Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perfect Impact Sight Laser

shred

Dave asked me to post a little review of this gizmo here. It's one of those things that you can go from not even knowing of it's existence to needing to have one in just a few seconds.

It's simple in concept-- a laser mounted exactly aligned (mine appears surface-ground in place) to a strong magnet. How it works is you stick the magnet to the muzzle of whatever unloaded firearm you're holding, turn on the laser and it instantly shows you where the barrel is pointing. Take a look through the sights and see if they agree.

I've seen a number of laser boresighters over the years-- put a carefully sized stick down the barrel with a laser on the other end and you get the same result. The reason this one is cool is it just snaps on and off the muzzle of pretty much anything in any caliber (above 12 Ga may be pushing it) and is instantly aligned. I tried it on most everything in my safe and it worked great; 1911, CZ, Glock, 10/22, AR, STI, Remington, Uberti, Marlin, etc and with only a couple exceptions-- an old-school JP 'tank' muzzle-break and a 1911 where the barrel didn't stick out past the bushing-- anytime the barrel end is square to the bore (and the vast majority are, even comp guns), this thing works.

Here's a couple action shots-- one on an iron-sighted gun (I had to aim up just a little to make the dot visible in the picture)post-1846-1223965216_thumb.jpg

And a couple more of an Open gun: post-1846-1223965240_thumb.jpg-- up close to the wall, you see both dots due to bore offset. Want to know your zero distance? Walk backwards until the dots converge.

Here's what it looks like at long range, although much less blurry-- note that I held the gun steady and moved the camera to show how the dots overlap at the sight-in range.

post-1846-1223965555_thumb.jpg

The people that will really love this are the Open shooters, others with scopes and people that like to fiddle with sights-- I've been to a lot of matches without function-fire ranges and after a long plane trip, you are never really sure your sights are on. A friend dropped his gun and had to shoot the last stage of a match with a dot pointing who-knows-where. Slap this on in the hotel room or safe area and you know instantly if your sights are still on. Adjusting them back close is easy-- move the sights to the laser dot. Swap a .22 top end or a different scope on and adjusting is no problem. Take it to the range for when the mall-ninjas complain their sights are 'off' (how they can determine that from a loose spattering of rounds all over the paper, I don't know)

It's also a cool dry-fire drill tool-- check out some of the old threads on here around strapping a laser pointer to a gun and running around the house. Do some dry reloads and watch where the dot zings around. It won't fit in the holster, but do draws from Position 2 and see what the dot does. Exercise the cat while you dry-fire ;) Iron sight shooters can figure out just what sight misalignment will do to the bullet at various ranges, and it's real easy to show somebody how to use iron sights-- "if you're sighted on the dot, you're doing it right".

The only downside is the laser isn't very visible in sunlight like all red laser pointers, and at some point what bullets do differs from what lasers do-- from my testing, that's not really a problem with what it's for-- I wouldn't go trying to use it at 100+ yards or anything and expect it to be exactly on.

Two thumbs up. Mine's going with me to the World Shoot. Put one on your x-mas list for those people that say "I don't know what to get you".

• 3 weeks later...
I looked for them on the website and can't find them. Any idea on a price?

ETA: Nevermind, just noticed the link in your post.

$59 http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDeta...0939-1222979514

How do they work with a Titanium comp?

Probably not so good unless it's a magnetic form of Titanium, though you could probably hold it there, it wouldn't be as useful.

I think I sold four or five of them yesterday to WS attendees wandering by the safe area while I was in there with it verifying my sights were on before shooting that day.

I looked for them on the website and can't find them. Any idea on a price?

ETA: Nevermind, just noticed the link in your post.

$59 http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDeta...0939-1222979514

How do they work with a Titanium comp?

Probably not so good unless it's a magnetic form of Titanium, though you could probably hold it there, it wouldn't be as useful.

I think I sold four or five of them yesterday to WS attendees wandering by the safe area while I was in there with it verifying my sights were on before shooting that day.

I think you should send me one for testing purposes. :)

I can think of about a dozen uses for this for the military in the field. You ever try to sight in an M-2 50 BMG machinegun? How about a PEQ2 night vision laser at o-dark-30 in the middle of the Iraqi desert...

I already sent the info to our logistics person. :cheers:

• 7 months later...
will it work on a stainless slide? even stainless has some magnetic properties would it be enough to work.

Depends on the stainless. Take a regular magnet & see if it will stick securely to your gun in the same place this tool fits.

MLM

• 4 months later...
Got any pictures of what it looks like installed? I'm curious to know what aligns the laser to the bore.

You simply stick it to the end of your muzzle, getting it aligned exactly to your bore is really just a matter of getting the unit centered on your muzzle. So it isn't going to be exactly perfectly in line with your muzzle, but it's damn close.

I have one of these and use it all the time for adjusting sights around the house. I've found it is certainly good enough for getting a set of iron sights or a cmore lined up on a pistol for competition use. I have used it to adjust a new cmore or set of sights, gone out and shot a match without sighting it in and the gun hit right where I wanted it to.

For a scope you can line it up to get it on paper at 100 yards, but you'll still have to adjust it to get the scope exactly where you want.

Mine has this nice, spring loaded "finger" that goes into the bore and centers it quite well. Used it on all of my pistols to verify they are on. Also used it on my carbine and AR (after taking off the flash suppressor). Nice to have a dot to verify the red dots on them.

Well worth the money. Down side is I can't blame my sights for bad shots now....

Some time back I used a borrowed BeamHit laser training system to boresight my open gun. The BeamHit has a laser module on a stub that fits in the barrel. It is held in place with 2 nylon split rings that are expanded by set screws so it is not an exact fit. I was able to use that device and the longest distance in my house (~50') to get the Docter set close enough to get within a couple of inches of zero at 25 yards. About a 0.13 degree or 7.6 MOA error to start. Just a little tweaking to get it zeroed. I imagine the Perfect Impact thing is at least that good if it will stick to your gun and that the end of the barrel/comp is normal to the bore.

Later,

Chuck