Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun for new 3 gunner

Kyle O

I want to get a shotgun to shoot 3 gun matches.

I want a semi auto. brand? type? etc. and Why.

Are the "inertial driven" guns very good vs. gas operating systems. please elaborate some. I plan on researching some after this is posted.

What "parts" would you recommend such as brand of sidesaddle, shotgun equivalent of a magwell?, tube extentions 8+1 or 9+1 etc...

I want to get lots of good help before I drop a dime on anything.

I don't want to go open class, but whatever is right under that. (really, I haven't looked up anything yet, but I know I want to do this)

anything really.

thanks everyone.

I don't shoot 3-gun, but bang away at birds all season long. I have one of the Benelli M2's w/ the comfortech stock, and it's become my go-to-gun. Have another semi-auto that has been collecting dust alongside a couple pumps and o/u's because I like the M2 so much. Not everyone likes them, but for me it's been the perfect all around shotgun for chukars, pheasants, ducks, and clays.

I've read reviews from people complaining that the inertia system wouldn't function unless they shouldered the gun properly, but for me it's always worked -and I've put it to the test in some pretty challenging conditions and footing in pursuit of feathered foe... Recoil is about the same as my SX2, despite all the comfortech hype.

I will say that I've heard that inertia guns are designed to be shot as is, that is without too much in the way of attachments other than maybe a scope or red-dot sight. I think that is why Benelli designed the Argos system for the M4 (their military shotgun offering) that is not an inertia system. So tricking a M2 out as a competition gun may require some sort of tuning or adjusting (but can't say for sure since I haven't tried). The longest ext mag tube I've seen to fit the M2 is a +3. Stock, without the plug, the mag holds 4.

One other strike against the Benelli (and I hate to defame my M2) is after market parts seem to be either very expensive or hard to come by (if they exist at all). OTOH, I have not felt the need to mod my M2 at all, save a FO sight and sling.

Cheers

I currently use a Mossberg model 930. Brand new semi-auto for around $500 depending on version. It currently had a 8 round tube so it is 8+1. Works well for me. They have a "tactical" version called the SPX which is 6+1, 18.5" bbl, ghost ring rear sight and f/o AR style front. If you get a standard selfdefense model it is 4+1, 18.5" bbl and bead front sight. Choate is the maker of the extension for the SPX and what I have on mine. Hope this helps.

Opinions vary... But....Buy once and buy a Bennelli. :cheers:

I know everyone says that you have to have a semi to be competitive. I've been shooting a Mossberg 590A1 for two years now. I do not think I have ever been beaten by a semi. I've been beaten by better shooters who happened to be shooting semis at the time. And I have beaten plenty of shooters with bennelis and remmies. After two years of shooting 3-gun, I have bought a Benneli. It was a s good deal so I bought it. We have a monthly knockdown steel match locally and I am planning to shoot both my mossberg and my benelli side by side in at least a few of those matches to find out exactly how much advantage a semi is compared to a pump when the skill level is identical.

FYI, Any gun will choke on you in compitition. That been said, I have seen about every brand shot gun jam in a match. The M2's are very nice. I my self shoot an 870 and don't feel I give up much to any auto out side of the open guns. From what I have seen with the shotguns is it as much about reloading as it is the gun itself, no completely of course, but reload speed will make you or break you if all your hits are as good as the next guy.

Good luck,

Jon

Reloading is really where it is at when it comes to 3-gun shotgunning. BUT - there is a reason that the top shooters in Tactical are shooting the Benelli M1 or M2. Bullet proof reliability is the main reason. I have both the Benelli M1, the Benelli M2 (20 ga.), and an FN SLP MK1 and I use the FN in competition now, I also have an 1100 that I borrow to new shooters. The FN has been as reliable as the Benelli but with the recoil of the 1100 gas system. It also points very well for me.

As for the pump vs semi-auto debate. A good pump guy will keep up with an average semi-auto shooter in competition. Put a good semi-auto shooter against a good pump shooter and you will start to see the semi-auto pull away. Basically - put two shooters of the same skill level on each weapon, the semi-auto will slowly pull away. That is until you start being forced to shoot in compromising positions (like prone, or from around a barricade, or from crouching under a low barricade) then even an average semi-auto shooter will pull away from a good pump shooter.

YMMV

The FN SLP MK1 is what I decided to get (fellow newbie) for tactical. So far no regrets. I saved about $600 compared to a Benelli M2 Field. I wasn't looking to save $$. I just really liked how the FN fit me and I had heard good things about the performance. Good luck and practice your reloads!

Basically - put two shooters of the same skill level on each weapon, the semi-auto will slowly pull away.

YMMV

That is exactly what I expect to prove or disprove this spring. I will have to get a lot better at reloading my Benneli first. I am yet to fire a single shot from it, but I already have a negative impression because it takes quite a bit of force to get the shell past the magazine latch as compared to my Mossberg where they slide smooth as butter.

Slav

thanks for the imput.

I am leaning twoard a benelli, but a still pondering for a while yet.

About reloading, I plan on practicing this as I have noticed that the guys who reload in the blink of an eye always kick ass far and beyond everyone else.

So....what stuff is there on the bottom end of the shotguns to aid in quickly slamming the shells in the tube? I'm thinking the equivalent to a mag funnel on the bottom of a handgun.

Or is there such a thing?

• 2 weeks later...
Reloading is really where it is at when it comes to 3-gun shotgunning. BUT - there is a reason that the top shooters in Tactical are shooting the Benelli M1 or M2. Bullet proof reliability is the main reason. I have both the Benelli M1, the Benelli M2 (20 ga.), and an FN SLP MK1 and I use the FN in competition now, I also have an 1100 that I borrow to new shooters. The FN has been as reliable as the Benelli but with the recoil of the 1100 gas system. It also points very well for me.

As for the pump vs semi-auto debate. A good pump guy will keep up with an average semi-auto shooter in competition. Put a good semi-auto shooter against a good pump shooter and you will start to see the semi-auto pull away. Basically - put two shooters of the same skill level on each weapon, the semi-auto will slowly pull away. That is until you start being forced to shoot in compromising positions (like prone, or from around a barricade, or from crouching under a low barricade) then even an average semi-auto shooter will pull away from a good pump shooter.

YMMV

Pumps are also difficult to shoot prone. Last two years at FB3G had prone SG stages :sight: