Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Large online retailer shooters bag return

forthill

I contacted [a large online dealer] about a problem with one of their shooter bags. The shoulder strap when put together had the strap twisted as the strap passed through one of the end hooks. I asked if they could replace the strap. They informed me, I would have to return the entire bag for replacement. I asked if I could just send the strap since this was the only problem. I was informed no I would have to return the entire bag. Although the service is not bad, it seems a waste to return the entire bag and pay shipping on the entire bag if the strap is the only problem. It seems they will take care of the problem but not without some issues on my part. I vote for Chuck anda bag shooters supply and that is where i will go for a new bag nicer to deal with and still some common sense.

Forthill

Edited by jhgtyre
Let's not be naming names...that makes it industry bashing and that is not allowed.

Hello: That is dumb. I broke a strap on a I-Shot bag I had and they sent me a new strap right away. I vote for Shooters Connection bags as well. Now if we can get Chuck to design a backpack :cheers: I am thinking of getting a backpack and using it and modifying it to suit me. Who is going to pay shipping for your [other] bag? Thanks, Eric

I asked if they could replace the strap. They informed me, I would have to return the entire bag for replacement. I asked if I could just send the strap since this was the only problem. I was informed no I would have to return the entire bag.

It makes sense if you understand how the business operates.

If you are big enough in your market segment (Walmart, Brownells, Midway) you can dictate a standard set of terms suppliers must agree to if they want to sell through you. One common term in the firearms accessories retail business is the unconditional right of return for refund or credit. If Brownell's (an example whose terms I am familiar with; I assume Midway is similar) accepts it as a return, the seller MUST take it back and give Brownell's full credit. It is not uncommon for the manufacturer to get products back that have been abused; gun parts that were improperly smithed; etc. - and they have no choice but to refund the wholesaler or discontinue selling through that vendor.

My guess is that the [their] standard terms include such a "unconditional return clause", but do not have a provision for maintaining an inventory of spare straps in the warehouse to take care of situations like yours.

Edited by kimel
Removed reference to specific supplier.

There's some good info here folks BUT industry bashing is against the rules. Got a problem with a company? Take it up directly with them. This forum is about shooting and the gear for shooting. It isn't for airing complaints where there is no opportunity for the other party to respond.

Thanks for keeping it clean.

Kevin - Moderator

People, be careful what you wish for, If Chuck designed a backpack the size of his tournament bag or bigger then you are talking about something that could hold 50-60 pounds. As someone who has had to hump a 60-75 pound backpack let me tell you it is not easy to get on and off. That is why I went to a 3 wheel baby stroller so I could push instead of carry.

Hello: A small backpack should work if it is designed well. I have been looking at backpacks made by Roots,Oakley, LL Bean, Adidas and Under Armour. I picked these to start since they are available but will have to look at them up close. I am going to try a backpack this weekend to see how I like it. I think for me it will work fine. My only concern is getting at the ammo boxes easily. Maybe we should start a seperate thread on this? Thanks, Eric

People, be careful what you wish for, If Chuck designed a backpack the size of his tournament bag or bigger then you are talking about something that could hold 50-60 pounds. As someone who has had to hump a 60-75 pound backpack let me tell you it is not easy to get on and off. That is why I went to a 3 wheel baby stroller so I could push instead of carry.

LOL, Yeah I hear that!

I want a quality back pack that I can take to locals though. I typically don't need a full kit with me, just ammo, mags, belt, and a back up gun if needed. When I go to majors I take my 3 gun cart and the big sack!

Hello: A small backpack should work if it is designed well. I have been looking at backpacks made by Roots,Oakley, LL Bean, Adidas and Under Armour. I picked these to start since they are available but will have to look at them up close. I am going to try a backpack this weekend to see how I like it. I think for me it will work fine. My only concern is getting at the ammo boxes easily. Maybe we should start a seperate thread on this? Thanks, Eric

If you like the Oakley I am pretty sure I can get them. I know I can get the boots so I dont know why I couldn't get backpacks.

Let me know, I may look into it if I have time this weekend to cruise their web page.

AS I have said before I just dont think there is enough demand to do a backpack. I have to make so many of them and if I did come up with a good one then everybody else will just steel the design and make it cheaply to undersell you.

I didn't really see this as industry bashing since the poster mentioned he was being well taken care of, just expressed puzzlement as to why he had to send the entire bag back. If anything, the comment about the vendor was generally positive. My response explained why this practice is the norm at large retailers who resell products from multiple suppliers and, if this enlightenment was useful to the poster, an example of this forum serving one of its intended purposes of information sharing.

My name is Larry Weeks and I am the Public Relations Manager here at Brownells. Here at Brownells we don't get to dictate terms to the majority of our suppliers, we don't have the kind of influence WalMart does. Whether they take something back or not, WE will take it back. There's a whole set of shelves filled with things we can't return to manufacturers, because the product has been marked, cut, repainted or the company doesn't accept returns, or the cost of shipping back and forth is more than the profit margin - I get some great bargains there! If the "large online retailer" is us, I imagine the customer service person you talked to looked in the system and discovered that we don't offer the strap separately. That means there's no way for them to order it for you, all they can order is a complete bag, hence the request to get the whole bag back. If the bag is one of our brand, assuming we are "the large online retailer", we would want to make certain there is nothing else wrong with it that you might not have noticed. Again, if it is us, if the fault is ours, our policy is to refund your shipping charges, so while it is a bit more hassle to send a whole bag back, at least you wouldn't be out any money in the end.

My name is Larry Weeks and I am the Public Relations Manager here at Brownells. Here at Brownells we don't get to dictate terms to the majority of our suppliers, we don't have the kind of influence WalMart does. Whether they take something back or not, WE will take it back. There's a whole set of shelves filled with things we can't return to manufacturers, because the product has been marked, cut, repainted or the company doesn't accept returns, or the cost of shipping back and forth is more than the profit margin - I get some great bargains there! If the "large online retailer" is us, I imagine the customer service person you talked to looked in the system and discovered that we don't offer the strap separately. That means there's no way for them to order it for you, all they can order is a complete bag, hence the request to get the whole bag back. If the bag is one of our brand, assuming we are "the large online retailer", we would want to make certain there is nothing else wrong with it that you might not have noticed. Again, if it is us, if the fault is ours, our policy is to refund your shipping charges, so while it is a bit more hassle to send a whole bag back, at least you wouldn't be out any money in the end.

Larry... I think we met at Tri County some time back. If you need help clearing those returns from your shelves, I'd be happy to drive a trailer in there and facilitate the removal process. :D

I didn't really see this as industry bashing since the poster mentioned he was being well taken care of, just expressed puzzlement as to why he had to send the entire bag back. If anything, the comment about the vendor was generally positive. My response explained why this practice is the norm at large retailers who resell products from multiple suppliers and, if this enlightenment was useful to the poster, an example of this forum serving one of its intended purposes of information sharing.

I can rule out Chuck he had a new strap out to me within two days of having an issue.