Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun Cart

I've been looking around for a cart to haul my gear in for 3-gun matches. I've seen the adds in Front Sight for the one that looks like the high-end baby stroller that was adapted to hauling guns. Not a bad cart. It lists for $259. I don't know if I want to spend that much for something that I'd probably only use a couple of times a year.

I checked the local hardware stores. Home Depot had a big metal cart in the gardening section. It had big tires and removable sides. Only problem was that it was a little too big. It looked like I could carry an entire squad's gear in that one. It was about four feet long and maybe 2 1/2 feet wide. Something half that size might be a little better. Anyone have any suggestions for something in between these two examples?

i have the home depot version, and yes the whole squad uses it. i have a attachment that allows me to carry it to matches via the trailer hitch. i'd try to find a baby jogging cart at a garage sale. they fold up. easier to put in the car or fly with.

good luck

lynn

I picked up a convertible hand truck at Harbor freight. Bolted on some real front wheels and it is ready to go. Nice thing is it fits in the trunk of the 'stang so I can still get to matches fast. $13.95 on sale and about 25 bucks total with the wheels. I'm going to build a rifle rack that will bolt on as needed that way it can work for 3 gun and regular matches too.

I picked up a convertible hand truck at Harbor freight. Bolted on some real front wheels and it is ready to go. Nice thing is it fits in the trunk of the 'stang so I can still get to matches fast. $13.95 on sale and about 25 bucks total with the wheels. I'm going to build a rifle rack that will bolt on as needed that way it can work for 3 gun and regular matches too.

Do you have the stock number handy?

The Bag Boy folding golf cart makes a great compact and light 3 Gun cart, with just a few minor modifications. Using some 1/8" aluminum and 4 wheeler handlebar gun mounts, took me about 30 minutes to build it. I have pics for anyone interested.

NSDQ/SGDM

If you've seen the Rugged Gear range cart advertised in Front Sight,

you can get a close substitute for WAY less money.

The Rugged Gear cart is based on one of those three wheeled,

pnuematic tire jogging strollers. I became aware of the Rugged Gear

cart (http://www.ruggedgear.com/shooting_cart.php) about a year ago

but thought the price of $260 was a bit steep and I started looking

at alternatives from wagons to hand trucks with pnuematic tires ($40

and up). A few weeks ago I saw the jogging stroller in Target and on

close examination, I realised the Rugged Gear cart is the same exact

stroller but with different fabric and a couple long gun mounts.

Target sells a jogging stroller that appears to be exactly the same thing: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=b...asin=B000067EFO. I got one on sale for $75 and bought a pair of Rugged Gear ATV mounts http://www.ruggedgear.com/atv.php for $30. If Rugged Gear asks you what you want them for, they'll try to sell you some more expensive ones for about $50 but the $30 ones work fine. You'll need to rig up something for the gun muzzle but that's easy enough to do with a variety of things available at your hardware store.

By folding down the seat, there's plenty of room to accomodate a fairly large range bag and there are a couple of pouches under the seat for more storage. The cart moves easily over rough terrain because of the large diameter wheels. The cart folds up and the wheels are quickly removable which makes it easy to transport.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking at carts, and the first strike is AWESOME, at least from a highpower shooter's perspective. I think it can be worked to hold an 11-87 as well as an AR, and the space under the seat will hold my CED range bag and a small cooler! That makes it cool for 3 gun, in my book.

That being said, I'm going to wait a little longer for Lew Tippie to produce his over the winter. Lew worked on the design of the FS, and when I talked to him last month he had parted from FS and was going to market his own, with a 3 gun package as an option. His concern was whether or not the logn guns had to be muzzle up or down.

250 bucks is a lot of cash, but these are heavy duty, and not some converted kids toy!

Take a look at the First Strike. You'll see what I mean.

Tom

I did finally find what I was looking for. I got a metal wagon with removable sides. It was just like the big one I found at Home Depot, but about half as big. It was just the right size. I found it in the Walmart garden section. It was in the $50-60 range (I forget exactly).

I brought it along to the DPMS 3-gun match last weekend in MN, and it worked out great.

