Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 or Springfield XD 9 Tactical

nickatnite

Ok guys,

Don't flog the new guy just yet. I've been searching but haven't quite found the answers I'm looking for.

My last built gun I was using was a S&W 686 (built up for NRA Action Pistol).

What I'm looking for is someone that has shot the G17L, G34 and a Springfield XD9 Tactical to give me a good eval.

I'm getting ready to build another gun and it will be used for 2 types of shooting now.

NRA Action Pistol and IPSC is what I'm building for. The reason why I am asking about these 2 specific guns is that I have access to them to get started.

Any help?

I started shooting an XD9 about 5 months ago and love it so much that I am buying another one tonight to have as a back up. I also shoot a SVI in .40 and an STI in .45. I can go back and forth between guns without missing a beat. The XD9 with a Canyon Creek trigger ROCKS!

The G17L isn't going to be a good choice for USPSA (IPSC in the USA). It's not legal (too big) for Production division. And, 9mm is at a disadvantage in the other divisions.

I've shot the 5in 9mm XD. My shooting buddy has two of the 5in guns. He spent about the cost again of the gun, to get it tuned up to his liking (x2 since he had 2 of them). He did come away with a crisp and light trigger, and buried Bomars.

I am a Glock shooter, so know that. But, I wouldn't pick the XD. It would be a good third down my list of Production type guns. Ahead of it for sure...for me...would be a Glock, then the S&W M&P.

The Glock, in my estimation, is more likely to shoot a tighter group at 25y. (He and I would do well at the local NRA-AP matches with both the XD and the Glock.)

Both are good for USPSA Production. I feel the Glock is less likely to malfunction/break.

The 17L has little place in USPSA, IDPA, and IPSC as its length bars it from competitive divisions. I am of the opinion that the XD has jumped the shark since the S&W M&P hit the scene.

I too am a Glock shooter, and would recommend either the G17 or G34. Both guns can play in Production, Limited, and Open, and you can purchase every replacement part in the gun for very little money. As opposed to having to ship your gun out for a trigger job, forum vendor Charlie Vanek sells an amazing drop in trigger kit that will work wonders.

Just my thoughts...thanks for listening and welcome to the forum :)

This should be in the HUMOR FORUM!!!!!!!!

ITS like going to the Ford dealer and asking " should I buy Ford or Chevy ? " :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

But I think the Glock is the better choice :surprise:

So says the guy who has a SV in his avatar....

Thanks guys.

I now know that my 17L will NOT be used and headed to go get a Glock 34.

The gentleman was asking for a good evaluation.

I like Glocks true - they go boom every time. The XD belonged to a friend of mine. The work had been done and it was ready to roll. The second is the same way. Canyon Creek preformed the work. The guns have slight differences, but mostly the same.

They point well for me and are easy to clean. With the right load I have found them to be accurate. I can also run Winchester primers without issue.

Edited by TM262

So says the guy who has a SV in his avatar....

Thanks guys.

I now know that my 17L will NOT be used and headed to go get a Glock 34.

Well said, and a good decision. You will be MUCH happier with a G34...especially when you shoot more USPSA matches ;)

I can't speak for the glock, I just didn't like the way it felt in my hand and I must also add I haven't shot one. I shot all summer with a SW Model 59 9mm and just replaced it with an XD9 5" 3 weeks ago. I now have nearly 1200 rounds through it w/o a hickup and here is a group shot from 30' with my reloads. These were shot with the pistol resting on a bag and I was kneeling. I am happy with the accuracy, dependability and feel of the pistol. I haven't done a trigger job on it yet but I have a couple of friends that did their own with the Power Valley kits. I believe they run around $50.00 and you can do it yourself.

Tagetgrouptight.jpg

I can't speak for the glock, I just didn't like the way it felt in my hand and I must also add I haven't shot one. I shot all summer with a SW Model 59 9mm and just replaced it with an XD9 5" 3 weeks ago. I now have nearly 1200 rounds through it w/o a hickup and here is a group shot from 30' with my reloads. These were shot with the pistol resting on a bag and I was kneeling. I am happy with the accuracy, dependability and feel of the pistol. I haven't done a trigger job on it yet but I have a couple of friends that did their own with the Power Valley kits. I believe they run around $50.00 and you can do it yourself.

