Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easy upgrades for the XD

Rob D

My little brother just got a XD9 Tactical so he can start shooting with me, and I'm wanting to get him a christmas present that will improve his gun. It's bone stock right now. I know he needs a lighter recoil spring because his gun wont run with the 135pf handloads my dad and I shoot. Does anyone offer drop in trigger parts for the XD? I know there is a ton of stuff available for glocks, but I don't know anything about the way the XD works. He wants new sights too, and I'm thinking a Dawson front sight would be a big upgrade, but I'm not sure if it will work with the factor rear sight.

Any information would be helpful. If there's another thread that would be helpful, please point me that way. I've searched but haven't found anything. Thanks!

Dawson makes a front fiber optic that works with the stock rear sight. The trigger kits are not exactly drop in, but a little filing in the right spot and they work awesome!!!

Thanks, ordered the sight! Checking out springer precision for trigger parts. Anybody know where to find a recoil spring?

Edited by Rob D

Dawson makes a front fiber optic that works with the stock rear sight. The trigger kits are not exactly drop in, but a little filing in the right spot and they work awesome!!!

Thanks, ordered the sight! Checking out springer precision for trigger parts. Anybody know where to find a recoil spring?

Springer has what ya need.

They have a rebound spring listed for the XD. Is that the same as a recoil spring? The only other option I'm seeing is to purchase their guide rod and use standard 1911 springs which looks like it may be the smartest thing to do anyway since those springs are so widely available.

Is the 20# 1911 spring lighter than the stock spring? Just want to make sure it will help with cycling those hand loads.

I think you might want the 16# for minor loads with the 1911 guide rod.

Hit the XDtalk.com forum for a ton of info on your exact questions. I have a XD40 Tactical .... I went with a Powder River Precision safety lever kit with reduced power springs. Installtion was simple and completely drop in. I run a 17# 1911 recoil spring with complete reliablity with minor power loads .... I have went down to 16.5 variable. A 20 is way too heavy.

The front sight is a pisser to remove ...... I had to use a dremmel cutoff wheel to cut thru the base. I went w/ a Dawson F.O. .180" high to go w/ stock rear sight.

Again - a ton of info out there on your mods. XD's are very easy to work on .... the quality of after market parts is incredible.

Harold H.

I used a 16 lb spring with the solid guide rod and it causes my gun to not feed occasionally. Put the stock spring back in and it runs flawlessly.

Is this the same XD with the "pitted" barrel????

No different guy and different xd. Sorry!!!

The front sight is a pisser to remove ......

I've done several. The key is to clamp the slide very firmly in a good vise with leather or lead pads, then knock the sights out with a steel drift punch and a real hammer (not the little aluminum thingy they send with the Dawson sights--save that for installing the new sight after it's been properly fit to the dovetail).

• 4 months later...
The front sight is a pisser to remove ......

I've done several. The key is to clamp the slide very firmly in a good vise with leather or lead pads, then knock the sights out with a steel drift punch and a real hammer (not the little aluminum thingy they send with the Dawson sights--save that for installing the new sight after it's been properly fit to the dovetail).

+1. I had to wail on the front sight of my XD9 Tactical with a hammer and a big steel punch to get it off. :angry2: Putting electrical tape on the slide around the sight will help protect the slide from any errant blows (which I had a few of...) I tried the freezer trick after reading some posts at the XD Talk forum; it didn't do squat. Some penetrating oil might help a little. The install of the Dawson sights were fast and easy by comparison. The Dawson sights are great and worth every penny.

I had to cut the front sight off of my XDm. It would not move! I took my time and went very slowly with the cutoff wheel and now I have a nice Dawson front sight installed. The installation was MUCH easier than the removal.

• 2 weeks later...
+ 1000 on Springer! He did my gun and just finished one for my wifes Christmas present! Awesome work, time frame, and customer service!
check out pistolgear.com they have a bunch of stuff too. :cheers:
Hit the XDtalk.com forum for a ton of info on your exact questions. I have a XD40 Tactical .... I went with a Powder River Precision safety lever kit with reduced power springs. Installtion was simple and completely drop in. I run a 17# 1911 recoil spring with complete reliablity with minor power loads .... I have went down to 16.5 variable. A 20 is way too heavy.

The front sight is a pisser to remove ...... I had to use a dremmel cutoff wheel to cut thru the base. I went w/ a Dawson F.O. .180" high to go w/ stock rear sight.

Again - a ton of info out there on your mods. XD's are very easy to work on .... the quality of after market parts is incredible.

Harold H.

+1000 for XDTalk, Pistolgear.com, and Springer Precision. Don's guide rod set is what you're looking for with the guide rod and spring. Have Scott Springer do your trigger job and you won't be disappointed. I had him do two for me and I'm extremely pleased. I haven't tried the drop in kits. But I know they come with instructions to do the minor fitting that is required.

Scott did my XD40 Tactical and the trigger is awesome, I had him add a Warren Tactical Rear and a Dawson FO front sight, Pistol Gear Match Barrel, Pistol Gear Magwell and his polish job. I put in a Springer 1911 guide rod that I run a 16lb ISMI spring for minor and a 18lb ISMI spring for major. Gun run's great. Got a XD9 Tactical on Mon. and as soon as I can it's going off to Scott. Just ordered another PG Magwell and Scott's guide rod to start.

A trick I do to remove XD sights is to freeze the slide in the freezer for 30+ min and then use a MGW sight tool made for the XD. It makes them easier to remove and works quite well without damaging the sights nor the slide.