Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My farsightedness.

Jman

I'm at a crossroads. A little age and a lot of heredity has robbed me of decent "near" vision. I know, join the party. But viewing my scores over the last several months had me seriously thinking about retiring from practical pistol. Most of us would agree, it's a nasty thought. This whole thing means so much to me. I gave up on corrective lenses for shooting because you sacrifice I type of vision for another. At least it seems that way. The irony is I have 20/20-20/15 vision. Put a set of open iron sights out 36+" from my mug and forget it. Add enough magnification to see them OK and the remaining field of view becomes a nauseating headache...so I'm ordering an Open gun from S&J Custom. ;)

Jim

Jim, you won't believe the difference when you go to Open. I was really, really getting frustrated with limited no matter what combination of contacts, voodoo chants and neoncolored fiberoptic strobe lights I tried. It still ain't like I can see great, but it is certainly workable.

Just be sure to turn the dot down a bit if you shoot late at TNS. Once it gets dark a bright dot seems to make the targets harder to see.

Jim, I think in action shooting your vision is a HUGE factor no doubt. I am predominantly far sighted... if I wear lenses to correct my far vision- it's not enough strength for 20/20 close vision. If I wear lens to correct my close vision like you said the rest of the world is a blur. I tend to use lenses that give me a good far vision and the sights aren't perfect. Not ideal but otherwise like you, it would be nauseating. I find that in most light I can see a good enough sight picture but recently I've tried using some contacts with monovision- reading lens for dominant eye, distant lens for nondominat eye. To make things a little trickier I'm cross eye dominant!!! I'm shooting Expert in IDPA SSP and B in USPSA Prod and am confident my eyes will be fine to get to MA if I keep training. I can see Open in my future though...

Don't give up!!!

Edited by lugnut

I wear my normal distance prescription which means I have to take my glasses off to read things. Reading glasses if I need to read a lot. Astigmatism.

For shooting I have use my distance prescription in my non-dominant eye and a prescription for the dominant eye that is focused on the front sight. A lot of people do this. It works great once your brain realizes what you are doing. Recently I started wearing them inside. It's a nice compromise because the one set of progressive lenses I had I hated.

Seriously, real guns have iron sights. Try a specialized prescription.

:) I understand what you're saying. But with cross dominance, presbyopia etc. It makes sense using unaided eyes on a sharply defined target with a little dot of light between them. Specialized prescriptions/frames and all because of a fuzzy front sight is over doing it IMO.

Jim

Go to the light! Go to the light!!!!!! (The C-More Red Dot Light).

BTW. When one has Crystal (trade name) lense implants for cataracts, it corrects most of the middle age vision issues regarding close up and far.

A mere $8000.00. I'll stick with my open gun.

:) I understand what you're saying. But with cross dominance, presbyopia etc. It makes sense using unaided eyes on a sharply defined target with a little dot of light between them. Specialized prescriptions/frames and all because of a fuzzy front sight is over doing it IMO.

Jim

Jimmy,

I have the same problem, with astymatism thrown in. I do have a special prescription, it's a compromise. The front sight is almost completely sharp, on a 5" gun, sharp on a 6", but, distance is still good for movement. Glasses are from Decot. They're great people to work with, and they're in Phoenix.

I read your thread on eyesight and boy did it him home. I have been going through the exact same thing for the last year or so.

I am extremely nearsighted 20/200 L, 20/400 R and now during the last year or so have also become far sighted. :surprise: Bifocals just ain't cutting it with iron sights. I've tried just about every combination and nothin's working. The doggone front sight is still a blur. I, like you, am cross -eyed dominant.

So, I just traded my Matt Cheely limited gun for a Benny Hill open blaster. I should have it next week.

Hello "Dark Side". :cheers:

Lets keep each other posted on how the transition goes.

Edited by baerburtchell

I am far-sighted and astigmatic. I can correct to better than 20-20 with lenses and am not a candidate for Lasik.

My solution has been to wear a lens that corrects to the normal front sight distance. I have been wearing this for both eyes. I am going to be ordering new glasses shortly. I wear Rudy project and will be getting two pair of inserts. One for a soft close focus and the other for distance. What I have found is I cannot shoot my open gun with my close focus lenses and I can't shoot my Limited guns with my progressives, so the solution seems to be a soft close in the right eye and a long focus in the left for irons and both eyes long for the Open gun. For a scoped rifle, i can adjust the scope to compensate for the close lens so I can still shoot Tactical in 3-gun.

Jim

I recently started shooting pistol competition. I have an archery background and am use to looking at the target an overlaying the sights....NOT staring at a sight in front of you. I have been working at it and working at it but sometimes I feel as though my eyes are doing sprints. It's just a hard habit to break.

Add to this...my twice Lasik operated on eyes went south at 41, and now my near vision is in the crapper.

So, with this all being said....is OPEN a good choice for me too?

I recently started shooting pistol competition. I have an archery background and am use to looking at the target an overlaying the sights....NOT staring at a sight in front of you. I have been working at it and working at it but sometimes I feel as though my eyes are doing sprints. It's just a hard habit to break.

Add to this...my twice Lasik operated on eyes went south at 41, and now my near vision is in the crapper.

So, with this all being said....is OPEN a good choice for me too?

Try one. That's what convinced me.

Jim

That sucks Jim. Just keep coming to the range and shooting in whatever division you want though. I've shot with you enough to know you're very competitive and you have a real desire to get better so as long as you're shooting with the new Open gun you'll get better.

Brothers,

I feel your pain! We shall see what the optometrist and optical surgeon come up with for me after today. I am going in for cataract surgery at 11:00A PDT :(

It will be interesting to see how the post operative eye will work with my shooting. At this time, I can not even see the rear sight, let alone the front sight, so any improvement is a good thing. Who knows, there may be an open gun in my future too.

Brothers,

I feel your pain! We shall see what the optometrist and optical surgeon come up with for me after today. I am going in for cataract surgery at 11:00A PDT :(

It will be interesting to see how the post operative eye will work with my shooting. At this time, I can not even see the rear sight, let alone the front sight, so any improvement is a good thing. Who knows, there may be an open gun in my future too.

I pray your surgery is an outstanding success.

I'm farsighted with asstigmatism and "old". Can't see the front sight without looking thru my bifocals. Can't run with my head tillted back. My solution is to buy stick-on bifocals, ct htem to size with a pair of sissors. Stick one on top of my glasses of my dominate eye. When I tilt my head forward to take sight picture the extra lense is positioned just right to see the front sight. Works preety good - not as good as good eye tho. The lenses are removable but I just leave the one inplace all the time.

Same boat for me. I have sacrificed my distant view to see the sights clearly. I wear my reading glasses to shoot. Follow-up shots are based on my sight picture when I squeeze the round off. I have no idea how I scored until after I'm done with the stage and the score is tallied. I still have fun

That sucks Jim. Just keep coming to the range and shooting in whatever division you want though. I've shot with you enough to know you're very competitive and you have a real desire to get better so as long as you're shooting with the new Open gun you'll get better.

Thanks man. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

I hope that the eye thing goes well with you. Wednesday marked the first week post-op and I have been released to do everything that I would normally do :unsure: . I will be waiting a bit before dragging out the scatter gun tho. I think that the doc put a distance lens in, but have to wait a couple more weeks before they measure a new perscription for that eye (the stygmatisim is still there).

With luck my weak hand shooting will improve greatly, because I have a habit of switching eyes as I switch hands.

• 3 weeks later...