Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long vs. Short Dustcover - any difference?

STI2011

Sorry if this is a stupid question but, here goes... In a limited gun, specifically a 2011, does it make any difference if you have a long dustcover versus a short dustcover? What are the advantages\disadvantages of each?

Thanks

Huge difference in the way the gun balances and moves. Some people like short and some people like long, see if you can shoot both and see which one fits you. There really isn't a right and a wrong choice, only a right and wrong choice for each individual.

I've been trying out different guns for just this reason. For me the full dust cover

greatly reduces felt recoil and flip but is harder to stop in fast transitions and I dont

like the way it tracks. For me the short cover guns track much better. Since I have

a long cover gun I've been trying different springs to change the feel...

No. No difference. :)

One just has a bit more weight to it and the weight is out front.

Five years ago, everybody just HAD to have a long dust cover gun. Now, the hot thing is going to a short dust cover. Tomorrow...who knows?

Pick one and practice.

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I don't know which one works better for me yet. I've been shooting Glocks for quite a while now and decided to move into a 2011 after my CCF raceframe project went bust and I decided to try out a friend's STI TruSight - and kinda liked it.

So, after waiting 6 weeks for my gunbuilder to start on my long dustcover gun (he still doesn't have any of the parts) and with a long wait still ahead of me, I decided that I didn't want to wait any longer and decided to go with a different gun that was already built and ready to go. The new gun has a short dustcover. With my luck, I'll probably find out that a long dustcover would have been better for me. Either way, I'll just try to enjoy the new blaster.

Edited by glockman2000

I don't really think that most people can tell the difference with transitions between the two. Most open class pistols put a lot more weight out front and that, to me, is barely noticable in practice (between SV open and my para lim) and I doubt I would notice it at all in a match. The para is a much heavier frame though and that may be why I do not really feel it.

(edited because I can not spell)

Edited by BBoyle

I noticed a huge difference when I went from a glock35 with a tungston guiderod and a brass magwell to an edge, so I would think you would prefer less weight. Felt like swinging a 2x4 in wide transitions. Just throwing that out there....

Edited to add that I did shoot better with the edge though.

Edited by Rocket35

I could shoot better with my G23 (production) than I could my Edge. Took some time to anylize why, then I swapped limited guns to a short dust cover, light slide 2011.

I like the COG to be at my hand, not the front sight.

The benefit of the LDC is that you can do more with it during the build process. Stroke it, mill it, groove it or remove it.

I decided based on a lot of input here to build a short dust cover, wide frame 2011. Should be done next week. The slide has been internally lightened and I got the smith to do 2 barrels (bull and bushing). Additionally, I did 2 guide rods (steel and tungsten -- I can always tig with the tungsten if I don't like it!) and 2 magwells. Sounds like a lot of extra, but basically for $400 I got an IDPA ESP gun, a Limited gun, and plenty of flexibility for tuning it to my liking on weight.

I'm about like a kid in a candy store...

Shoot both on the timer. Decide based on data. Neither will feel "right" immediately, but in all likelihood one will suit you better in terms of score.

Realize you also have the choice of short/wide dustcover, which puts you slightly heavier than short, but the weight is back towards your hands more...

As most of the previous post imply; preference has a lot to do with it. Both styles are very shootable, practice and a timer will let you know whats right for you. For me I have an Eagle, and a Tactical lite (aluminum frame). Since I carry a single stack on the job and most of my practice over 17 years has been with a regular govt model, I found I really disliked the Edge... felt like swinging a brick... I still shot it well, but my brain always felt like it was "too heavy", so for me the problem was between the ears, so I stick to lighter rather than heavier.

I will add to the IDEA that if you play both gun games IDPA and USPSA the short gun is the way to go.... I have short gun that I love yanking chains with when i go shoot IDPA with. It works great for both games and think as a beginner it is the way be able to have the same sight picture in both games and grip is the same.

But as it was said get the gun and practice...

• 1 year later...

i like the idea of shooting the two for score to see which is better to start, but where do you go to do this? i dont know anybody or anywhere i can test both.

do i just go with the short and just add the tungsten rod like noted in an earlier post

any ideas?

i like the idea of shooting the two for score to see which is better to start, but where do you go to do this? i dont know anybody or anywhere i can test both.

do i just go with the short and just add the tungsten rod like noted in an earlier post

any ideas?

Your best bet is at the local club(s). Most folks will let you try their guns and at most matches you'll probably see both setups. Let folks know you're trying to decide between the two and folks with each will find you and help you out. R,

Edit to add: if you're going to use any of the well known smiths talk to them and see if they will be at a bigger match where you can meet them and try a couple of their guns. It would definitely be worth the trip.

Edited by G-ManBart

thanks g-man. ill look into that

sandro, good info. i read the light vs heavy. and was wondering if everybody on here has noticed the trend of the professionals going with the short dust cover for their limited guns?

thanks g-man. ill look into that

sandro, good info. i read the light vs heavy. and was wondering if everybody on here has noticed the trend of the professionals going with the short dust cover for their limited guns?

It is personal preference. Light for people that can handle recoil, heavy if recoil is a problem.

I also started with and am still using Glocks. I went with the full dust cover STI, but after a short time I liked the lighter gun feel and took a hacksaw to it. It is also less trying on the joints if you have/had any elbow pain.

Great advice here. You have to find what feels good for you. Or you go with your instinct and adapt to what you purchase.

A very wise and respected gunsmith and I recently had an interesting phone conversation over this very topic as I inquired about the weight and length of a particular open gun, tungsten guide rods, heavy magwells, etc. etc..

He asked me "if you were to go on a long trip, would you rather drive a Cadillac or a Ferrari?" I answered a Cadillac.

He then asked "if you were to go a short distance?" Of course I said a Ferrari.

He then added "so how would you classify USPSA"? ;)

Edited by Bigpops

Huge difference in the way the gun balances and moves. Some people like short and some people like long, see if you can shoot both and see which one fits you. There really isn't a right and a wrong choice, only a right and wrong choice for each individual.

Perfect answer.

be

Shoot both on the timer. Decide based on data. Neither will feel "right" immediately, but in all likelihood one will suit you better in terms of score.

Realize you also have the choice of short/wide dustcover, which puts you slightly heavier than short, but the weight is back towards your hands more...

Glad you pointed that out Dave. A lot of folks don't know about the options. There is a HUGE difference in the "Eagle" dust cover and the "Edge". I found I did not like the Eagle, I over swung the targets, yet the Edge was a little heavy and slow. I went with something in the middle, a medium heavy if you will, and it made a big difference for me. I took the long/wide dust cover and cut it shorter, not quite traditional short though. It moves exactly like I want it to. Even cutting the long/wide dust cover down to traditional length would be heavier than the Eagle. I also found out while springing the now lightened gun that I liked the feel and tracking of the recoil master spring system. As much as I did not want to use one, I was unable to duplicate the feel and timing with a traditional guide rod and spring. So that's what I'm using in my gun, and I keep a back up. Try several options, you can always take weight off, and in some cases you can add it back. I like less reciprocating mass in my slide, so I lighten them. For me, it makes the gun cycle smoother and I can find a spring combo I like for that set-up.