated! I have two RRA nat match 2-stage triggers showing up today.

RC

Edited by rc2125

I don't think 2 stages are either good or bad. Most, including myself, prefer a single stage for 3 gunning as it theoretically has a quicker reset and is more like a psitol trigger. But I have a lower with a RRA 2 stage trigger and I don't shoot it measurable worse than my single stage triggers.

If you normally go with a very light trigger then go with a single stage. A two will gain you nothing. If you would rather go with a heavier trigger then a two stage can give you both worlds. The overall weight is a bit heavy. My NRA trigger is 4.5 pound. But when you pull through the first stage you come up against a nice light 1or 1.5 pound second stage.

This is a nice thing for those long shot. You pull through the 1st stage. Hold against the 2nd stage and trip your shot off with a nice light pull. For the quick shots you just pull through the whole thing without noticing the transition between the two stages.

Seems complicated but you get used to it quickly.

Yankee dog

I have a Jewell (2 stage), a JP (1 stage) and an Accuracy Speaks (1). I can get a lighter trigger with the Jewell than with the other two. And I would argue that the 2 stage is more like a 1911 trigger in some ways than a 1 stage.

Normally one stage triggers don't have any take-up at all. On a two stage the 1st stage can emulate the take-up that you normally have with 1911's, Glocks, etc. But with the Jewell the reset is like the Beretta in that you have to go past the reset for the second shot --- with the 1911 you can start the second shoot right after the reset.

I feel I have better control with the Jewell due to the "slack". I take-up the slack and I know that only a little more pressure and the trigger will break. It's just like when I have a precise shot with a 1911 --- take-up the slack and finnese the rest of the squeeze.

Due to the lighter trigger pull the splits for me are slightly faster with the Jewell.

I have always used and love JP triggers, however I played with the AR Gold last week at Ft.Benning and it is so far the nicest break and reset I have ever felt.

Have not played with one in live fire but it seems like the new standard.

http://americantrigger.com/

Note: I don't own one yet, but it seems nice.

Note: I prefer a JP single stage for action shooting, and a Jewel 2 stage for High Power.

Edited by blkbrd

That american trigger looks like a winner! I did install the rock river triggers after work today, HUGE improvement over the stock triggers in my M&P15 and my R-25 rifles! M&P install took like 5 minutes. R-25 had an issue that became apparent during function testing after install was done. If you hold the trigger back after pulling the trigger, pull the charging handle back, the bolt carrier would "catch" on the highest part of cocked hammer. About thirty seconds with a fine file, a dremel and some bluing made it function as it should. I would guess that under live fire it would have "forced" the bolt over the hammer and something would have worn in, glad I caught it! Can't wait to hit the range tomorrow! Thanks for the replies and the link to those american triggers to. The new two stage is pretty nice, slight take up with hardly any pull weight, and then a nice crisp break, seems like 3 or 4 pounds(noticeably lighter than stock pull), better reset than stock had also.

Edited by rc2125

I've used both, I used a RR 2 stage and liked it very much but I now shoot the JP.

For me the reset on the JP cant be beat for double taps and for long shots in 3gun, you dont

have time to set up the first stage. You just set up your sights and twitch the shot off...

I have always used and love JP triggers, however I played with the AR Gold last week at Ft.Benning and it is so far the nicest break and reset I have ever felt.

Have not played with one in live fire but it seems like the new standard.

http://americantrigger.com/

Note: I don't own one yet, but it seems nice.

Note: I prefer a JP single stage for action shooting, and a Jewel 2 stage for High Power.

Ouch ! $300.00 ?

Single stage triggers suck goat ba..... well, suffice it to say I don't like them. I really need to prep and press each shot, no matter what distance or speed I am shooting at, and it doesn't matter what gun I am shooting. Even my Open pistol has a two stage trigger in it as do all 1911 types with a properly configured trigger mechanism. Single stage triggers are vastly more difficult to prep and press than a two stage trigger. I have had one of the AR gold triggers on order for a month or more, as soon as it comes in it is going to replace a JP that breaks like a glass rod at 3#, then I will move the JP to a gun I hardly ever shoot. The single stage JP is OK for up close blasting but to place a shot I really find a two stage trigger with a clean break a great advantage.

I have a couple guns with the RR 2 stage, but my match guns have single stage, either JP or Timney. I tried the 2 stage last year, I froze on the trigger a lot in the hosing stages. Like someone said, you need to release the trigger way past the reset point before you can start the next trigger pull. It may not be much slower to release the trigger between shots, but it IS slower when you don't release it enough!

Hi! New guy here :rolleyes: . Anyway...for two-stage triggers, I prefer the improved RRA from ADCO and WOA...

http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.c...torynumber=1738

http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.c...torynumber=1499

FWIW...

Jim

I hope they do good with barrels too. They are cutting me an 18 this week for my new AR build...I hope.

They also sell the Geissele (sp) trigger...anyone try these for 3gun?

I hope they do good with barrels too. They are cutting me an 18 this week for my new AR build...I hope.

If you're looking for good barrel's and awesome customer service, give Denny a call at Global-Tactical: http://global-tactical.com/ . He's doing a Noveske Afghan 14.5" barrel with a pinned flash hider for me right now. He's one of the best.

Giesselle triggers are probably the best two stage out there, just very hard to find and in great demand. If you want a great reliable trigger job, get with Bill Springfield. He has an outstanding reputation: http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html

Jim

If you're looking for good barrel's and awesome customer service, give Denny a call at Global-Tactical: http://global-tactical.com/ . He's doing a Noveske Afghan 14.5" barrel with a pinned flash hider for me right now. He's one of the best.

Giesselle triggers are probably the best two stage out there, just very hard to find and in great demand. If you want a great reliable trigger job, get with Bill Springfield. He has an outstanding reputation: http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html

Jim

Thanks for the info.

I didn't even think about Bill - I know him from HK rifles. I had a really nice PSG1-style trigger that he built with a shoe...super crisp. I wish I'd kept that trigger when I sold it...surely I'll get another 91 but Bill is no longer making those. Real nice folks too!!

Edited by hk_mtbr