Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MODIFIED guns

ViktorCistic

While it's not IPSC or USPSA's stated purpose, personally, I find it neat that technological advances developed in IPSC/USPSA shooting have been further developed and adopted by some law enforcement and military forces. Modified Division encourages that sort of "practical" development.

Can you provide some examples of the law enforcement community further developing technology that we use? I am curious about this as I see allot of law enforcement come to the range and struggle shooting on the public line - not a flame - just an observation - We have great competitors shooting our sport in law enforcement but the truth is most of them do not put allot of time and effort into shooting their duty guns.

Sorry for the thread drift - you can move this one if you like.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not saying modified is limited in capacity. I just suggested that lowering capacity to 10 rounds might make it a cool replacement for L-10. You'd have the dot and comp of open, 40 S&W of Limited along with the 10rnd capacity of L-10. I don't know about you but that sounds like fun to me! Besides, Open and Limited guys know how to reload fast right? Also it would make a class with possibly a larger following then L-10 since it would have more universal appeal.

BTW, I'm fortunate enough to have shot a STI based modified gun since a good friend of mine has one (also has a CZ modified). It's an "interesting" gun to shoot. The box limitations just make it even more interesting and the ingenuity of a good smith really shows with them.

Where'd you guys get the idea the modified guns are low capacity? JV Dynamics claims full capacity 140mm mags (21+1). Sure, it's not a big stick, but it's a far cry from a 10-rounder...

Anyway, I love the look of the Modified guns. If we had Modified in the US, I'd be building one now instead of the longer version that I'm currently working on.

Those that have shot modified guns, how much does the comp help? It seems like they are pretty small and you might be better off with some hybrid holes and be able to get a longer barrel or longer mag for more rounds.

James..that's trick...

who built that??

It's a Limcat, what else? :lol:

Those that have shot modified guns, how much does the comp help? It seems like they are pretty small and you might be better off with some hybrid holes and be able to get a longer barrel or longer mag for more rounds.

My gun has quite a bit of muzzle lift, so i can't honestly say that the comp does a whole lot.

I hate hybrids so that's out of the question, anyhow making it a hybrid wouldn't shorten the gun down much.

As far as the sight goes, i wanted a c-more so less mag capacity.

Maybe a slide mounted docter sight .........

It does help some.......not a lot but some. It depends on the right bullet/powder combo. I have not shot a Modified with a hybrid barrel though so I can't compare them.

Edited by jasmap

Thanks for posting that James. I just told Johnny to build me one...now I know how it's going to look like :cheers:

I see more and more shooters with a modified gun, even El Prez. Might get USPSA thinking.

Edited by norbs007

I have both...hybrid barrel and a comp'.

Does the job right. Easy to shoot. I shoot 9mm, 115g or 124g. I often use Winchester. The 115 usually gets me a 127 factor, pretty close :) As for 124g, I don't quite remember...maybe around 135?

post-4488-1222969547_thumb.jpg

While it's not IPSC or USPSA's stated purpose, personally, I find it neat that technological advances developed in IPSC/USPSA shooting have been further developed and adopted by some law enforcement and military forces. Modified Division encourages that sort of "practical" development.

Can you provide some examples of the law enforcement community further developing technology that we use? I am curious about this as I see allot of law enforcement come to the range and struggle shooting on the public line - not a flame - just an observation - We have great competitors shooting our sport in law enforcement but the truth is most of them do not put allot of time and effort into shooting their duty guns.

Sorry for the thread drift - you can move this one if you like.

The "further developed" was more for military stuff...Eotechs with special features and some other things. However, while on 6th St. in Austin, I did notice that one of the officers walking around was carrying an STI Eagle and I've seen C-Mores and Eotechs mounted on AR-15s and M-4s.

Shooting this beast in Bali, 19 in the mag somewhat reloadable.........

post-1493-1222965080_thumb.jpgpost-1493-1222965152_thumb.jpg

post-1493-1222965213_thumb.jpgpost-1493-1222965476_thumb.jpg

WOW! Cool looking gun but James, wasn't it you who so famously said, "modified is the worst of both open and limited" :lol:

I'm sitting here thinking...

Could you fit a cmore on a barry mount in the box? how much grinding on the scope/mount would need to be done? More importantly could you pull off what Jojo did and get a full 140 mag in the pistol?

Could you fit a cmore on a barry mount in the box?

No. The mount is far too wide.

More importantly could you pull off what Jojo did and get a full 140 mag in the pistol?

If IPSC passes that reload rule on long courses, mag length wouldn't matter anymore!

Edited by Matt Cheely

WOW! Cool looking gun but James, wasn't it you who so famously said, "modified is the worst of both open and limited" :lol:

Haven't changed my mind one bit :devil:

Of course after shooting this little fireplug, my open gun feels more the powder puff gun that it is.

When I start feeling better from having my wisdom teeth removed at 36 ill post some wonderful pictures of the Modified Blaster Matt did for me. Its a blast to shoot, just have so much going on i haven't shot it much lately. I also have a CZ Modified I picked up from a fellow Bernos member.

leo

• 7 months later...
I would consider playing in Modified if we had it as a regular division in the US... something cool about the innovation and all... But, basically, you're shooting the worst of both worlds in terms of recoil, capacity, etc... :D

I know you said this last year Dave but I just looked at this again and I agree. I agree that it's the worst of both with capacity, recoil, etc... But I also think that's the fun in finding ways to overcome the "downfalls".

I wish we had Modified as well. I'd love to play around with it.

Edited by jasmap