Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Epic stage F-ups

bigbrowndog

I just read a post about someone that was pulling on a door that was supposed to be pushed on a stage, and it reminded me of my most recent funny stage disaster. So I figured lots of people have probably done this and some of them are pretty well known shooters, one in particular is a close friend that had momentary loss of focus at RM3G, but I'll let him share that one.

Mine was at DPMS trigun 2008, There were 2 pistol stages that were "somewhat" similar, they both had pistols and they were side by side, one had you shooting thru ports, openings and doors and one had you opening ports and shooting thru them. well just prior to shooting the first one and not really looking that closely at it because it was pretty simple. I was asked to do an interview for NRA Television, because they were focusing on HM and thats the division I was shooting, well with all the shooting the interview took a little longer than planned, and I was not able to get another look at the stage before shooting it. NRA/TV asked if I would mind if they filmed the run, what are you supposed to say, NO!!!

The buzzer goes off, I shoot some targets in a dark room with the aid of a surefire light, then proceed to a wall with a door and ports, the problem is that there are ports with rubber sheeting across them, I proceed to push open the "closed port" and it won't open, so I punch it REALLY hard, .............Hey, it opens only I can see 12 targets and as I recall you were only supposed to see 6, and then another 6 from another port?????????????? Oh, well shoot what you can see and keep going. finish the stage and then it hits me. this isn't the stage that required you to open the ports and how come I didn't have to shoot thru that door over there. Did I mention NRA/TV was filming this run, #$%&@$%&*!!!!!

Luckily a ruling was made and I was allowed to reshoot the stage, ..................I still fu@#$ed it up. Just not nearly as bad. I was able to redeem myself later on at a shotgun only stage, they filmed that run also, but I'm willing to bet the one that gets aired will be the pistol stage.

So come on, I know there are stages you'd like to forget, but your friends won't let you.................................

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Limited Nationals. Last stage of the first day I was the last shooter on stage 18. My rear sight adjust screw sheared off and for the last array my rear sight is bouncing around like a church fan from the hinge pin. This resulted in a slight aiming error on my part and I put two rounds through the rail supporting the formerly moving targets. Okay, my gun and the stage gets fixed and I am to reshoot the next day.

Next morning I am chatting with staff, photographers, RO's until it is time to shoot. Study the stage? Visualize? Naw, I shot it quite well yesterday except for the gun and the stage breaking....

So I blow past two targets and earn two failure to engage penalties to go along with the 4 mikes. Want to know what I took away from Nationals....?

:D

Chuck I was thinking stage not match. I've had some bad stages but most of the matches were OK., besides it says "so others may learn" I don't want anyone to learn from that I want someone to screw up worse than me.

thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

True be told, he meant to shoot it that way. He saw the two shooters ahead of him "game" the stage and get busted for it, so he figured he needed a way to game it also. Sorry Trapr, I know you are a mercenary out prize hunting, but hey don't worry everyone loves :wub: firemen- so your good. :P

At a local IDPA match there was a stage where you started out by flipping a card to see which set of targets you shot (or didn’t shoot, I can’t remember now). The other group became non-threat targets. I watched a guy shoot the wrong set of targets. I think with all of the hits on non-threats, misses, and FTNs he was over 100 points down for the stage.

At a local IDPA match there was a stage where you started out by flipping a card to see which set of targets you shot (or didn’t shoot, I can’t remember now). The other group became non-threat targets. I watched a guy shoot the wrong set of targets. I think with all of the hits on non-threats, misses, and FTNs he was over 100 points down for the stage.

I shot a similar stage here at a club match, I thought it was the stupidest thing I had ever seen for a stage and got mad. It was two rounds freestyle, two rounds strong hand and two rounds weak hand. There were 4 targets with no shoots in between and I was only supposed to shoot two with letters that matched the cards I pulled. I flipped the cards and pulled my gun , at that point I realized I had NO idea what targets were shoots and which ones weren't so I shot them ALL, even the good guys, twice on EACH string. Oh, it was virginia count too. Good thing our scoring stops at zero.....

Chuck I was thinking stage not match. I've had some bad stages but most of the matches were OK., besides it says "so others may learn" I don't want anyone to learn from that I want someone to screw up worse than me.

thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

trapr

CONTACT !

I'll play along... At a sectional match last year, if would have shoot a decent score on the last stage I might have won my class. It was a pretty straight forward long course, start with hands on a wall and engage as visible. I load up, holster my blaster, the timer goes off, I draw, pull the trigger once only to see my mag dropping to the ground. :ph34r:

Guy shot himself at a major police sniper match a few years ago.

They had a pistol stage and he borrowed a H&K P-7 because he was unable to bring his own pistol.

When he went to holster it he accidentally shot himself in the thigh. It exited his thigh and went into his calf.

He gave a little hop and continued the course of fire until a guy who was there from US Army SF said "Is anyone going to stop this guy before he bleeds to death? Hes bleeding all over the range."

And no the guy was not me.

JK

Guy shot himself at a major police sniper match a few years ago.

They had a pistol stage and he borrowed a H&K P-7 because he was unable to bring his own pistol.

When he went to holster it he accidentally shot himself in the thigh. It exited his thigh and went into his calf.

He gave a little hop and continued the course of fire until a guy who was there from US Army SF said "Is anyone going to stop this guy before he bleeds to death? Hes bleeding all over the range."

And no the guy was not me.

JK

He was dedicated anyway. :surprise:

The fact that he continued was what caused the delayed response to it.

