Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Tape vs Stippling

Rob D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess there's no way to guarantee that the grip shape/size hasn't been altered at all, but it seems like it would be a LOT of work to significantly alter the shape and size of your grip with a soldering iron or wood burner. Granted, somebody who wanted to cheat the system could probably do a grip reduction, then stipple on top of it and nobody would know, but I feel like that's how most of the rules are in production division. Especially since not many matches actually check your gun in detail.

I agree that the work can be done beforehand and then stipling to cover, though most production rules show that one can go back to the original state with the change of a few parts - should someone do something that does not pass muster. That is my kvetch over stipling.

• 4 years later...

I just tried Tac-Grip as my first option for improving my grip, and its not sticking well. Is there some trick to get a piece that doesn't want to stick to stick better, or should I just peel it off re-clean and put on a new piece?

Someone mentioned a hair dryer earlier, so I may try that before I get rid of this tac-grip.

I have used nothing but Jessup skateboard tape and it works great, I use it on all of my guns. It has been on my CZ Shadow over 3 years now and it still provides good grip in the hand.

Jessup works great on the frame but it gets gummy and moves around on the slide. Guessing cause of heat.

I just tried Tac-Grip as my first option for improving my grip, and its not sticking well. Is there some trick to get a piece that doesn't want to stick to stick better, or should I just peel it off re-clean and put on a new piece?

Someone mentioned a hair dryer earlier, so I may try that before I get rid of this tac-grip.

Wrap it with 550 cord for a couple days.

What are my options if I don't like the texture on my Gen4 Glocks? Love the slimmer backstrap, but hate the pyramid checkering... It feels like little needles on my girly hands. It also doesn't provide much lateral grip, not compared to stippled Gen3's I've shot in the past.

• 6 months later...