Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm one of those survival type guys. I have a kit in the house J.I.C a tornado blows through.

I've got one in my Jeep. I've got one that is in my dayhike pack that goes with me when I'm out hiking.

Kit is a loose term. In the house It's just stuff I've got in the stairwell closet, where we'll all go when the fit hits the shan. In there we've got canned food, water, blankets, etc. etc. Lots more in it but just wanted to illustrate that my home "kit" is really just a seperate storage area for the essentials.

Just curious, who all here is a "boy scout"? And is it just a vehicle thing? Or is it in the house, the office?

My daughter will be driving soon so I've been putting her kit together. I don't believe in the pre-made kits - I don't need margin requirments dictating whether she lives or dies. Plus I want her knowing what's there and having some degree of knowledge about how to use this stuff. Was just wondering who is like minded . . .

Then the added question is, do I throw a heater in the mix? Yes she knows how to shoot but she doesn't do it much. I've got guns in all mine, which I'm sure breaks some law somewhere but I speed everynow and again too. I'd rather live if push comes to shove.

I don't understand why guns aren't part of the survival kit anyhow. Very few books recommend them, but a .22 in the woods could easily mean the difference between rabbit stew and fern stew. And where I grew up??? I don't know about you guys but a little protection from the animal kingdom at least helped me sleep at night.

So let's have it. Do you have a survival pack? And what is that "unique" item that likely isn't in the common packs. Oh - and why do you have it in there? I like learning new tricks . . . :D

In my truck. ~$100.00 cash, a couple of Bic lighters, a heavy blanket, a coat, a pair of socks stuffed into a pair of boots and a .22 rifle and ammo usually. I always have a few bottles of water in my ice chest from work or what I take to matches. Certainly not a bug out pack but enough for most break downs in civilized territories..

THE VEHICLE

Not that I travel in the wild, I make sure each vehicle has a small first aid kit, a prepackaged kit purchased from Sam's Club that has a few tools, small air compressor and a lug wrench with a long handle for better leverage. In the tool kits I add both a fixed blade hunting knife and a large pocket (folding) knife. Each vehicle also hasa at least one large warm blanket and a gallon jug of fresh water. The single most important safety item is a cell phone and a phone car charger. Though the girls don't abide by it (I have a wife and two daughters), my vehicle usually has at least one firearm in it (often more) whenever it leaves the driveway.

THE HOME

Very few tornadoes but we do have the occasional hurricane. In the house we have a larger first aid kit, sleeping bags and inflatable mattresses for each member of the family. Along with several kerosene lamps, we have a kerosene heater (not to be used indoors), a propane gas stove, several good battery operated lanterns with a two week supply of batteries. A battery operated radio and television helps keep us informed. We make it a point to keep a two week supply of canned foods and a little over 40 - 1 gallon jugs of fresh water in reserve at all times. Note that this stuff will be used only if we get stuck at the house. During Hurricane Ike, we moved our operations from Texas to Oklahoma for several weeks. Our subdivision about 30 miles north of Houston did not have power for almost 3 weeks. Water did not return for an additional week. Since I'm retired, I do not have the responsibility to stay in an area having weather problems unless I choose to do so.

The more I thought on this, the more ill-prepared I found myself to be. I have basic first aid stuff from my EMT kit and flashlights and guns, but no provisions for having to spend the night in the vehicle and keeping warm if I had to. I also realized my hunting backpack needed some overhaul in it's contents.

thanks for bringing the topic to mind.

dj

I'd highly recommend reading Cody Lundin's book, 98.6 Degrees, the Art of Keeping Your A$$ Alive

He does a good job of explaining what happens when you get too hot, too cold or dehydrated. He does not recommend a packaged kit because everyone's circumstances are different but his basics are like Jake's list with a couple of trash bags, some flagging tape, lot of good quality duct tape wrapped on various things (not a big roll), and some others things like 2% tincture of iodine for water disinfecting and wound disinfecting.

One of the big things is to try everything so you know how it works before you need to use it.

Boy Scout or Wacko - I don't know.

I started a year and a half ago building bugout kits for myself, and each of my kids. For my daughter, I did buy a pre-built kit. She goes to school an 8 hour drive away. I insist that when driving on the highway that the kit is within arms reach - incase she should go off the road and become trapped, etc.

The bug out kits (backpacks for my son and I, contain 3 day change of socks and underwear, 3 days of MREs, 3 days of packaged water, two canteens of water on the outside, good (but small) military trama kits, small walkie-talkies, fire making stuff (matches and other), crank recharging flashlights, crank powered AM/FM radios, basic sanitation stuff, compass, Whistle, leatherman tool, good folding knife, poncho, survival blanket, water filtering straw, anti-nausea and anti-diarea meds, Ibuprophin, meds for my Diabetes and HBP, sunscreen, copies of important documents, cash,..........and more. Mine has a 9mm pistol and 200rds, my sons has a Kimber .22lr 1911 with 200rds. That is most of it anyway.

In addition we have supplemental rolling duffel bags with additional food, clothing, TP, Lanterns, Sleeping bags, tube tent, machette, entrenching tool, gloves, boots, large army medical bag, more extensive medicaitons, folding water containers, cookng gear, sewing gear, playing cards, blanket, wool sweaters, sunglasses, perscription glasses, and more

In the vehicles are basic vehicle stuff - jumper cables, etc. Then have flashlights, leatherman tools, good trama kits, cel phone rechargers, and a weapon when I am driving (I have the concealed carry permit), my son is just 18.

At the house (or in storage shed), I also have 50 gal of gas, 2 extra propane tanks, 200gal of frest water, a generator and 1 year of dehydrated food for 4-5 people, along with various pistols, long guns, ammo, emergency cash and gold coins in a fireproof/waterproof safe.

Not wacko. I started with the fireproof safe, not so much for my guns, as for important documents and photo albums, etc after watching the California Fires last year. My wife died 2.5 years ago, and photos, etc are not replacable. That lead me to thinking about bugout kits. Then I listen so advice about the security of having 1 year worth of food stored in the house, not just for disaster. Should I lose my job, my military retirement pay will pay the mortgage, having savings $$ that can keep the lights on and the water running, and having food, means we can get by for a while without stress.

I am constantly keeping my mind working on improving all of these kits.

It all costs a lot less than you think, but sure makes you feel alot better.

Maybe wacko - but I feel better.

Mark K

Edited by Mark K

Definitely not wacko. The survival thing is what got me into guns and shooting some 10yrs ago now. I have let a lot of my stocks deplete and do not keep water and fuel as I used to. I am definitely not as prepared as I once was. I used to be so into it that the reason I kept the underbrush in the woods around the house clear was not because it looked so much better but because it made unnoticeable approach harder. Dogs do help. I still have lots of gear around from when I was more prepared and do still have 1 bugout bag ready but it is in the attic now. One item I seem to use a lot that I did not see mentioned is glow sticks. Every time we have a power outage I grab one from the nightstand and use it to find the flashlights that my wife kids have moved or to find fresh batteries as I do not replace them often enough. Mark we will spend some time talking survival one day when we are at the range. I think I'll dig all my old books out on the subject tomorrow and do some refreshing.

AL

over on AR15.com a guy named protus has a thread about what a BOB should be. Interesting reading. Good for you to be prepared for you and your family.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10...18&t=506065

I have more of a GHB setup for myself. I think you should pack whatever you think you will use.....not just what you'd like to have. I got all kind's of stuff at the house if we have a problem.... generator, chainsaw, my own water well and a way to get the water out, etc. Very few events would have me thinking I need to leave the area. It's getting back home I plan for.....cause thats where all my stuff is at.

I'd highly recommend reading Cody Lundin's book, 98.6 Degrees, the Art of Keeping Your A$$ Alive

He does a good job of explaining what happens when you get too hot, too cold or dehydrated. He does not recommend a packaged kit because everyone's circumstances are different but his basics are like Jake's list with a couple of trash bags, some flagging tape, lot of good quality duct tape wrapped on various things (not a big roll), and some others things like 2% tincture of iodine for water disinfecting and wound disinfecting.

One of the big things is to try everything so you know how it works before you need to use it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll pick up that book.

What got me started on this is, like many have commented, I too have slipped. I picked up a book last week by Les Stroud of Survivorman fame called "Survive" and have enjoyed it thus far. It was a reminder that I haven't kept up with this stuff as much as I should.

There are, it seems, a lot of similarities between Les's thought process and Mr. Lundin's. Nothing is static.

One other noticeable area that I personally have lacked in is fitness. Survival is much more likely if I am fit. I've let that slide too.

All good reminders about being prepared. Life is meant to be unexpected.

I watched today on predictions of a WMD threat on U.S. soil over the coming years. It was yet another friendly reminder that I need to get tuned in. Get re-acquainted with the map and compass. Make sure the water purification filter is clean and the the bandaids and meds are all current.

I don't know if the WMD threat will happen. But there's all kinds of possibilities. Best to be prepared.

Jack

I have a couple of bags ready, one with all my kit in it and one that will be for the wife. I'll have to check the list, but the one thing missing right now is 3-5 days worth of rations. I have a small folding stove and fuel, matches, water and a cooking tin...just no grub. Enough ammo ready to pack if needed and other important stuff.

Given the state of politics up here right now, don't ask, and the increasing likely hood of terrorist action, I think it's not paranoid, just a good precaution.

For the lazy or those that don't have time to put them together yourself the good folks at Red Flare have pre-built kits:

http://www.redflarekits.com/info-e.html I only consider these kits a "good start". They have thought of some stuff that is easy to not consider when doing it yourself. They also have kits for pets which is aces in my book.

ABSOLUTELY NO interest in the company other than they are great folks to work with and I am therefore a very satisfied customer over many transactions. I was looking for something awhile back and they not only went out and found it for me but added it to their store.

I have a neat book that is worth the read - before and after you need it... "how to stay alive in the woods". It was originally produced by the Hudson Bay Co. for their trappers (~19 century maybe?).

It is also good to pass the time as it is written in an interesting style. :D

ymmv

Definitely not wacko. The survival thing is what got me into guns and shooting some 10yrs ago now. I have let a lot of my stocks deplete and do not keep water and fuel as I used to. I am definitely not as prepared as I once was. I used to be so into it that the reason I kept the underbrush in the woods around the house clear was not because it looked so much better but because it made unnoticeable approach harder. Dogs do help. I still have lots of gear around from when I was more prepared and do still have 1 bugout bag ready but it is in the attic now. One item I seem to use a lot that I did not see mentioned is glow sticks. Every time we have a power outage I grab one from the nightstand and use it to find the flashlights that my wife kids have moved or to find fresh batteries as I do not replace them often enough. Mark we will spend some time talking survival one day when we are at the range. I think I'll dig all my old books out on the subject tomorrow and do some refreshing.

AL

Alan,

I did not know that you have a history on the subject. I am sure we will have a good discussion on this one on the next match trip.

Yeah, Chemlights are one of the things I have as well. Other things I am remembering that I left out, is the Special Forces Medical book. Lots of great stuff in there. Another is Sterno and heat tabs. Something that I do not have, but have gone back and forth on, is a gas mask. You can buy a decent on from Cheaper than Dirt for $10. I guess it would not be a bad thing to have around, but unless you have prior worning, or are near a military unit with detectors deployed, by the time you see people around you effected, it is probably too late for you as well. I think I will end up with some, but not in the quick bugout bag. Rather in the supplimental bags or in the house stash.

I appreciate the Links and recommendations that others have submitted.

Mark K.

(P.S. Alan - thank for vote as to my sanity. My kids wonder some times.)

I did not vote for your sanity. We are both crazy, but I have just accepted it. The sooner you realize it the better. It's a F'd up world and that is why I choose to live in my own little world here at the range. :ph34r: I only come out when I have to. :ph34r: Man I'm glad they deliver powder and primers way out here.

AL

Oh this smiley is just for you. :wacko::roflol:

I did not vote for your sanity. We are both crazy, but I have just accepted it. The sooner you realize it the better. It's a F'd up world and that is why I choose to live in my own little world here at the range. :ph34r: I only come out when I have to. :ph34r: Man I'm glad they deliver powder and primers way out here.

AL

Oh this smiley is just for you. :wacko::roflol:

I have already started the tunnel between my house and the range.

Mark K

I started with the fireproof safe, not so much for my guns, as for important documents and photo albums, etc after watching the California Fires last year. My wife died 2.5 years ago, and photos, etc are not replacable.

For important documents, along with the originals in the fire resistant gun safe, I scanned in all documents onto an external hard drive and then burned multiple copies to a DVDs. Each DVD is updated every few months as needed and copies kept at four different locations.

Probably a little bit of overkill, but then I also do a backup of my hard drives each evening. Only needed it once, but that was enough.

My wife was from North Dakota. She is big on having gear in the car for when bad things happen. She saw what happens when you don't.

I have a box for all my vehicles. I sometimes take it out for local driving or in the summertime, but in the winter and for long trips it's in the car.

Coffee can,

survival candles

matches(Waterproof) and a lighter

swiss army knife or multitool

toilet paper

2 metal cups

space blanket

drink stuff (instant cofee, etc)

Rope

flashlight, C cell. Lithium batteries for same.

MIght be some iodine tablets for water, can't remember

few other things I can't remember

It fits into a medium sized ammo can.

I also carry a canvas bag with a small air compressor, fix a flat, emergency fan belt, some basic tools, tape that fixes hoses, vinyl gloves, jumper cables, and flares.

On longer trips I usually bring a milk crate with motor oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, pre mix antifreeze, windshield wiper solvent, (I have an old car)

I don't keep a lot of water in my cars when I'm bopping around town but when I go on HWY trips I take water and some MRE's.

Food and water is important. The highway I take to many of the matches I shoot was iced up for a few days 2 years ago. A lot of people got stuck in their cars and were very miserable.

I also always have at least 1 regular blanket in each vehicle at all times. Usually more.

The one time I needed this stuff it was actually kind of fun to crack it out.

Ted

I started with the fireproof safe, not so much for my guns, as for important documents and photo albums, etc after watching the California Fires last year. My wife died 2.5 years ago, and photos, etc are not replacable.

For important documents, along with the originals in the fire resistant gun safe, I scanned in all documents onto an external hard drive and then burned multiple copies to a DVDs. Each DVD is updated every few months as needed and copies kept at four different locations.

Probably a little bit of overkill, but then I also do a backup of my hard drives each evening. Only needed it once, but that was enough.

that is a good idea - now that I have the important documents printed on to papers that I keep in the BOB, I can easily scan them to PDFs adn put on a DVD. Thanks for the tip. I also need to also do a video inventory of the house, and shop.

The one time I needed this stuff it was actually kind of fun to crack it out.

Ted

Couldn't agree more.

Was PM'ing some personal adventures with Catfish. While there are lessons to be learned, there is definitly something to grin at if you're prepared for the situation.

Jack

My wife was from North Dakota. She is big on having gear in the car for when bad things happen. She saw what happens when you don't.

That's Melissa, right? I assume you two finally got hitched?

If so, I met her daddy once and she comes by it naturally.

:D