Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying two presses instead of one?

DGeneM

I have been lurking here for a really long time....4- 5 yrs??. I have always been interested in reloading and shooting- none competitive. I have owned one or two handguns and one or two rifles since 1992 when I turned 21. Have never kept them due to financial reasons (raising kids).

Now my questions. I now have the ability to buy, within reason what I want. I carry an xd-9 and or xdm-40. I want to start reloading for them and 5.56 and .308 . My thoughts were to buy an ez kit RL550 from here and a SDB. Having little true experience, use to help friends dad load trap rounds, am I

wasting my money? I currently buy bulk from CTD and or GB.com. I want to buy before new year. Thanks for any thoughts.

Gene

The 550 will do all those calibers. I don't see a need for a second press??

Changeover is relatively simple. I would recommend you find a friend that reloads and garner any knowledge you can from them, making life a little easier. Lastly, buy from Brian Enos!!

The 650, if you don't count the @#%@#$^ primer ram, takes about 8 minutes to switch calibers. Granted it takes 20 min. the first time and goes down from there, but it isn't that big a deal if you're going to be a high-volume reloader. I just switch, load all of my brass, then switch to the next type. Ten minutes every few weeks is no big deal.

H.

I went with 2 550's. One for large primers and 1 for small... it's really not that hard to switch a 550 completely from 45 ACP to 9MM.. I'm just really that lazy.

About the only time this really helps is if you're developing loads for 2 different guns at the same time.. and are only going to load a small quanity (50 rounds or so) and try them, before loading up a decent amount/

I went with 2 550's. One for large primers and 1 for small... it's really not that hard to switch a 550 completely from 45 ACP to 9MM.. I'm just really that lazy.

About the only time this really helps is if you're developing loads for 2 different guns at the same time.. and are only going to load a small quanity (50 rounds or so) and try them, before loading up a decent amount/

Thanks for the responses. I may just do that. That would make part and die interchangeability not an issue. Seems like a logical choice since I have my mind pretty much made up that I want two presses for a couple different reasons.

Involving the wife with her "own" press will make reloading a family outing which should net lots of reasons to shoot more,, to get more brass to reload more, it could become just the vicious cycle I've been hoping for.

EDIT * Went ahead and ordered the first 550 from the store. Once it is set up and running will get the second. *

Edited by DGeneM

The Dillon 550 is an excellent press and caliber change is simple and fast - no need for a second press since even changes between large and small primer arms only takes a few minutes. One word of caution - emphasize caution over speed and you will never have a problem with the Dillon 550. Many individuals start their reloading experience with a Diloon 550 and make the mistake of emphasizing speed which leads to problems.

I have been lurking here for a really long time....4- 5 yrs??. I have always been interested in reloading and shooting- none competitive. I have owned one or two handguns and one or two rifles since 1992 when I turned 21. Have never kept them due to financial reasons (raising kids).

Now my questions. I now have the ability to buy, within reason what I want. I carry an xd-9 and or xdm-40. I want to start reloading for them and 5.56 and .308 . My thoughts were to buy an ez kit RL550 from here and a SDB. Having little true experience, use to help friends dad load trap rounds, am I

wasting my money? I currently buy bulk from CTD and or GB.com. I want to buy before new year. Thanks for any thoughts.

Gene

Edited by TonyT

If you are someone that is easily distracted or pulled away from the bench while reloading and not very structured might I suggest a 650......... :ph34r:

I know some people that have double charged their rounds on 550s when their process got interupted for whatever reason....No rhyme or reason...Good experienced reloaders....which means it can happen to anyone.....

With either unit you can set up toolheads for the calibers you want to load and have them ready.

The SDB sounds great if you load/shoot a thousand rounds or less a month. Any more than that you need to put a price on your time too.......A 650 with casefeeder would be the way to go for saving you time. I just think from what I have seen if you are going progressive, you need an auto-index feature as well......

Good luck in your purchase, Dillon blue is the way to go regardless..... :cheers:

DougC

Me too! I also thought it was a pain to switch primer systems, but I did for almost 10 years. Then a friend gave me a second 550 on the condition that I occasionally load some .45 for him if he buys the components. Hell, yeah!

