Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cleaning out that little bit of leading

stgdz

So our season is done and I have started to clean out the 1911. I have gotten most of the leading out of the barrel but there is just a couple of specs left and I can't get it out no matter how hard I try and here is what I have tried

-Lewis lead remover

-Chore boy

-Let the barrel soak in hoppes 9 for about 5 mins.

Nothing gets the last couple of specs out, it is rite outside the chamber. I want to run FMJ's through the barrel now but don't really want to push any lead into.

Any advice? I figure a overnight hoppes9 soak may do it.

Plug the barrel and dump in a 50-50 mix of vinegar & peroxide, let sit for 15 mins dump & clean with Hoppe's Lead Remover formula.

If you do this, make sure you rinse well with water and then slather it with oil inside and out. That vinegar and peroxide mix is nasty if you leave it in there.

I tend to lean towards Schuman's advice on this subject. My guns that only see JHPs rarely get cleaned. Usually they get detailed a match or 2 before I shoot a major match. That way I have time to take care of any problems that might pop up. My .45 SS that gets LSWC it gets cleaned about every 500 or so rounds just because of the lead particles outside of the barrel. The barrel will get a couple passes with a copper brush then some patches. What is left gets shot out.

Plug the barrel and dump in a 50-50 mix of vinegar & peroxide, let sit for 15 mins dump & clean with Hoppe's Lead Remover formula.

Did'nt anybody read my previous thread about this ??? http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...hl=overcleaning

Update: Since that last thread I have officially found how to remove "all" traces of fouling and streaks of lead and moly !!

I always thought it was said to to try to be funny but it works like a charm, shoot a match with Plated Bullets !! They must have just the right softness to be able to squeez all the junk out right in that land, groove, corner. I shoot Precisions and they leave alot

of streaking in the grooves, I could scrub and scrub with only about 60% removal. Then I shot one match (about 150 rounds) with plated bullets, one wet patch, one dry patch, and mirror finish.. :surprise: It cant be this easy but it is !!! :rolleyes::cheers:

I wet the bore with Butch's Bore Shine. Couple of passes with newish brush. Then wrap a large patch around a worn brush and scrub back and forth inside bore. That gets it pretty darn clean. Finish with a dry patch on a jag.

So our season is done and I have started to clean out the 1911.

Once a year? Really? :surprise: No wonder you can't get it out.

The gun is less then a month old, the wife picked it up for my 30th b-day so I have only done this once but from the looks of this thread after shooting lead I will shoot a couple of mags of jacketed ammo through it and then clean it. Actually I don't think I will clean the barrel until it affects my accuracy. A couple of quick swipes with a patch after 1-2 months of shooting and then I am done.

I did read though that this isn't recommended as it pushes the lead into the barrel. I am going to move away from shooting lead though and shoot more jacketed ammo as this lead vs jacketed ammo is fairly confusing for me.