Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cut off the fixed carry handle and leave the sight?

dickwholliday

i've got a AR M4 parts gun that i'm thinking about milling off the front portion of the fixed carry handle sort of like some of you guys have done with the detachable carry handles......after that i plan to flatten the top of the upper and add a piece of picatinny......and run an aimpoint on it.....

over the years i've seen early target AR's with the entire fixed carry handle removed and a piece of rail mounted on them for scopes.......

anybody got a picture of one or done anything like i'm proposing......thanks....D I C K

i found one that Rock River makes that is basically the same thing i'm thinking about but i'm trying to do it myself with what i have on hand.....i have access to a mill ect..........thanks.....D I C K

Dick,

That is just some simple machining. Brownell's has Picitiny blank stock that you can make the base to the length you want and bolt on. I suggest leaving a ridge down the center of the reciever to center the rail. Drill and tap the upper, and match the holes on the rail, use some epoxy between the parts, and you have what you want. :cheers:

Just buy a new upper. much easier and it will be correct.

+1... I'm not clear what the proposed modification buys you. I'd also be concerned about relying on screws tapped into an aluminum receiver (though inserts might be an option). Maybe this would have been a good idea before the days of the flat top receiver, but not now. An upper receiver can be had for around $100, and a suitable A2 rear sight for another $50-100... you can recover a lot of this investment by selling your old A2 upper. Here's an example:

TacIronRifle.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

if i were to do this again i wouldn't take any metal off the top of the upper except for a flat place at the front where the carry handle comes down onto the upper and a flat place near the rear sight......the upper is very thin so i would cut a slot on the underside of the picatinny that would fit where the mold joint is on the top of the upper and that would give me much more metal for the screws to bite......also if you could be making money doing something for the half a day or so that it took to do this you'd be better served to buy a upper like this that RRA sells........D I C K