Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading, before i get started buying

beanz

I'm completely new to reloading.

Primarily I will be reloading for Cowboy Action Shooting .45 Colts (or Long Colt if you prefer)

I've decided on the XL650

this is what I've gathered that I need, please help me revise this:

10330   Reloading Manual - Lyman #49 

10443   650 Machine Cover 

10483   D-Terminator Electronic Scale 

10842   One in. Bench Wrench for Dillon Dies/P.Measure 

11555   650 Toolholder with Wrench Set 

12580   Reloading Manual - Speer #14 

13606   Primer Flip Tray 

13733   Dillon Case Lube 

13804   Rapid Polish 

14405   Dillon 45 Colt Carbide 3-Die Set 

16961   Dillon XL 650 in 45 Colt 

20050   4-Pack Large Primer Pickup Tubes 

21044   Powder Check System - 650/1050 only 

21045   CM-500 Media Separator 

21080   Casefeed Assembly - Large Pistol (650/1050) 

97017   650 Maintenance & Spare Parts Kit 

BE650   650 - As it should BE - Upgrade 

DIGCA   BrianEnos.com Digital Caliper 

15167   Dillon 45 Colt Stainless Case Gage 

17999   Bullet Puller

Add Tumbler and media

Edited by beanz

Primarily I will be reloading for Cowboy Action Shooting .45 Colts (or Long Colt if you prefer)

10443   650 Machine Cover 

10483   D-Terminator Electronic Scale 

13606   Primer Flip Tray 

13733   Dillon Case Lube 

13804   Rapid Polish 

DIGCA   BrianEnos.com Digital Caliper 

17999   Bullet Puller

You can get all the loading info you need online from the manufactures of you components- so I would cut those costs. I would consider getting the new CM-750 vs. the 500. Better motor and will last you longer. Use Hornady One Shot lube instead of Dillon's. I have found better results and I think it is cheaper. And you can buy it locally at the gun store. I don't think there is a real need for a bullet tray. I never really used mine and just grab from the bullet container or an ice cream bucket. Works just as well if not better and saves cash. I think a regular beam scale works fine instead of the pricey electronic ones and would wait on getting that fancy tool set. All the tools you need come with the press. This should save you a couple hundred bucks. Better spent on components. ;)

You setup sounds good, but you can get by very well with some less expensive equipment. I load a lot of .45LC on a Square Deal B and it works great. I also got a caliper, scale, flip tray and tumbler from Midway for a lot less money and it works fine too. The Speer manual has some very good loads for .45LC. I use it for most of my reference needs.

Good luck on your loading, it never seems to end. More cases, more powder, more bullets, more primers etc. You get the idea.

Personally, I would ditch the 650 and case feeder. I would get the 550B. I would just get the Lyman 49th it has the best lead cast bullet load data, and skip the Speer cause the Speer manual only deals with jacketed bullets and the speer SWAGED vs hard cast lead bullets. I would ditch the electronic scale, and get the mechanical scale. I would add a tumbler to the mix, and get the larger media seperator.

I reload with the 550B primarily, and even without a casefeeder(another $220) I churn out bullets almost as fast as I can polish them.

You listed carbide dies, which don't require lube, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I saw you listed a media separator, but no tumbler. A good quality tumbler is a must: I've had half a dozen cheapos break on me over the years.

You can save some cash by getting the Dillon accessory package deal: it comes with either "electronic or balance Beam scale, dial caliper, primer flip tray, 2 bench wrenches, 8oz bottle of case lube, safety glasses, machine cover and Lyman Reloading book.

F73-21430 for 650 w/ the balance beam scale ($194.95)

F73-22118 for the 650 kit with digital scale ($259.95)

The aluminum Roller Handle is a lot nicer on your wrist as well (f73-22052) My dad stole mine to use on his RCBS Piggyback(but I got it back when he went hunting without me ;)

Thanks for all the input... I'm probably going to "pull the trigger" after the holidays so the more the merrier... like i said i'm completely new to reloading... yeah, i forgot the tumbler and media thanks for reminding me.

Your list (with the tumbler added) looks complete, but

here's an alternative for you:

if you plan to shoot only pistol calibers, and you have

enough time per week to load what you need at the rate

of 200 rounds/hour (some people don't), all you need is

the Square Deal, which is quite a bit cheaper than the

The 650 is a much better machine, if you have the need,

and the extra money - but, if you have the time, and less

money, the SD is all you need.

Jack

Wow. Your starting with the best of the best. Go for it. But understand if you're new at this as you say you are, the 650 makes PILES of great ammo. It's perfectly capable of making PILES of dangerous junk too. Love seeing your emphases on manuals, right on! READ THEM :) These are fine equipment choices. Take all time needed to understand each process completely and you'll enjoy this aspect of shooting for the rest of your days.