Tagetgrouptight.jpg

Nice little group, but don't get a trigger job just yet, the gun is just now breaking in.

Here was the last range visit with 100 rds of WWB at the same distance as you. My gun has just over 5,000 rds thru it.

378231162_HxhFL-L.jpg

I have an XD9 5' that I got this summer. I have been shooting a 1911A1 in competition for about 2 years in single stack and doing not too bad. I also have a G21sf and I like it very well. I recently started shooting my XD9 in Production class and for IDPA. As much as I hate to say it, the XD is way quicker for me. It points very naturally and runs like a watch. I put a Springer Precision kit in it and it improved the trigger hugely. The fitting was not difficult at all so it was economical. If you are good with hand tools it is not a hard job. I think that the ergonomics of it are very much like a Browning Hi-power, just a little bulkier. I am a fan of the Master, JMB. I have a good friend that just got an M&P9 and I find it to be an excellent shooter. I think you ought to try running a few hundred rounds through each one of the guns you are thinking about to see what works. There is SO MUCH good engineering out there you shouldn't have much trouble getting one that really fits you!!

Well, the water isn't muddy enough, so i'd say you should take a look at the S&W M&P PRO. nice pistol and it doesn't have "Tactical" in the name. It's a "PRO", so it's got to be good, right?

Well,

The jury is in....

G34 it is. After doing some reading on rules and blah blah blah, the Glock won over.

I got it home and WOW... :surprise: I'm really impressed.

Went to the range (indoor) and shot right at 200 rds of 115 gr FMJ ( WWB ) at ranges from 10' to 50'. I also shot a few rounds of plates.

Behold 50 rds...

398776540_gPaBU-L.jpg

Time to order some sights and shoot it some more.

Edited by nickatnite

You did good on you pick of the G34. I have the 34 and 35, and they're both great guns. I shoot the 34 more, because ammo is cheaper, and the added ammo capacity is an advantage in 3 gun matches when I don't need to make Major.

Full disclosure: I have 10 Glocks! So, you could say that I have a preference! One big advantage to Glocks is that there is a multitude of after market parts for them. Also, don't ignore the fact that your Glock will still be shooting when the others have turned to dust! Or rust. Or rusty dust! Glocks are the ONLY weapon I would reasonably trust to take out of the box and carry for self protection. They are mechanical devices and can fail, but the chances of that happinig are pretty slim with any out of the box Glock.

Enjoy your 34, you did good! ;)

foto029sq7.th.jpgthpix.gif

By far my current g34 it's the most accurate pistol I've ever owned.

This group was shot at 25 yds using sandbags as a rest by a fellow that did bullseye shooting for many many years.

I've use 145 gr lead RN, 9x21 fiocchi brass CCI primers and 3,4 grs of N320.

As a side note, I shoot in the neighborhood of 50.000 rds/year, all lead bullets with absolutely no adverse affect on my glock.

The shooter that did the group test was amazed by the trigger pull that I did by myself following the JoeD thread instructions.

Absolutely, this forum is the better thing that had happened to me as a shooter :cheers:

Okay I had to add my 2 Cents in here.

I have 2 G34 and a 35. The 34's both have nice trigger jobs.

I also bought a M&P 45 which I really like.

I Shot my friends XD and that is nice also.

So I still like the trigger in my Glocks a little bit better that the others.

I never owned a Gun with a 1911 angle until I bought the Smith.

I really don't have a issue with Grip angle on Either gun.

I know some people say 1911 grip angles point better for them but I can run either one just fine. :cheers: .

Okay I would by the Glocks again.

Jan

I like my Glocks, but I also like my XD. For Production it is a pick your poison sort of deal- whatever you like. If you want to shoot IDPA, the XD Tactical gets you stuck in ESP- shooting against tuned 9mm 1911's and such.

I started shooting IDPA and USPSA with a Glock 35, great gun. Bought a XD 9 Tactical. What a difference it made. I could never get

the Glock grip angle to work for me. Had a grip reduction done on the Glock, made a real difference. So now I shoot the XD in IDPA and the Glock in Limited USPSA.