• 3 months later...

cartfrontsm.jpg

I have built a cart in the past. I have also seen and looked carefuly at many carts at major 3-Gun matchs and smaller matches, After looking I came up with a list of things I wanted in a cart and things I did not want.

1- It had to be able to carry enough "stuff" for at least one day at the MGM Ironman match.

2- Almost without exeption every match has had one of two things: Rain or Sun

Rain: About half of the cart I have seen addressed this problem by being able to cary the gun in it's case. this will protect it from the rain. Like most of the carts made from a wagon, The allow you to put the gun in its case and cart it around. All of the other carts leave the gun out for the rain to get to it. Most notably are the carts that are made out of a hand truck or the "Rugged Gear" cart.

Sun: When it is sunny it is dusty. I remember going to the Ironman one year and I had my guns in a Hand truck style cart. With the guns exposed and with the wind the guns got covered with dirt. That was a bad idea. On another occation I went to Elko NV in Aug for a match and it was hot and dusty, This time I keept my guns in the case and just draged everthing around. This tought me two thing, THATS A LOT OF WORK and It keept the guns clean. When I got home the guns looked like I had only done target pratice at an indoor range with them not a match in the middle of the Nevada desert.

The cart has to protect the guns when your not shooting.

3- When you go to a match you do not always shoot all three guns on every stage so I want to be able to put my pistol mags, Rifle mags, shot shell holders, ect ... in a case when I am not using them.

4- I want all my ammo in a case like I do when I shoot a pistol match. In a 3-gum match you have alot more ammo that you are changing in and out.

5- A small cooler would be great to put water or gatoraid in so it would stay cool at least part of the day in 95 degree heat.

6- Some way to carry , Extra choke tubes, oil, cleaning rod, Ect. All that extra stuff you want to have close at hand so that you do not have to walk all the way back to the truck when you are on the stage that is the farthest away from your truck.

7- No way am I going to put the muzzle of my $1500 JP rifle or any other gun into a "hole" to support the front of it. All you need is a small nick or ding on the crown of a gun and that barrel is done. When I saw the "Rugged Gear" cart doing that I thought "What a dumb idea I do not want that in my cart."

You can see more picts and how I built it at my web site Utah multi gun association

The whole thing only cost me about $90.00

I have been getting by using a Ford Ranger extended cab with the rear facing back door option for about a year now and it has worked well at the MGM IronMan, RM3Gun, Ruby Mountain 3Gun, and the Area1 3Gun, in rain, snow, wind, and sun.

I leave the uncased long guns in the cab behind the seats and put them in muzzle first on a towel or packing blanket I bring then flip over them to keep things clean whenever the doors are open to the elements. My pistol is left holstered and attached to a SafariLand outer belt on the passenger seat and my food and cooler are kept in the passenger foot well. Supplies/tools/ammo and other gack is left in waterproof plastic totes in the cargo bed of the cart and tarped if needed. A camper shell option is available for this cart too.

I always go right to my cart with all my shooting gear from a stage as soon as I am done and spend the few minutes it takes to check and maintenance all guns, reload & clean all mags and prep all gear needed for the next stage. I get 5 or so minutes to chill/warm/dry/re-hydrate or whatever in the cart cab while I do all of this prep work. I then go back to work duties on the present stage knowing I am ready to go for the next one with everything sitting clean & dry (and cool) inside the cart. When I am on deck for the next stage, I go back to the cart and just put on the pre-loaded belt with pistol, sling my long guns and walk right up to the stage ret-to-go. I have yet to find a stage that I couldn't walk up to with all of the needed gear on in under a minute.

This cart isn't real cheap, but it does have plenty of features. With the 4 litre V6, Automatic Transmission, Power Steering, AntiLock Brakes, Dual Airbags,, Power Windows & Doors, CD/AM/FM, Air Conditioning and more legroom than the other range carts I have tried, I think it is a real value at (MSRP) $17999

Regards,

• 5 months later...

Scott,

I'm trying to duplicate your 3 gun cart. I was curious about how well the Pack Racks hold your long guns in place in what is close to a 45 degree angle? Any problems so far?