Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Question for you guys.

zhunter

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, get the pain over with now to get back on track with your mental plan for the stage. I mean you DID run through the COF in your head a few times, right? :) get back to 8+1 so that the rest of it is not hosed up and you have a prayer of pulling it out of the dirt.

In theory.. I like the extra re-load... but in practice.. if it's only a short distance to the next shooting spot... will you really have enough presence of mind to think about this and then get the reload done??? Probably not!

I think it would make a difference how far it is to the next shooting position and how many targts are remaining.

In my very first Single Stack Classic.. I got carried away with my reloads in a VERY long field course and ran out of mags with two targets remaining :sick: I always had a full gun when I arrived at a good shooting position but lost all that time while digging my Barney mag out to complete the COF.

I do both quite regularly depending on the stages. Yesterday for example we had 3 arrays of 8. The 1st array went as planed but the second had head shots only and I put one over the head. Knowing the 3rd array had 8 shots with 4 poppers and 2 close paper I just trusted my sights shot the stage and finished at slide lock. Plus there wasn't enough time in between arrays to do the make up reload.

With that being said at OH 2 weekends ago I shot a stage with 3 nine shot arrays....yeah fun huh. 1st array go to slide lock, reload, then going into a very narrow port at the second array I could shoot the activator steel, a paper, then swinger and bang a quick reload as I'm leaning in to get the last 2 paper. So I have 4 round in the gun right. Coming into the last array I pop the activator steel through the port before getting there, static paper, reload before the swinger gets to full swing and hit it and finish the stage.

I always carry 6 mags on my belt and one in the gun. If the stage will allow me to do the make up reload, I.E. I have enough time to do so before I get to the next shooting position I will. If the next shooting position is close and not 9 rounds I won't. If its 9 rounds then you almost have to do the make up reload unless you can spread out the rounds or work a static while not hurting yourself to bad.

Wow...hope all that made sense lol.

I normally will go with 7+1 unless there are US Poppers or Plates in the next array. If it is only paper or Poppers, I will just slow down a smidge and get my hits like Matt said, but I don't think a reload on the move cost 1.5 seconds either.

I can't see burning the time for an extra reload.

I don't have enough rounds on my belt to dump a full mag on the ground.

Better to go to slide lock on the next array and keep pressing forward.

BTW, I wouldn't assume 8 shot arrays.

Yesterday I complained about a stage with two ten shot arrays (both arrays had to be taken from below waist level) which forced me to do two static reloads while kneeling.

I was quickly chastised for bitching and reminded that it was my choice to show up with an 8 round gun.

Ain't no 8 round friendly where I shoot.

You bring your open gun or cowboy up and deal with it. :roflol:

I guess I'll deal with it.

It will only make me better. ;)

Tls

Yesterday I complained about a stage with two ten shot arrays (both arrays had to be taken from below waist level) which forced me to do two static reloads while kneeling.

I was quickly chastised for bitching and reminded that it was my choice to show up with an 8 round gun.

Tls

Being jerks about it is not good for the sport. Many clubs are "run" by Open shooters, 2 that I shoot at in FL are this way. Sure, you showed up with an 8-shooter, and yes, 10 round arrays are fine, let's face it, SS'ers are NOT competing against anyone but fellow SS'ers, so it is really all equal. But......

Kneeling reloads at NO FUN, I don't care what gun ya brung

Tls

Being jerks about it is not good for the sport. Many clubs are "run" by Open shooters, 2 that I shoot at in FL are this way. Sure, you showed up with an 8-shooter, and yes, 10 round arrays are fine, let's face it, SS'ers are NOT competing against anyone but fellow SS'ers, so it is really all equal. But......

Kneeling reloads at NO FUN, I don't care what gun ya brung

No matter.

Nobody likes to squad with a shooter that's always whining and I don't want to become that guy.

I made my point, so I'm just going to shut up and shoot. :ph34r:

[sorry for the drift] we now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

two reloads is pretty straightforward stuff..

if I'm going to face steel in any of the next arrays..I will get up to 8+1. no doubt.

if I am looking at paper only..I may just do the one..and shoot to slidelock on the upcoming arrays.

For the guys that are worried about the steel on the next array. If your worried about the steel that much does that is that extra round really going to help you? If I'm going into a 8 shot array with a star and 3 plates, and I only have 8 rounds and I'm worried about that star, might as well man up and either go 1 for 1. If you don't more than likely your going to need more than one extra shot.

For the guys that are worried about the steel on the next array. If your worried about the steel that much does that is that extra round really going to help you? If I'm going into a 8 shot array with a star and 3 plates, and I only have 8 rounds and I'm worried about that star, might as well man up and either go 1 for 1. If you don't more than likely your going to need more than one extra shot.

Insurance

Insurance

I can see doing it in production but is that one round worth the 1.5 seconds or so it will take to do the reload when you could use your 8 shots then do the reload IF needed? I mean you already have to do 1 reload, then you have to bang the second before getting there all for 1 round.

I guess for me it boils down to, if I have the time to do 2 reload between the positions. If I have time to do them both while running flat out to that position that is 3 seconds away yeah maybe. More than likely I'm going to try to make the most of those 7 rounds before I dump them.

personally don't think doing the extra reload is that big a deal..maybe its because I have been shooting production..but its not that hard to program..when you get behind, you stuff the reload and get back on plan.

shooting single stack is like shooting revolver..its virginia count..

I agree with most on the "Depends" statement, but I can say when shooting Revo on long field courses, that if I took extra shots that were not planned. I would do an extra reload to get back on track with my planned strategy. If not , it seemed to all go down hill in a hurry.

personally don't think doing the extra reload is that big a deal..maybe its because I have been shooting production..but its not that hard to program..when you get behind, you stuff the reload and get back on plan.

shooting single stack is like shooting revolver..its virginia count..

In revolver you typically do a lot of standing reloads anyway do to stage design anyway. In revo you always shoot to slide lock anyway :) and you don't have a chamber to hold that all precious extra round when dropping the mag so it isn't quite the same in my opinion.

Anyway, I'll stick to my make my hits count plan like I did yesterday B)

Edited by steel1212