Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Impact on The Sportsman Channel

I was surfing the tv channels last night and noticed that Charter added the Sportsman Channel. Cool, now I can get Personal Defense TV again. I also ran across a show called "Tactical Impact".

I saw the "Multiplying Individual Firepower" episode. Did anyone else see it? It may be my imagination, but I could swear both dudes swept the cameraman a couple times with hot automatic rifles (with a SAW and M-16). Regardless, I guess the camerman didn't mind being uprange of a live gun.

Darren

I found that show a couple of months agao. I like it a lot. Very good production qualities and some great seqments on hardware.

yeah i saw that episode, i thought it must be a remote camera?

I found that show a couple of months agao. I like it a lot. Very good production qualities and some great seqments on hardware.

yeah i saw that episode, i thought it must be a remote camera?

Naw, the camera moved like someone was holding it. Oh well, if he didn't have a problem with it........... :surprise:

• 4 weeks later...

Month old thread but still, want to add a couple comments. The shows content can be very interesting but, I can't figure out who the base audience is. And last the two angle shots of the person speaking to one camera looks bad. There, I said it. :)

Jim

Jim,

I don't have Sportsmans Channel but the Outdoor Life Network, dropped Guns & Ammo TV (thank goodness) after dropping Personal Defense TV (yep...glad about that one too). In their place though it appears a new proliferation of what I like to call, "tactical TV". This past Wednesday, there were 2 shows at Blackwater (Shooting Gallery did an episode; one of the new shows went there as well). The new shows are typical OLN. One hosted by Michael Bane & Michael Janich and some skinny dork trying to teach Phil Strader how to shoot.

The other was a NRA production that was okay, but the production was more than a little cheesy. Watching the typical gunwriter that can't shoot (thank goodness for Pat Sweeney) work a Mossberg shotgun at Blackwater.

I'll give them a chance for the first couple of episodes but thanks to DVR, they can be quickly deleted.

Rich

Bit of a thread drift...

Are there any other channels and/or websites that have practical/tactical shooting shows on them? I don't have TSC, are their shooting shows any good? Worth me paying another $10/month for package that includes TSC? I'm really wrestling with the idea of buying some good shooting videos vs. paying for the package and getting TSC. What do you guys think?

Bit of a thread drift...

I'm really wrestling with the idea of buying some good shooting videos vs. paying for the package and getting TSC. What do you guys think?

I enjoy all the shows but in no way are they as instructional as a shooting video.

They are more like a current events for firearms. You do get to see some different takes on things as every instuctor has their own method. I think the shows are the best thing on TV/Cable ;but they are not a substitue for good instruction.

Edited by Alwaystryin

Gun writers can't shoot? Who sez? All those critters just died of a heart attack? :roflol:

There are people at industry range functions who won't even fondle the manufacturer's hardware while I'm shooting. Once I walk off the line to take photos, though, they're all over the free ammo.

^^^ You're the exception to the rule Patrick.

I think what gets me, and a lot of fellow BE'ers/USPSA'ers are these so called "gun writers" getting into a weaver style stance shooting off a half dozen rounds, blinking and flinching for each shot.

It kinda makes me do this: :angry2:

What would be cool would be a "USPSA TV" show or a "Practical Pistol TV" show, but I'm thinking the target audience would be so small that it could be difficult to fund and/or get sponsors for.

But... on the flip side, I have run into a lot of people who watch Norm Abram's New Yankee Workshop and This Old House who have no intention of buying a $1,500 Delta Unisaw or remodeling their kitchens.

I was watching and recording PDTV this weekend when the "expert" (their website credits Tiger McKee from Shootrite) shooting an AR-15 from a prone supported position. He stated that you could use the magazine as a monopod for support. :surprise:

I went back to watching fishing.

You mean you can't ???

G

I was watching and recording PDTV this weekend when the "expert" (their website credits Tiger McKee from Shootrite) shooting an AR-15 from a prone supported position. He stated that you could use the magazine as a monopod for support. :surprise:

Huh? Was I dreaming when I've done exactly that (and personally watched others do the same) at matches?

I find the magazine as a monopod to be very stable and easy to use. The 30rnd magazine is just the right length.

I think I read in "Black Magic" that they call that "Canadian Style Prone", because.. well..... the Canadian's did it at a match and some folks liked it. It does get you lower to the ground than typical prone.

Edited by Kevin J

I wait impatiently all week for Wednesday Night on the Range!

They dropped PDTV, but Bane has that new show that is really informative and educational.

More people could benefit from learning about self defense in the home and on the street.