Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillion 550 Main ram drag

Ok, so I've noiced on my press that the main ram is difficult to operate even without loading shells. Press completly empty, no shells, tool top removed. I notice that the first inch and a half of movement is difficut, then it gets really easy for about 3-4 inches and then gets hard to raise the ram toward the top 1-2 inches again... I've tried some diffrent lubrication as of late, wiped it down and used breakfree, wiped it down and used kroil, wiped i down and used mobile 1 15w-50 motor oil... still the same thing... Do you think perhaps somehow the main ram is out of alignment or bent? hard to imagine it could bend....

Any suggesions would be helpful. I can use the press the way it is, but it's really annoying the way the stroke is right now...

Thanks

Ok, so I've noiced on my press that the main ram is difficult to operate even without loading shells. Press completly empty, no shells, tool top removed. I notice that the first inch and a half of movement is difficut, then it gets really easy for about 3-4 inches and then gets hard to raise the ram toward the top 1-2 inches again... I've tried some diffrent lubrication as of late, wiped it down and used breakfree, wiped it down and used kroil, wiped i down and used mobile 1 15w-50 motor oil... still the same thing... Do you think perhaps somehow the main ram is out of alignment or bent? hard to imagine it could bend....

Any suggesions would be helpful. I can use the press the way it is, but it's really annoying the way the stroke is right now...

Thanks

Have you only been lubing the ram?

How about the lube points on the bottom joint?

Is your shellplate allen screw tight in the left side of the ram shaft?

Thanks

Have you only been lubing the ram?

How about the lube points on the bottom joint?

Is your shellplate allen screw tight in the left side of the ram shaft?

Lube?? :surprise:

One of your linkage pins probably has some gauling on it. My 550 had nearly the same problem. Remove the pin at the bottom of the linkage arms, it's held in with 2 E-clips, and move everything independantly. You'll find the problem area. A little cleaning up with some emery cloth and some lube on the pins before reassembly should fix you right up.

Regular lubing of the press prevents this. It is galling, find it and if you can't fix it send the press to Dillon and they will fix it. Lube plenty and lube often, with the dissimilar metals and load put on the press it really is essential.

Pull out the main shaft.....I said shaft........LOL

You will most likely have galling on the shaft. about 90 bucks with shipping and you can have a new one on the way, least that is what they cost for the 1050s......maintenance is the key, and keeping the motor oil jug on the bench near by.....

DougC

I have used an assortment of oils and grease on my Dillon 550, which does not have any grease fittings. Do any of you have any preferences on what to use in order to prevent problems such as this?

There's a STICKY on this subject at the top of the forums list.

Bronson7

Thanks for the replies guys.I've removed the main ram in order to lube it up with the mobile 1. I did that by removing the C-clipson that one cross bar at the bottom with the wave washers, it looked pretty lubed up already. I left the two vertical arms on the press, are you saying to take those out and lube them?

maineshootah - "Is your shellplate allen screw tight in the left side of the ram shaft?"

Are you talking about the two allen head screws that go into the top of the ram to hold the shellplate on? I've tigtened both of those down, after I took it all apart for the mobile 1 lube up.

I thought galling only occured with like Aluminum on Aluminum contact... the main ram is steel

... I really hope I don'thave to send this thing back... if it is galled or whatever, could a polish it up with like some JB bore paste or something like that to get it smooth again... or would I do more harm than good there?

The galling will likely be on the top pins of the 2 link bars.

The link bars should swing freely and easily when loose from the yoke. My hunch is they move very stiffly. If so, the top pins (steel) have galled with the link arms (alloy).

The galling will likely be on the top pins of the 2 link bars.

The link bars should swing freely and easily when loose from the yoke. My hunch is they move very stiffly. If so, the top pins (steel) have galled with the link arms (alloy).

Hmm, I'll have to lookat that, the last place I didn't look of course. I don't have it all in front of me right now, do those pins just drft out? would you hink that just dissassembling and oiling it up would workto get everything smooth again... or is it damaged from the galling? repairable by polishing or new parts?

Of course taking it apart will tell for sure, but expectations before I get in there?

the 2 upper pins are a friction fit. The pin on the right is hollow to allow a narrow drift pin through it to remove the left pin. A larger diameter pin will be needed to remove the one on the right. IF there is galling, you'll be able to tell as soon as you take it apart, clean up the pins and the press parts.

I can highly recommend the thin slide glide for the ram and pins when you reassemble the machine.

Dillon will provide the correct special tool for top link arm pin removal. It is an eight inch nail with the point ground off. Skinny end for pin without hole, fat end for pin with hole. Ram will need to be removed to get at those pins.

On a regular basis for oiling medium machine oil in a pump can will suffice for oiling the holes in the link arms and bottom crank. I use a small bottle of Militec that has the narrow plastic nozzle. It gets in there in between full strip downs for proper greasing. Keep it oiled.

Thanks for all the help guys, I finally had some free time today and took the press completly appart. I found that it was he left link arm and pin that was in fact galled. I Could physically see metal from the arm stuck to the pin, not good stuff. I know I hadddn't lubed up that part of the press.... ever... and I got it used, but I would have thought it would hold the lube in there and keep workng..

Anyway, I took the dremel to it to get rid of the excess metal from the pin, I smoothed the inside of the arm as well. This probably loosened up the tolerances of the press, should I just order new parts (priced around $50) or will I be fine with it as it is. I'm kinda worried a little about losening up the tolerances of the press, or putting extra stress on the other arm and possibly causing damage.. So last question, is it good to go, or should I bite the bullet and get new parts?

After re-assembly and a lot of mobile 1, I can't believe how slick the press is, almost effortless. Thanks for helping me narrow this down guys, without your help I probably would have kept man-handling the thing and end up breaking something bigger, so this one is on me :cheers:

pics are all before I took the dremel to them.

IMG_7664.jpg

IMG_7662.jpg

IMG_7660.jpg

IMG_7659.jpg

I hate to be a kill joy and I realize this is somewhat like reading the directions but you could call Dillon. They know all about these presses. Call them anyway and ask for the new parts you need - - it's free

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, just thought I'd update you on what I did. I tried loading some ammo on it the way it was, but it seemed like the powder tube was stickinga bit more than normal, I was thinking that it wasn't pushing the ram up uniformly since the one side had more slop in it than the other. So to ease my mind and make sure that everything was running right, I ordered a new left side arm and pin. They arrived the other day and I installed them without issue. I loaded up some .40 for the USPSA match yesterday, with ease, shot the match and it all went very well.

Thank you all for your advice in this matter, I don't know what I would have done without it