Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm upper for AR15?

waynewal

Have a couple extra AR15 uppers. Want to build an upper in 9mm for some indoor range shooting for a carbine course.

What do i need ? Or am I biting off more than i can chew? Should I just buy an upper? (and mag conersion, etc?)

Is there a cheaper, reliable 'carbine' in 9mm that works really well instead?

Thanks!

Wayne

Have a couple extra AR15 uppers. Want to build an upper in 9mm for some indoor range shooting for a carbine course.

What do i need ? Or am I biting off more than i can chew? Should I just buy an upper? (and mag conersion, etc?)

Thanks!

Wayne

9mms are incredibly fun, imo. Not for serious use or 3-gun but just fun. I SBRd mine (5" barrel) and put a can on it (I guess that's what makes it so fun).

They're very easy to build. No gas system required, straight blow-back. [edit to add:] You just need basic AR tools such as barrel wrench, vice block.

In your lower you're lower will need a heavier buffer and a 9mm hammer (or M16 hammer w/ the auto-sear hook ground off or a dpms AR hammer.. just can't have the "safety catch" on the hammer face) and a mag block. Lots of mag blocks to choose from.

-rvb

my 9mm AR:

mix of parts, lots of RRA 9mm parts, Colt 1-pc mag well, barrel is RRA cut down to 5" by Randal at AR15barrels.com, DD handguards (only thing big enough to to mount the silencer back that far).

post-6093-1220816965_thumb.jpg

Edited by rvb

My first preference would be the 9mm AR platform, but you asked if there were other 9mm that would perform. The Beretta Storm can be picked up for almost the same cost as an AR upper in 9mm. They are very reliable and fairly accurate. Only downside I ever saw was the trigger pull a little heavy and not easily tunable. Other than that it was a good gun .

I built up a DPMS lower and a RR 9mm upper w/ a RR coversion kit. It was as simple as replacing the buffer spring and buffer, replacing the hammer, installing a mag block (all of which came with the RR conversion kit), and putting the RR upper on the lower.

I bought the complete upper, the conversion kit, and a big stick 9mm Colt mag on gunbroker for $600, mated it to the DPMS complete lower I picked up at a gun show for under $200; which was quite a bit cheaper than a complete 9mm rifle with no wait......

My Oly 9mm upper is great. Oly has a questionable reputation for other products, but their 9mm have a good reputation and do not require special hammers, buffers, etc.

RVB - what kind of can is on yours and how do you like it?

Thanks for all the replies. Debating on buying the Oly uppper... avoids the extra work....

'Cans' - am in Illinois, land of the "I hate guns and anything else for firearms' politicians. So the silencer is out.

Thanks everyone!

Wayne

RVB - what kind of can is on yours and how do you like it?

AAC "Phantom". Now discontinued. Love it. Very quiet. I always shoot it dry as it seems all the sound is from the action and don't see a need to shoot it wet. Works well on my Beretta 92, also.

-rvb

Thanks for all the replies. Debating on buying the Oly uppper... avoids the extra work....

Been a while since I've looked at oly stuff, but iirc (and that's a big *IF* I recall the way my memory is) they use a totally different ejection system and the regular RRA/Hahn/Colt mag block will not work with them. I know at least one manufacturer was not compatible with the standard Colt setup most use and I think Oly is that maker so a little research may be in order for you.

just fyi.

ETA: sounds like chp5 has some experience w/ the oly's and can either tell you I'm bonkers or give you the scoop on what you need.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Been a while since I've looked at oly stuff, but iirc (and that's a big *IF* I recall the way my memory is) they use a totally different ejection system and the regular RRA/Hahn/Colt mag block will not work with them.

-rvb

I have a Hahn mag block for my Oly - not sure if its the standard or specific to the Oly. It uses Sten mags which are cheap, plentiful and reliable. You just need to grind off the little tabs on the side.

Been a while since I've looked at oly stuff, but iirc (and that's a big *IF* I recall the way my memory is) they use a totally different ejection system and the regular RRA/Hahn/Colt mag block will not work with them.

-rvb

I have a Hahn mag block for my Oly - not sure if its the standard or specific to the Oly. It uses Sten mags which are cheap, plentiful and reliable. You just need to grind off the little tabs on the side.

I just checked brownells and the oly mag block is different.

