Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which video camera to get?

MODS if this in the wrong place please move, thanks!

I have no idea what I'm looking at online so I need you guys to help me out. The quality of video I'm used to is from a digital camera, ya know the one with the squares bouncing around and you can barely see what is going on? I want the following:

Cheap(er) but still decent quality (don't want to spend over 500 and 2-3 hundred would be better)

Can take ok stills

easy to use, don't really need fancy features just need to be able to down load to the computer

Looks like the flash memory ones are cheaper but how quick will those memory cards fill up?

Don't need rediculas amount of zoom will be mainly used for shooting and drag racing videos

I have no idea what I'm looking at online so I need you guys to help me out. The quality of video I'm used to is from a digital camera, ya know the one with the squares bouncing around and you can barely see what is going on? I want the following:

Cheap(er) but still decent quality (don't want to spend over 500 and 2-3 hundred would be better)

Can take ok stills

easy to use, don't really need fancy features just need to be able to down load to the computer

Looks like the flash memory ones are cheaper but how quick will those memory cards fill up?

Don't need rediculas amount of zoom will be mainly used for shooting and drag racing videos

canon fs100...check it out. rediculously light-all digital and SD cards are cheap...$325 or so right now.

Can take ok stills

canon fs100...check it out. rediculously light-all digital and SD cards are cheap...$325 or so right now.

If you google it google shows you videos and stills taken with it, which pretty cool.

I just got ( about two months ago) the new Smasung HD Camcorder OMG! This thing takes video like being there. It kicks the S--T out of my older digatal Sharp camara. Has 8gigs of internal memory. Shot 6 guys at a major match did not use it all up. light weight, small, easy to use, takes Great still photo's, about $400.00 at Walmart did I say the video was Assume?

Edited by nmipsc

I just got ( about two months ago) the new Smasung HD Camcorder OMG! This thing takes video like being there. It kicks the S--T out of my older digatal Sharp camara. Has 8gigs of internal memory. Shot 6 guys at a major match did not use it all up. light weight, small, easy to use, takes Great still photo's, about $400.00 at Walmart did I say the video was Assume?

You have a part number so I can google it?

Panasonic H18

Here's a plathora of videos I have shot. I get a lot of compliments on the video quality. Youtube sucks because they really compress video and this is not a good representation of quality.

When I watch it before it gets on Youtube, it's got stunning quality for a mid/low price camcorder. And sturdy, its in my range bag at every match and you know the kind of weather we get up here in Seattle.

I picked this up last year for $350

Near the bottom right of the video, click on "watch in high quality".

Check my other youtube videos out at : Aristotle's Youtube videos

Edited by Aristotle

Panasonic H18

Here's a plathora of videos I have shot. I get a lot of compliments on the video quality. Youtube sucks because they really compress video and this is not a good representation of quality.

When I watch it before it gets on Youtube, it's got stunning quality for a mid/low price camcorder. And sturdy, its in my range bag at every match and you know the kind of weather we get up here in Seattle.

Super is ready so I'll have to look further...right now I can only find the SDR which out of my budget but those are some good vids!

If you could wait, I'd wait and see if you could pick one up on Black Friday (after Thanksgiving day sale). Kind of a hassle, but I did it this year, except came in at lunch time and I was in and out like it was any other day and picked it up for a steal (they were regularly $450).

Edited by Aristotle

You have a part number so I can google it?

This sounds like: Samsung SC-HMX10

canon fs100...check it out. ridiculously light-all digital and SD cards are cheap...$325 or so right now.

This one seems to gets consistently good reviews..

What cards are you using? Any problem keeping up with the writes?

What's the biggest cad you've tried so far?

Zhunter: Hard disk? Dude.. it's the 21st century! lol - I can't imagine getting a camera with a hard disk.

If you could wait, I'd wait and see if you could pick one up on Black Friday (after Thanksgiving day sale). Kind of a hassle, but I did it this year, except came in at lunch time and I was in and out like it was any other day and picked it up for a steal (they were regularly $450).

When I say SDR is out of my budget I'm saying they are 8-900 bucks! DO you have a product number maybe? Your videos are exactly what I'm looking for.

Ok Amazon.com has 3 that are 700-800. The rest are 400 and down... go figure. I'm still open to suggestions but that thing looks pretty sweet!

Ok both the Panasonic SDR H18 and the Canon look nice. Can anybody tell me if one is better than the other? Oh and it makes a huge difference when you click the show better quality on youtube!

Edited by steel1212

When I say SDR is out of my budget I'm saying they are 8-900 bucks! DO you have a product number maybe? Your videos are exactly what I'm looking for.

Ok Amazon.com has 3 that are 700-800. The rest are 400 and down... go figure. I'm still open to suggestions but that thing looks pretty sweet!

ah, gotcha. I have the Panasonic SDR-H18

did a search for you...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=s...6242#ps-sellers

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Corey you get a camera yet? I am looking for 1 as well. Actually heard rumor that Tewlman had a neat vid cam at DPMS this year. No idea what brand/model it is though.

No not yet, the misses wants a camera also so I'm holding out for christmas.

I went looking a few months ago and bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-CG9-Memory...4827&sr=1-2

Flash memory is the way to go, inexpensive and no moving parts unlike a hard disk. I spoke to people who love them, and I talked to a couple who had the hard disk crap out on them. My wife has used flash memory for several years in her camera with no problems which influenced my decision.

High definition wasn't worth ($) it for me since all I wanted was some thing to post video on faccebook and youtube. I'm looking at doing a promotional DVD which might be nice to shoot high def, but not everyone has a high def player or TV so why send the $.

I like the camera it's small and easy to use, and more importantly seems fairly rugged.

• 11 months later...
Panasonic H18

Just wondering, what camera are you using for your hatcam?

Joe W.

Panasonic H18

Just wondering, what camera are you using for your hatcam?

Joe W.

Vio POV v1