Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I broke my Glock

flyingchange

I was out shooting this morning when my trigger suddenly turned to mush. When I rack the slide, the trigger sets, but then when I pull it, nothing happens, the firing pin doesn't move and the trigger just mushes back and forth. The only way I can get the gun apart is to take off the slide plate cover and remove the firing pin assembly that way. I've got another Glock that I compared it to visually, and everything LOOKS normal, but I don't have a thorough enough understanding of the trigger mechanism to know what's not going on that should be. I hope there's someone out there who's seen this before!

I was out shooting this morning when my trigger suddenly turned to mush. When I rack the slide, the trigger sets, but then when I pull it, nothing happens, the firing pin doesn't move and the trigger just mushes back and forth. The only way I can get the gun apart is to take off the slide plate cover and remove the firing pin assembly that way. I've got another Glock that I compared it to visually, and everything LOOKS normal, but I don't have a thorough enough understanding of the trigger mechanism to know what's not going on that should be. I hope there's someone out there who's seen this before!

Trigger return spring probably broke. It's a common failure.

glock_trigger_spring_shop.gif

Trigger return spring probably broke. It's a common failure.

glock_trigger_spring_shop.gif

That was my first thought too, but that's not it. No broken springs and the trigger returns just fine.

Try another connector and or trigger bar if you have one. Also check the firing pin safety spring to be sure it hasn't come undone. I just saw this recently, it made the trigger heavy initially and from the owner of the pistol trying to shoot it, it bent the trigger bar slightly. Nothing fixed it but a new firing pin safety spring and new trigger bar.

Try another connector and or trigger bar if you have one. Also check the firing pin safety spring to be sure it hasn't come undone. I just saw this recently, it made the trigger heavy initially and from the owner of the pistol trying to shoot it, it bent the trigger bar slightly. Nothing fixed it but a new firing pin safety spring and new trigger bar.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

I was gonna try swapping these out one at a time to see which one it was, went to pop the connector out and found this:

2993620546_5bc788e681.jpg

Thanks very much for your help!

Is there an illustration online somewhere that shows what bumps into what through the course of the trigger pull? That would help me diagnose these things a lot faster.

I have a broken Scherer connector that looks just like that. The angle was a little too wide to fit in the housing when it came out of the package, so I had to bend it a bit. Too much, so I had to open it up a bit. It went pretty quick after that. <_<

Aftermarket trigger parts... A Glock will sense these and cause them to break. Only stock Glock has the right kharma. But, you must be on the right side of the shooting gods; something like that would only happen to me in the middle of stage in an out of town major match that I spent a gazillion bucks to get to. And I concur, give LWD a call.

That part (connector) also has a spring function to it (beyond just camming down the trigger bar)...which is part of the reset.

When the connector is in the connector housing, you will notice it stands out proud from the housing at a slight angle.

post-690-1225911218_thumb.jpg

The indicated nub (above) rides along on the inside of the slide. There is a bump in the slide that depresses the connector toward the housing. This is the spring action.

The stress point on the "spring" is where your's broke.

post-690-1225911533_thumb.jpg

I really can't speak with too much authority on this (LWD connectors). I do recall reading (Internet forums, fwiw) that the radius at that 90d bend was too sharp. Which might concentrate stress, and it also might mean that the connector doesn't want to be fully inserting into the housing. Also, I believe that the nub on some of these connectors was over-sized...which adds stress to the system.

I think, on Glock Talk, that these issues have been brought up over time and LWD was aware of them. I just don't know to what extent they held true and if the issues were properly addressed.

On a different note, and likely unrelated to this issue... You have some wear on that connector, where the trigger bar rides against it.

post-690-1225912090_thumb.jpg

This area should be stoned smooth and polished, and it needs to be kept wet with oil. I will run all other parts of the gun dry if I have to, but that area needs a drop of oil. (I don't know how many Glocks I've "fixed" at the range when somebody came running to me that their trigger got really hard to pull...then quit working. A drop of oil and they were back in business.)

Take the slide off. Actuate the trigger forward. Then put a drop of oil down in there, between the nose of the trigger bar and the connector. Do so before every use.

When You put your new connector in, make sure to completely seat it into the housing.

You broke a Glock ? !! I didn't know that could happen. :surprise:

If you will notice, it's not a Glock part.

I broke a GLOCK frame once, after ~15k rounds of factory ammo. One of the metal inserts (slide rails?) snapped right off...

You broke a Glock ? !! I didn't know that could happen. :surprise:

If you will notice, it's not a Glock part.

I broke a GLOCK frame once, after ~15k rounds of factory ammo. One of the metal inserts (slide rails?) snapped right off...

Me to. I broke a G22

holy crap.. that's not good. :o I've never seen a connector break like that.

+1. That's a first for me too. I believe that Lone Wolf will be more than happy to send you a new one on their dollar. While you are at it, try and pick up a few extra trigger springs. They are the weakest link in the chain of Glock.

The silver lining is that connectors are cheap,readily available,and you don't need a 'smith to fit/install it.I'm happy to hear that it was something simple,you'll be back to blasting in no time.-Mike

Edited by kframe_mike