Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Tape vs Stippling

Rob D

I think if the Trugrip were modified so the back piece overlapped the front it would get rid of this occurrence completely.

You can just install it in the reverse order. Put down the front, then put the rear on top. Tack down the tabs with super glue or the black CA that I sell. It won't budge until you peel it off.

I was planning on modifying the G17/22/34 backstraps soon anyway, so what I'll do on the next run is make the tabs as long as the G21 so that the "reverse option" is more solid.

Good feedback! Thank you! :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if the Trugrip were modified so the back piece overlapped the front it would get rid of this occurrence completely.

You can just install it in the reverse order. Put down the front, then put the rear on top. Tack down the tabs with super glue or the black CA that I sell. It won't budge until you peel it off.

I was planning on modifying the G17/22/34 backstraps soon anyway, so what I'll do on the next run is make the tabs as long as the G21 so that the "reverse option" is more solid.

Good feedback! Thank you! :)

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it that way with my second set.

Guys-n-Gals,

Glad this thread exists. I was going to stipple.

Are there desert camo Tu-Grips for the G21? My G21 just happens to be desert camo. I think it would look weird with black Tru-Grips. Maybe I will have to strip the camo and die the frame black then get do grip tape.

Thanks!

kr

Edited by freeidaho

Guys-n-Gals,

Glad this thread exists. I was going to stipple.

Are there desert camo Tu-Grips for the G21? My G21 just happens to be desert camo. I think it would look weird with black Tru-Grips. Maybe I will have to strip the camo and die the frame black then get do grip tape.

Thanks!

kr

I've seen some two-tone glocks --- Bender's comes to mind --- and they can look sharp.....

My Glock is (was) all blue, but after tons of dryfiring and livefiring it has acquired holster wear. The TruGrip has always been black, and I have always accepted the scares of use and functionality. Embrace the disparity of fashion over functionality!

I've been experimenting with recontouring the grip and applying epoxy and grit, like on an SVI Scott grip. I've been doing this for a couple of years on 2011 grips and it holds up really well. I used to use grip tape but this is 100% better. When the grit gets built up with dead skin and crud, just scrub it with hot water and dish detergent and it is as good as new.

Only problem with the Glock is the recontour isn't legal in Production.

I stick with cheap skateboard tape. I don't need to use much and my needs change with the seasons. I have REALLY dry skin and a rock crushing grip. In the winter, my hands get super dry so I add tape to the front and back of the grip. In the summer, my hands don't get quite as dry, so I just put tape on the back of the grip. Of course, I have also been known to change on a whim- so I like the flexibility of tape. The key that I have found to putting tape on my Glocks is to wipe down the target area with alcohol prior to installation.

I've been experimenting with recontouring the grip and applying epoxy and grit, like on an SVI Scott grip. I've been doing this for a couple of years on 2011 grips and it holds up really well. I used to use grip tape but this is 100% better. When the grit gets built up with dead skin and crud, just scrub it with hot water and dish detergent and it is as good as new.

Where do you find the right epoxy and "grit". This sounds interesting...I've got a beater Glock that needs something done to it and this may be just the ticket.

Grip tape does the job at a decent price. It doesn't slide around like some of them do. Before I got into the biz, I used skate board tape. It was cheap, and I could cut it any way I liked. I found that small strips slide around after awhile, as the adhesive breaks down.

TruGrip has the right grit and stick. When you consider that you're paying for the gun itself, it is a bargain. If you're kicking down doors, getting in and out of patrol cars, and really rough things up, consider adding the adhesive. The optional adhesive just "stitches together" the seams.

And Eric even supplies the alcohol wipes!

:)

Where do you find the right epoxy and "grit". This sounds interesting...I've got a beater Glock that needs something done to it and this may be just the ticket.

You can experiment with different sands or blasting media. The epoxy or glue you use is the most important part. I'm sure several brands will work. Most of the work is in the grip preparation.

EG

• 2 weeks later...

If you stippled your gun and did not like it, could you just sand the grip back to smooth and apply grip tape back over it? The only thing visible would be the grip tape. Not sure if this would be legal or not.

Edited by PatD

If you stippled your gun and did not like it, could you just sand the grip back to smooth and apply grip tape back over it? The only thing visible would be the grip tape. Not sure if this would be legal or not.

Appendix D4 would consider that an illegal modification.

I posted a response from JA on such a question. from a 10-6-08 email to him:

Hi Vince,

Appendix D4 item 22 prohibits the removal of material on the grips which change the factory profile.

John

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 1:44 PM

To: John Amidon

Subject: Production, stippling and removal

John, with grip stippling now being allowable in Production, I have - as

usual - an off the wall question.

Let's say I buy a pre-owned Glcok that has had its grip stippled. If I

remove the stippling off of a Glock, using sanding or other abrasive

methods, and I then cover it with grip tape - say Tru-Grip, is that

considered an external modifcation and therefore illegal? I have

changed the profile, changed the grip size and a variety of other

prameters to accomplish this.

Just asking!

Vince Lucchetti

TY-45480

I just leave mine naked and squeeze really really hard.

Seriously the tape hurts my little girl hands and stippling is not production legal.

I'm pretty sure stippling IS legal under the 2008 rules as long as you don't change the shape or size of the grip.

I just leave mine naked and squeeze really really hard.

Seriously the tape hurts my little girl hands and stippling is not production legal.

I'm pretty sure stippling IS legal under the 2008 rules as long as you don't change the shape or size of the grip.

aah, but there is the rub...how would you know unless you had a template to match it up against? I've not seen one....

No, that just shows where the tape/stipling can go. It says nothing about rounded corners, material removed and so on. I'm talking about how do you measure the width, girth, et. al. to make sure that nothing was substantively removed or angles changed. Stipling can cover up material removal in some areas, making the grip thinner and easier to hold above and beyond the stipling.

But enough of my rambling about a ruling I don't care for.

No, that just shows where the tape/stipling can go. It says nothing about rounded corners, material removed and so on. I'm talking about how do you measure the width, girth, et. al. to make sure that nothing was substantively removed or angles changed. Stipling can cover up material removal in some areas, making the grip thinner and easier to hold above and beyond the stipling.

I guess there's no way to guarantee that the grip shape/size hasn't been altered at all, but it seems like it would be a LOT of work to significantly alter the shape and size of your grip with a soldering iron or wood burner. Granted, somebody who wanted to cheat the system could probably do a grip reduction, then stipple on top of it and nobody would know, but I feel like that's how most of the rules are in production division. Especially since not many matches actually check your gun in detail.