Thanks for the responses. I may just do that. That would make part and die interchangeability not an issue. Seems like a logical choice since I have my mind pretty much made up that I want two presses for a couple different reasons.

Involving the wife with her "own" press will make reloading a family outing which should net lots of reasons to shoot more,, to get more brass to reload more, it could become just the vicious cycle I've been hoping for.

EDIT * Went ahead and ordered the first 550 from the store. Once it is set up and running will get the second. *

Good idea on involving the wife; too bad I don't have that good an excuse to pick up a second 550. I do all my large rifle reloading on a single stage, and I've pretty much given up on reloading .45 cuz I'm lazy as well and hate switching over the primer bars for pretty much one caliber. I can pretty much assure you it will turn into that "vicious cycle" you've been hoping for.

I'd rather give the wife a needed break and get the kids involved.

No better way to get "points" than having your 2 "assistants" out of mom's hair for awhile, and helping out dad. And too, the little guys grow up so quickly. One day they're under foot, and the next they're off to college or armed forces. My wife always said the time would pass quickly and I should use every possible chance. Luckily I did.

I looked at my watch and the total elapsed time between their 5th birthday party and their graduation from Basic Training was 31.2 seconds. Or it seemed that way.

:o :o

• 6 months later...

I have always had more than one press. At one point I had four presses. I lost all my presses and most of my dies in Katrina flood. I just bought a Dillon SDB for 9mm. I also have a Redding Turrent press and I love it. I like to volume reload for 9mm because I shoot that the most by far. All other calibers are done on the Redding. I just take my time and enjoy the process. I learned 28 years ago on Lyman Spar T so I have a soft spot for the turrent press.

I reccommend learning on either a single stage or a turrent press-- then after you understand all phases of reloading, get a progressive. Different Dillon models are available based on what your needs are. If you got a few bucks to spend, get 2 or 3 presses and enjoy the variety.

good luck !!

I started with a Star reloader, then added 4 older single stages, then finally got a 550. Today I ordered a 1050. I think each one has its place. I love the star for .45, the singles are used for alot of odd rounds that I don't load a ton of. I think its great to have a single stage for alot of miscellaneous aspects. The 550 works great as an all around press because of its quick changeover. I've yet to have an opportunity to form an opinion on the 1050... :D

• 4 weeks later...

if you have money to spend buy separate presses. I like dedicated presses and don't like changing calibers. you start losing and or breaking parts. if you don't have the room, then that's a different story. By the way I have 4 square deal presses and 1 - 650 and 1 rcbs single stage and 1 rcbs turret press and I use them all.

I just bought a second 650 since I don't want to keep changing out one press when working up loads on two calibers - one small and one large primer. The only problem is now I have to build a second reloading press. I have the wood but not the time.

I wanted and had room for a 2nd 550B. I waited until a used one came along. Picked it up from one of the members of my club for $300 with all the mounts and about 8 caliber conversions. I sold the conversions I did not need and ended up <$200 on on my second one. Now I have one setup for small primers and large primers.

• 4 months later...

I think it's been said, but I will say it again....getting a decent progressive AND a decent single stage/turret will be a wise move....you can use the single stage for various utilitarian tasks.....for example a collet style bullet puller, or maybe a dedicated de-capping station....trim die, bullet sizing (when you start casting) etc etc etc.....maybe the best way to go is a progressive setup and a single station "kit"....like the hornady lock n load classic kit.....that way you get some other odds and ends and a back up scale/powder measure....just remember to get a shell holder for each cal......it's nice to have a press with the quick change die bushings so I can swap out specialized dies w/o disturbing my progressive and it's settings....no matter how much documentation and fine tuning you do...once you tear down your progressive for another task, it will get you paranoid and you will feel the need to re-check everything (powder throw, OAL, crimp etc....)...which is a good thing, don't get me wrong, you can never be tooooooo safe.....but for me the progressive and single stage with a quick change bushing is the way to go....don't forget the tumbler also....get something big and a good media separator....oh and by god get your self a GOOD set of calipers