Oly:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...ZINE%20ADAPTERS

Regular Colt-style:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...VERSION%20BLOCK

eta: found this while searching around (searching through brownells is usually dangerous!)

complete lower 9mm conversion:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/Pro...ONVERSION%20KIT

-rvb

Edited by rvb

My first preference would be the 9mm AR platform, but you asked if there were other 9mm that would perform. The Beretta Storm can be picked up for almost the same cost as an AR upper in 9mm. They are very reliable and fairly accurate. Only downside I ever saw was the trigger pull a little heavy and not easily tunable. Other than that it was a good gun .

You can tune a storm trigger quite easily most folks on the Beretta forum do it. I went with the storm because I can use my 92 mags with it. If need be I can put my 32 rd mag for my storm in my pistol.

my 9mm AR:

mix of parts, lots of RRA 9mm parts, Colt 1-pc mag well, barrel is RRA cut down to 5" by Randal at AR15barrels.com, DD handguards (only thing big enough to to mount the silencer back that far).

post-6093-1220816965_thumb.jpg

(Drooling!!! Thanks!!!! Great Pic)

Wayne

The cool thing, for me, anyway for going with the AR platform is that your choices are almost limitless as to what you can do with the gun.

You can take your standard AR lower and make everything from a 6.8 setup to a 9mm setup and everything in between...

Long range, short range, whatever.

Kinda hard to beat the available options with an AR.

I went the RRA complete gun route and would recommend it to anyone thinking about getting a 9mm carbine. It is only about $300 more than what a Storm costs. I did wait 3 months for it but it was worth it. You may be able to find one on gun broker that you can get sooner.

I had thought about the Storm and they are good guns but I shoot ARs so I that appealed to my logical side. I love shooting mine and if you reload you can get some higher velocity loads that will let you reach out a little past 100 yards with no problem. I try to shoot all our local 3gun matches with mine because the ammo is a third of the cost and at 100 yards and closer you aren't going to give up very much if anything to the competition.

It is a great dilemma to have keep us posted on what you decide.

I started this same project in the spring by ordering a couple of extra Lowers Planning one for a new 3 gun project and one for 9mm practice Gun. By the time I did the math even before Labor found the Bushmaster dedicated 9mm complete rifle was about 90.00 less and ready to shoot when you open the box.

I have been very pleased after 3 months and 2200 rounds not one jam and more accurate than I expected

about 2in @ 50 yards with only a red dot. I am sure it would be better with a std crosshair.

and new dedicated not converted mags are 25.00 ea,

Call if I can answer any other ????

SWandME

715-367-1144

RRA/Colt and soon CH products type 9mm conversions all use Modifed UZI mag types. CH products new magazines that hold the bolt open on last shot can be found for 20+S/H.

Only Factory Oly 9mm I ever saw used Sten magazines that needed a bracket welded onto the back of the magazine, and they were a PIA to reload.

Only Factory Oly 9mm I ever saw used Sten magazines that needed a bracket welded onto the back of the magazine, and they were a PIA to reload.

You can use those mags or a Hahn mag block and regular Sten mags.

• 4 weeks later...

I vote RRA. I have one set up just like my 3-gun match rifle (forend, grip, optic, sling etc) and it is great for practice - ammo is cheaper ahd you can shoot it in places and at targets where rifle caliber is not allowed or not a good idea.

Not real fond of the plastic Pro Mags, seem prone to speed unloads for me. The 25 rounder that came with the RRA works fine, but no last round bolt hold open feature. These can also be had from Brownells. I'm not exactly a Colt fan, but for me the Colt mags seem to perform best.

I used to have a 9mm AR upper. I sold it and got a complete Storm for about the cost of the upper. I love the storm. The gun is 100% reliable and is very ergonomic and extremely comfortable to shoot. As an added bonus, it reloads just like a pistol - quicker than an AR (at least for me). I have heard people complain about triggers. I do not have a problem with mine. It is a bit heavier than AR, but very manageable.

Thanks!

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

RRA 9mm upper, Heavy Buffer, VM-Hytech block, and Un-modifed uzi mags is all you need. That is the set-up I have. It runs with the 1.5lb Jard trigger I have it and all I have to do to switch uppers is pull the pins, drop the mag-block (using the standard mag release) and switch uppers. I even leave the heavy buffer in it and have had no problems.