Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Nationals Coverage - Old School

Bucky

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Bob and TT!!! Nice work guys.

I'll be off the internet until Monday, so good luck to everyone who's still battling it out. Especially my buddy Henning! He actually practiced a little bit for the match!!!

be

This was my first Nationals, and I have to say, I had a great time. The things I learned (shooting Production) were:

It's not as stressful as I had thought. The most stressful part was everything leading up to it. Once I was on the range, at the right place, at the right time, the feelings of being at a "regular" match starting to kick in. The fact that my squad mates were (mostly) normal, nice guys helped as well. So while my nervousness was heightened, I don't think it had a negative effect on my match.

Having a thin, crisp front site is important - especially for steel. The built-in white dot front site on my old EAA Witness is a disaster. The edges and top are a bit soft from so much holster wear. On the far away poppers I couldn't hit squat quickly because my front site was too fat, soft, and white.

My stage finishes were as high as 39 and as low as 123 (ouch). The ability to do well is clearly there, but only practice and serious attention will bring it out.

You need to be a B class shooter to win C.

ROing is hard work. Spending from 1 to 3 days running a stage must be exhausting. I didn't know how to show my appreciation while I was out there besides helping out with stage duties and generally not being an a-hole if something didn't go right.

Shooting while moving is key. This will be one of the first optimizations I'll work on.

Bring a chair.

I met Rob Leatham and Dave Thomas. Dave is really nice and I'm glad my family got to meet him. Same for Rob (but he looks older than I remember from the 90s :) )

Crazy moving props you never get to see at the local level were not as hard as I expected. I found that all the movers, bobbers, turners, clam-shells, etc. were set up in such a way that you could hit the activator, index to the target, and then wait for the prop to do its thing. If you're a sub-B shooter or not fast in moving from target to target, this should give you some relief. I found that I could generally hit the activator, go take care of some other targets, and comfortably come back to the mover. The trick was in estimating how much you could take care of.

Don't mess with the stats lady.

The days of the big goodie bags and free stuff are gone? I was last active in the sport in the 90's and I seem to remember getting bags of free cleaning supplies and other merchandise when going to bigger matches. Not sure if that's the case anymore, but I miss trying all those new cleaning and lube products.

Finally, does anyone know the website for the people who were doing the photos on Stage 18? I'd like to check out my squad's pictures.

Anyway, great time, great range, nice folks, good weather (if you shot PM-AM-PM) and no hassles to speak of.

btw, does anyone know what happened to Robert R in the LPR match?

Poor Rob was called for a 180 on the bridge, tried to pickup a miss because of a n/s thru the fencing while he was turning to engage the bober....he was doing super till then.

michaels

From Bob's website: http://www.watchtv.net/~vogelshootist/

USPSA Production/IDPA SSP&ESP

Glock 34 Sevigny Competition sights (FO front); 147gr Precision bullets loaded to 135PF; Kytac holster; Kytac (IDPA) and CR Speed (USPSA) mag pouches.

USPSA Limited/Limited 10

Glock 24 Seattle Slug Plug; Sevigny Competition sights (FO front); Arredondo basepads; 185gr Precision bullets loaded to 170PF; Kytac holster and CR Speed mag pouches.

USPSA Open Class

Glock 17 KKM barrel; SJC Major Compensator; J-point/Doctor slide mounted optics; Dawson Ice Magwell; 115/125gr Precision bullets; Taylor Freelance & Arredondo basepads; CR Speed holster and mag pouches.

Does anyone know what powder Vogel is using with the precision bullets?

Law Enforcement Use

Sig Pro 2340 (Department issue) 40cal; 180gr Speer Gold Dots

Glock 22 40cal; Back-up, Off duty & SRT pistol; Warren Tactical NS; 135gr Corbon Powerballs

S & W 340 PD 357 Magnum; Back-up & Off duty; 125gr Hornady XTPs

Way to Go Bob!!!!! :cheers:

Does anyone know what powder Vogel is using for the precision bullets?

Edited by tk4

Poor Rob was called for a 180 on the bridge, tried to pickup a miss because of a n/s thru the fencing while he was turning to engage the bober....he was doing super till then.

michaels

Yeah.....it was unfortunate to happen at the Nats but he took it like a man. It was very close. We got it on video and replayed it a hundred times. It was definitely a close call but none the less it will eventually happen to everyone no matter how good you are. You know the saying about two kinds of shooters--- those who have and those who will DQ.

He was definitely on fire. Easily in the mix for a top five finish. His goal is to win the Multigun Nats. Thats really where his heart is.

Does anyone know who the current leaders are in the L10 match?

Super squad is shooting this afternoon. Probably won't know anything till they finish around 7:30 PM tonight. Looked like Dave was in the lead yesterday.

How's this for stats?

Rob stayed at the same Holiday Inn I did. He was on the same floor(2nd). His room was next to me and my wife's. I DQ ed on the same stage. The same part(on the bridge) of the stage. And it sounds like we both were attempting to make up a shot on the same target!! Exception, my DQ was for a negligent discharge........crazy huh?

That will be the last time I stay at a Holiday Inn. :-)

Edited by dirty whiteboy

Michael S. started out in revolver division. He either went sub-minor, or was using an 8-shooter and fired too many shots between reloads.
A GLOCK plug is legal now, as long as it is flush fit. I put mine in the day I read of the ruling. I hope nothing has changed.

One went sub minor (I know him). The other's plug was not flush (He was on my squad).

Mikey is already getting great mileage out of being the LPR Open Champion... :D

Edited by kevin c

I wouldn't call it an upset, Bob has been knocking on the door pretty hard. I just shot the Ohio state IDPA match with him a few weeks ago and I told him it was his year. I don't know who is more excited him or me !! Knowing Bob, I am sure he is cool, calm and collected as always !!

CONGRATS BOB!!!!

+1 on the Congrats!!!!!

I wonder if Bob smiled when he won? I doubt it.

When Chuck Norris goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Bob Vogel.

Trust me if you knew Bob like I do, he was smiling