Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Class-Scoped Heavy Rifle Division

MGM Ironman has the DPMS Heavy Rifle Division. I would like to see more matches with it since I ordered on of their 308 Lites.

This will be the third year we have done it. We get a pretty good turnout, and it makes hitting the long targets a lot easier on a windy day!!

Adios,

TG

I'm on a roll tonight! Ya'll just got me all riled up! (Well, not this thread, but I'm just up to type!)

In my mind, if you want to shoot a .308, but not the other "heavy" guns because you think it's an advantage, I think you should do so. At Rocky Mountain, you'll just be in tactical.

But, let's be honest, if I didn't mind the expensive ammo and the heavier gun (I have enough old and tired issues with my little, light weight Sabre .223 (that's me being old and tired, not my awesome rifle)) I would think .308 would be an advantage at Rocky Mountain. There is not a lot of short range rifle, you're shooting at long range targets a lot. If you want to shoot just heavy rifle within tactical division, ours would be the match to do it. There are a few shooters that do this, and it seems to work for them!

As a match director, I can't see adding another class. It seems that it would probably take people away from our smallest classes already.

That's my opinion, and I just feel like sharing! :rolleyes:

I wonder what other threads I can comment on?!?!?!

I'm on a roll!

Denise

Unless you just WANT to shoot that type of gun/caliber. I have a scoped DPMS .308 that I break out every once in a while for fun. I am not the type of shooter who is going to dominate a match, but it is fun to try out a different type of blaster every so often. Hell, isn't that why so many of us have equipment for production, lim10, SS, limited, and open---and use them all even though you show a definate preference for a particular division?

Even though .223 is cheaper, easier, and will do anything .308 will in a match setting ;)

We have a "heavy metal optics" class at our rifle match at Steel City in Birmingham.

I specifically wanted to include this division because I thought there would be a good many people who'd like to shoot their AR-10s, but didn't want to be restricted to iron sights (myself included). We structured the scoring of our match to put 308's on equal footing with 223's and for the most part, it's worked. At our big match last March, there were 2 308's in the top 5 spots in optics.

The class has had varying degrees of interest but, suprisingly, is almost always has the fewest # of shooters of the four classes we shoot (minor optics, minor irons, HM optics, HM irons). This was a suprise to me. Perhaps with more people picking up the DPMS 308's there will be more folks shooting them with scopes in competition.

David

Yes Sir, scopes are good and you can use a magnifier with yer EO sight. 45 round mag limit.

Adios

What type of shot distances are you considering for the rifle stages Greg? Looking forward to shooting this match!

David

FYI .308s offer no advantage over .223s, even on long range targets and even on windy days.

Even at the MGM with rifle targets out at 600+ yards?

Not unless you are knocking something down or activiating something.

Maybe this a little off track but I've found a guy through the forums who actually makes a 28 round .308 mag from 2-19 rounders. Is there any ruling against this in HM?

I, too, would like to know the answer...Kelly, anybody???

Cheryl :)

20 rounds MAX in a mag is about the ONLY universal rule in Heavy Metal.

Patrick

You might want to check some of the wording on some of the rules for some of the major matches there Mr. Kelly....much to MY dismay, it is not so universal :(

Some actually talk about MAX capacity of the magazine as well.....OOPS!!!!...well, plugging always comes to mind.

good He-man 3 gunner are you, good reader of rules you are not!!! (Yoda....Star Wars, my version!!!)

And yes....it will pain you when you find out what I did.

Major match rules seem to be the same - this is typical wording for this class from the rules used at DPMS, seems clear, 20 rnds

6.4.5 Tactical Class-Heavy – Similar to Tactical Class scoped, but the shooter must use a .260 or larger caliber for the entire match. Handguns/shotguns must comply with Tactical Class rules. Magazine capacity is not to exceed 20 rounds in this class.