Everyone that was watching sort of collectively did a "Did I really see what I thought I just saw?"

Thank God one guy there was watching and saw the blood trail.

He was admired for his toughness but not so much for his gun handling skills.

JK

The fact that he continued was what caused the delayed response to it.

Everyone that was watching sort of collectively did a "Did I really see what I thought I just saw?"

Thank God one guy there was watching and saw the blood trail.

JK

He was prob in shock... never go into battle with an unproven weapon.

R & R racing multigun in july-they had a breaching door that is spring loaded to open once you shoot out a 1x2" piece of wood. never shot one before and i get called 1st. beep...run to door and shoot at stick, multiple times. i'm watching the parralax with the doctor above my 1100 and i'm hitting the stick every time. i see nice perfect holes going thru the damn thing. for a minute, i'm thinking i loaded slugs by accident. then, i realize i'm way too close. back up a few paces, and the pattern opens up enuf to get the door open. took me 7 shots! i don't fee bad cause my buddy witnessed my misery and then proceeded to empty his shotgun just to open the door!

Edited by outerlimits

My ultimate Stage F-Up occured at the L-10 Nationals in Barry. I was among other things Squad Secratary charged with keeping hte sheets in order as well as the designated Videographer. I shot my previous stage, we moved to the next. I was busy with sheets and video. Had stuffed my empty mags back on my belt.

Go to the line, LAMR. fine, front mag and last mag are full. So is the one in my pocket. SO I have 11 rounds in the gun and two loaded mags on my belt, # 4 & 5. Positions 1, 2 & 3 are filled with empty mags. The start was facing off to the left and there were a couple steel, A drop turner and a couple static. Call it 8 rounds. One of the steel activated both a single slider and a double slider.

My squad was in hysterics watching as magazines were tossed over my shoulder till I got to one with bullets. Of course by that time the 30 available points had slide out of sight. Sadly I do have this on video somewhere.

Lesson learned. NEVER put an unready magazine back on your belt no matter what. Either bag them or load them, but less than properly filled mags just do not go on the belt!

Other than that most stage I shoot are pretty well f'd up as anyone that sees me shoot knows.

Almost a year ago no less...here's an epic failure that I had at the Monday matches that Miamisburg has:

th_DSCN1371.jpg

I have a tirent of a prof here at school on Mondays, and unless I can find a body double (can someone else really be that goofy looking??) I will miss many of those matches -_-

These are just a few of the things I've seen, actually witnessed GOOD shooters do. I'll leave names off to protect their dignity.

One guy has a ramming door to open, pistol in holster, battering ram at ready, buzzer goes off, he starts his swng and catches the belt with his arm or the ram I can't remember, but it doesn't have the little security strap attached and the whole rig drops to his feet.

One guy, has shot a LR stage with rifle that had a 500+ yard target, the day before. And puts his rifle away for the day, next day he starts on a LR rifle stage, and his spotters are calling his hits on a 400 yardish target, HIGH, WAY HIGH, 2ft HIGH, then he realizes, "I still have my 500yd correction dialed into the rifle"

One guy, shoots his rifle on a rifle/pistol stage, runs over to dispose of it and leaves a trail of mags, then takes off running for the pistol targets, and the trail continues. When he gets to his first pistol target he realizes that he has JUST enough ammo to finish the stage "IF" he slows down and doesn't miss, so guess what..........He proceeds to blast away at close targets and start missing, the RO tells him if you want more ammo I picked up some of your mags!!!!!!!!, I believe his reply was, "Oh thank you,.... Jesus!!!!!

Another guy was shooting a 5 round Steel Challenge stage, that had movement, 2 shots from one location and 3 shots from the last. The shooter had a SS 38 super, I think. Anyway he had 10 rounds at his disposal. From position one he had to do a mag change to get his 2 hits, and then proceeded to use the remaining 7 or 8 rounds for his last 3 hits. He was giving commentary on his pistol prowess after he went to slide lock from the first mag.

Some of these shooters are very well known, so someday you to may be able to shoot as good as these guys!!!!!!!

The phrase that seems to accompany these stage mishaps, is one coined by Benny Hill, "the only thing missing was Caliope music"

Trapr

The phrase that seems to accompany these stage mishaps, is one coined by Benny Hill, "the only thing missing was Caliope music"

Trapr

That's pretty funny, at the company I left a few months ago we used to always say "cue the clown music" which is along the same lines.

Best quote ever, I laughed my ass off at that.

Scott

Agreed, I laughed out loud in the office when I read that earlier. That's definitely signature line material..... :roflol:

Many years ago at a Kentucky State match there was a stage that you started bound up by a bungy cord. You had to unbind yourself, pick up a stick and hit a dummy on the head breaking the clay pigeon on his head. I proceeded to smoke the stage. Jerry, the RO, said I have some good news and bad news. You had the fastest time of the match. Bad news was you forgot to hit the dummy on the head and get 1 procedural per shot fired. That was 24 procedural's. Zeroed a 120 point stage and lost the match by about 40 points.

I had a pretty good one a couple of matches ago... somehow I left my head at home We had to shoot like four from a box... I put one on each and started to take off. I put the brakes on and actually cocked my head to the side like a dog... shook the webs out and put another one on each. Why I thought those targets only needed one round is beyond me. lmao There were more than a few chuckles that day. I guess maybe I've been shooting to much steel. heheheh

Edited by JThompson