Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me About the Revolver-Shooting Fraternity

JPT

Other than their infantile need to deride other shooting disciplines they are okay. Most of them can even count higher than 6 (all the way to 8).

-ld

And some of us can count to 10 too. :roflol:

I do not deride other shooting disciplines, I believe that if you're not emptying brass and making noise, you're not having fun. :cheers:

Yeah I am working on being mediocre at about a half dozen disciplines myself. B)

-ld

I heard that! :cheers:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than their infantile need to deride other shooting disciplines they are okay. Most of them can even count higher than 6 (all the way to 8).

-ld

And some of us can count to 10 too. :roflol:

I do not deride other shooting disciplines, I believe that if you're not emptying brass and making noise, you're not having fun. :cheers:

Yeah I am working on being mediocre at about a half dozen disciplines myself. B)

-ld

I heard that! :cheers:

That's funny. I was at a match last weekend and had an RO talk to our squad of revo shooters like we were kids...

He was explaining the stage (IDPA) and says

"So for you revo guys, you'll shoot one two, three four, five six, then reload"...........

Thanks pal....

Dave

That's OK. I've ROed plenty of bottom-feeders who shot to slide lock trying to hit a popper and were still trying to pull the trigger for one more shot. :roflol:

True. The inability to count does cross into all disciplines.

I load up for whatever game I am going to play and have a good time.

-ld

Other than their infantile need to deride other shooting disciplines they are okay.

What in the world are you talking about?? The fact that Open shooters have small wieners, or what???

Do you have an open gun? I haven't personally checked any open shooters.

I was making a wise crack based upon the tendency of MANY revolver shooters to make smart ass comments about those who shoot auto loaders.

-ld

Other than their infantile need to deride other shooting disciplines they are okay.

What in the world are you talking about?? The fact that Open shooters have small wieners, or what???

I was making a wise crack based upon the tendency of MANY revolver shooters to make smart ass comments about those who shoot auto loaders.

-ld

I my self don't have an open gun but I do not descriminate on my wiseass cracks, revo's included. :goof: And I do shoot everything else but open.

Edited by snertley

-ld

I my self don't have an open gun but I do not descriminate on my wiseass cracks, revo's included. :goof: And I do shoot everything else but open.

I must confess that I do carry an Open classification in ICORE. Even more to my shame I did it with a 4" 7 shooter. At least it is a S&W. To compensate I have a REALLY BIG limited gun!

-ld

And please tell us, Counselor, just how do you know this? :D

It's true most Webley triggers aren't quite competition-quality, but I remember fooling around with the innards on this thing long ago, including lightening the mainspring in the Colt manner and it's really not too bad.

The limitations are more on the order of hammer crash- it still comes down hard- and the old combat sights, a wiiiide V with a skinny post front. Fast at less than five yards, not so good for older eyes beyond that.

I keep threatening to file down the base of a fiber-optic front sight to fit the base on the Webley, and then I'll really be smokin' 'em.

I love hearing the ROs go "augh" when the moonclip empty comes flying over my shoulder right at them.

I don't love the long, narrow blister in my left palm from holding the barrel after a long field course and waiting for "cylinder clear". Sometimes it seems to take forever. Yes, I have a glove, but remembering to use it is sometimes difficult until the sizzling starts.

The best seventy-five bucks I ever spent on a gun. When I discovered that it worked with the moonclips, I ditched my 625 in a blink.

Since the original poster wanted his question to be taken seriously, I won't mention that I made "B" in revolver division with my Webley Mk VI.

Webley.jpg

That's very impressive you made B class with that revolver. Goes to show, it's not as much about equipment as it is the shooter.

Cheers! :cheers:

Well, thanks, BlackSabbath, but most of my shooting mates think it has more to do with flaws in the USPSA classification system, and I can't really argue.

But, I will assert: the Webley is the most tactical revolver ever, and if you're ever in a pistol fight with a sixgun, hope it's a good limey and you have a pocketful of full clips.

To me shooting revo has been a complete blast the past 2 summers. I had not shot revo in USPSA but once before the summer of 07, and I got my 610 back (funny story for another time) and decided to start shooting that as my primary gun. Well it has been great. At most local matchs I am the lone (revo) gunman. But I did earn a slot to the Nationals and got on the "B" Revo super squad. WOW! It was one of the funnest matchs I've shot, not so much how I did but the shooters I got to shoot with. Same thing at Area 3 with the Revo squad there. These guys (and gals) will help with stage breakdown, gear, moral support and anything else you could want. I have yet to see any primadon Revo shooters. Period. Yes they will give you a hard time, make fun of you, entice you to drink lots of beer, heck one even convinced my son to shave his hair into a mohawk! :roflol: Side note, my son now is intrested in revo and is now a D revo shooter.