:cheers:

Jim

edited cause i'm tupid

Edited by JimmyM

Now, how much is your time worth.......... :mellow:

If you have the money and time is a premium for you....ie. you only have a limited amount of time to load a bunch of ammo for matches, then the 650 with the casefeeder is the way to go. If you have a lot of time and dont mind loading at a slower pace, the 550 is great too.

Only thing I would say is that if you are new to reloading, I would recommend the Sierra Big manual. It aint cheap, but it is a bible and goes over handgun and rifle reloading very well.

Good luck, sir!

DougC

10443   650 Machine Cover  A large black plastic trash bag works well

10483   D-Terminator Electronic Scale I use a Lyman that was about $75 and works great

13606   Primer Flip Tray 

13733   Dillon Case Lube Hornady One-Shot works better

13804   Rapid Polish Use Flitz or Mothers wheel polish from autozone

DIGCA   BrianEnos.com Digital Caliper Cheaper local from a place like Harbor Freight

17999   Bullet Puller

Add Tumbler and media

The bold are my comments.

I wash my brass. No tumbling, polishing, or lead dust floating around. Total expenditure of five 5-gallon buckets... and a bottle of Birchwood Casey 'Brass Cartridge Cleaner' here and there. Plus, having clean (but dull) brass with all sorts of stains still visible on it kinda freaks people out.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I reload with the 550B primarily, and even without a casefeeder(another $220) I churn out bullets almost as fast as I can polish them.

You listed carbide dies, which don't require lube, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I saw you listed a media separator, but no tumbler. A good quality tumbler is a must: I've had half a dozen cheapos break on me over the years.

You can save some cash by getting the Dillon accessory package deal: it comes with either "electronic or balance Beam scale, dial caliper, primer flip tray, 2 bench wrenches, 8oz bottle of case lube, safety glasses, machine cover and Lyman Reloading book.

F73-21430 for 650 w/ the balance beam scale ($194.95)

F73-22118 for the 650 kit with digital scale ($259.95)

The aluminum Roller Handle is a lot nicer on your wrist as well (f73-22052) My dad stole mine to use on his RCBS Piggyback(but I got it back when he went hunting without me ;)

Those are some great comments.

I'm big on reloading manuals too. The best by far is the Lyman RLM, followed closely by the Sierra RLM. I also use a Hornady and Speer RLMs for reference and comparisons. As was said, those books concentrate on that manufacturer's product only. Buy the Speer #13 from Graf & Sons for $6. Pick up the Hornady used from Amazon for about $10.

I'm also not so fond of the electronic scales, especially battery operated ones. Give me a 500gr Ohaus anyday.

Some good advise to be sure but the OP did not ask for ways to lower his cash outlay.

I say that to remind US that this is Mr. Enos's house and buying the best from one of the best (our forum host)

for what may amount to a few dollars more helps keep him and US alive and happy.

--------------------------------

With a focus on the OP's question.

Well read Reloading Manuals.

Eye Protection.

An organized work environment free from distraction.

Patrick

+1 on checking wally world for corn cob and crushed walnut shells. 8lbs for 5 bucks can't be beat.

I looked all through the pet departments at two different Walmarts and never found any. :(

I know what you mean, up here in Waco none of the Wally worlds carry Walnut shells.

Only one store in Austin carries them, and I'll probably buy everything they have in stock when I go back down for thanksgiving tomorrow.

You might try the pet stores like Rocket 35 suggested. Maybe Wal-mart can order them for you? I haven't thought of that until now, but their customer service is usually pretty helpful.

• 1 month later...
You setup sounds good, but you can get by very well with some less expensive equipment. I load a lot of .45LC on a Square Deal B and it works great. I also got a caliper, scale, flip tray and tumbler from Midway for a lot less money and it works fine too. The Speer manual has some very good loads for .45LC. I use it for most of my reference needs.

Good luck on your loading, it never seems to end. More cases, more powder, more bullets, more primers etc. You get the idea.

+1

Get the press from Dillon, or buy off Ebay Cheaper.

Buy eveything else (except the case gauge) from Midway, and Nanchez, or Ebay

Jeff

I found a great deal on walnut shells at Harbor Freight.

And I far prefer the electronic scales to the beam style.

Personally, without the case feeder much of the pleasure and sheer massive volume of reloads will be decreased. I ran a 550 for nearly 20 years and was amazed at what I had been missing prior to upgrading to the 650.

You can get along without it just as a 4 cyl will pull your butt around the desert, just not as slick as a V8....

It takes a while and some experience to develop a sense of what you can get along with/without, and what you prefer in your hobby.

Reloading doesn't save you money, it DOES give you a whole lot MORE ammo for a given amount of money...

And I've come to appreciate having more ammo with less work...hence the little tricks that ease production a bit.

By now you probably have run a few trials, what are you loading in that 45?