Bottom line is they are a all around great bunch of shooters that I have not seen to this extent in the other divisions. So come on over the to the ROUND side!

Jon

Me, I am a glutton for punishment. I use a Ruger Alaskan ( the one with the 2 1/2" barrel and made for .454 Casull/.45 Colt [Did I mention that it weighs 42 ounces?]) shooting .45 Colt. Reloading to make major was a challenge in itself (most reloading charts base their .45 Colt results from using a 7" barrel), hence the glutton for punishment part.

The look on people's faces when they see me step up with that revolver are priceless. I usually shoot with a group where I am the only revolver shooter (open and limited shooters mainly), and I joke that they can kick back and take a nap while I shoot. I don't consider myself slow, but compared to the speed that the open and limited guys shoot I take my time.

I have never had to ask for a calibration check on any steel poppers, as I use 250gr LRNFP bullets that when last sent across the chrono at the last state match came back at 185PF (remember that I only have a 2 1/2" barrel :lol: ). I have reduced the powder load now, so I should be closer to 170PF now.

One of the things that revolver shooters using moonclips like is getting their brass back even during "lost brass" matches. I use speedloaders myself, but due to the fact that pretty much no one else shoots .45 Colt I have been allowed to retrieve my brass at almost every "lost brass" match that I have participated in. :D

Basically I have much more fun shooting revolver. :wub:

I'm willing to bet the original poster has long since concluded that the round gun fraternity has plenty of character.

I'd say it's on clear display in this thread. I will agree with snertly that moral support certainly is needed, as I would question the morals of a bunch like this. I'm having my own doubts about that guy in the mirror, but since I'm on my way to MD a seven stage IDPA match (that I intend to shoot with a two-inch Detective Special) I don't have much time to worry.

It may be painful for a new sixgun shooter to watch the first ten competitors go through a stage with sixteen-shooters and then go up there and go six-pop-silence, six-pop-silence for a while, but it lets your fellow competitors catch up on their gossip, magazine loading, and Gatorade drinking.

A considerate group, in that regard.

Here's the flip side- a person can get a good start with a $250 Model 10 or Official Police and a pocketful of speedloaders, shooting the inexpensive .38/.357, and really have just as much fun as anyone else... just more leisurely.

And, as one sixgun shooter told me back when I was first shooting USPSA, "Every match is a revolver match if you think that way."

But counting is more important.

I'm willing to bet the original poster has long since concluded that the round gun fraternity has plenty of character.

I'd say it's on clear display in this thread. when I was first shooting USPSA, "Every match is a revolver match if you think that way."

Plenty of CHARACTER or CHARACTERS. :roflol:

Since the original poster wanted his question to be taken seriously, I won't mention that I made "B" in revolver division with my Webley Mk VI.

Webley.jpg

That's very impressive you made B class with that revolver. Goes to show, it's not as much about equipment as it is the shooter.

Cheers! :cheers:

I think this hits it on the head, Revo's tend to think it's the indian not the arrow. Recognizing there's not as much you can do "to" as "with" an arrow.

Blueridge have you tried .45 Schoefields? I used .44 Russian in my M29 for several years and I still like it.

Actually timewise comparable Production, L10, SS & Revo classed competitors aren't that far apart.

I've not heard any wisecracks about my COF time mentioned to me for quite a few years.

I have a bit more trouble breaking down a COF to 10 rounds than 6. I could get too greedy with 11 rounds to play with. Might not be quite as bad now with 8 rounds per spot being the norm.

On the average it takes about the same time to draw, move and shoot and about 2x's the time to reload, and we get to do it more often than anyone other than a SS.

I've likened the camraderie within USPSA Revolver Division to the early years of IPSC when all was heads up, before the big equipment race.

Besides it's fun doing something most don't wish to tackle. Even if it does get lonely at times.

I agree with Sargenv, it's nice to get to spend twice as much time at the range, firing the same CoF as the bottomfeeders, for the same amount of $$$. :rolleyes:

And I like the challenge of shooting the wheelgun. As has been said earlier, there really isn't much margin for error with the six-gun. Breaking down a CoF into 6 round (or less) segments works your planning skills. It's nice to see how you do against all other shooters, but in the end, you are only competing with yourself and the other wheelgunners.

If USPSA and IDPA revolver divisions are not where you want to be, there is ICORE. NRA Action Pistol is (IMHO) very revolver friendly.

It's fun to be a Follower of The Way of The Wheel. (even if I do also play with Glock's in GSSF, IDPA SSP, & USPSA Production, 1911's in USPSA SingleStack & L-10....I'm not a REAL faithful wheelgunner <_< )