Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting re-loads in a factory Glock barrel

TonyG35

I would like to start shooting re-loads from a quality ammo company but a little concerned from other topics found on the forum. I know there is a lot of info on this subject but thought a poll would be a good way to sum up the results from everyone. Not quite ready to re-load myself. If I ever get to that point I will probably buy an aftermarket barrel.

No pole......

I shoot 180gr CMJ, 40 cal reloads through my stock G35 barrel with no problems at all. The load chronos at a 170 power factor (IPSC limited). I have examined the cased the found nothing out of the ordinary with the cases....meaning the usual slight bulge from the unsupported portion of the case.

Edited by matt2ace

TonyG35. Welcome the the forum!

Glock barrels shoot carefully assembled reloads beautifully. So do aftermarket barrels like KKM and Bar-Sto. No barrel will fix mistakes. As mentioned, don't use bare lead bullets in your stock Glock barrel and you're good.

Jim

Your poll is posted.

Unless you are shooting lead cast bullets, needing a caliber conversion, or dropping in a barrel for comps/ports, there is really no reason to waste money on an aftermarket barrel. (And even the lead thing is debatable as some tell it)

I have been shooing my personal loads for some time now in my Glock without a single issue. So long as you load correctly, ie no squib loads or double charges, you are not going to blow up your gun. That being said, I have encountered some shooters that do not load responsibly, and have almost had catastrophic failures with squibs.

Do it right, save money, and have fun :)

I have been shooting my own reloads out of three different glocks with and without aftermarket barrels for a couple of years now. Don't waste a dime on an aftermarket barrel for reloads or any other ammo with FMJ's or JHP's. Many even get black bullets and lead to fly true with NO problems out of the OEM barrels. I have had some issues with leading and black bullets in my 9mm both OEM and aftermarket, just not enough pressure at low pf's. Use the money for ammo and gas.

My friends have shot a lot of Masters Blasters Bullets thru all of their glocks with no problems and no issues and this is with OEM barrels. If you look inside the barrel you'll notice that it has a shinny black color, I think (and please don't quote me on this) this is tennifer finish too.

I would like to start shooting re-loads from a quality ammo company...
You don't say who, but I've been shooting 9mm (147gr JHP) reloads from Atlanta Arms in matches recently and they shoot quite consistently - as good or better than anything I can make myself. And, they make a really satisfying "thump" when they hit the steel poppers - and kick up a lot of dirt when I miss ;)

I would like to start shooting re-loads from a quality ammo company...
You don't say who, but I've been shooting 9mm (147gr JHP) reloads from Atlanta Arms in matches recently and they shoot quite consistently - as good or better than anything I can make myself. And, they make a really satisfying "thump" when they hit the steel poppers - and kick up a lot of dirt when I miss ;)

Think I am convinced and going to try some of the 40 S&W T40180 Major Ammo from Atlanta Arms. Is anyone else shooting this ammo in their Glock with a factory barrel?

Think I am convinced and going to try some of the 40 S&W T40180 Major Ammo from Atlanta Arms. Is anyone else shooting this ammo in their Glock with a factory barrel?

Glock Factory Team does. They like it. ;)

shoot 'em up!

Jim

i've had 50 or so glocks and every one that i've fired has had my reloads in it, most never see factory ammo. i've had a few glocks i sold and never fired, even had one i traded before i ever seen it.

Here in Australia, we shoot lead handloads through our G17's & G34's all day long. (jacketed ammo is far too expensive & getting even more so) 125/135/145 grain proj. Good quality lead, no dodgy home made proj.

Some people have slight leading issues, most don't. Nothing a good clean after a days shooting can't fix.

Never shoot jacketed ammo through a barrel that's had lead through it, without a clean.

Cheers, Ando.

Edited by NOSAJ19

I guess I'll toss in my 2 cents! As you know, the official party line from Glock is use only factory jacketed ammunition. IMHO I think this is as much because there are too many lawyers in the world that will take ANY thing and argue ANY point they think will get them some money. Reloading MUST be done with care. Read directions and be sure you understand them. Get a chronograph and use it. Learn about pressure sign. Be conservative. OK there are the admonishments. I shoot lead cast bullets that I make from lead I recover from shooting ranges. Yes this has hazards. Not least among them is lead poisoning. Applying intelligence and applying the results of research carefully, manages hazards. I shoot a G21SF (.45ACP) with a factory barrel. IPSC power factor 170 for 225gr RN. I have NO leading problem. I will often run a thousand rounds between cleanings. Generally the higher the velocity of the round the stronger the alloy the bullet has to be made from. Hardness does not equal strength. There is excellent information on bullet strength and lubrication in the Lee Second Edition Reloading manual. Mr. Lee has been in the business for a LONG time and I have had excellent results with Lee bullet molds and techniques. If you want to buy bullets, check out Leadheads Bullets in St. John KS. There is a website for Leadheads and Tommy is an interesting guy. Read about his bullets and the alloy he uses. I have shot thousands of his slugs and they perform as advertised. The biggest problem with lead shows up in higher velocity cartridges like .40 S&W or .357 Sig. Any of these type should probably be gas checked or plated at least. The forces trying to take the bullet apart are ferocious! Hot propellants erode the bullet base and make the problem worse. If you pick a medium speed propellant, less heat, less erosion. When you hand load, PAY ATTENTION, double charges can blow up your blaster!! Squib loads will too, with surprising ferocity! There is excellent equipment out there and gizmos that will add safety to your operation. If I didn't hand load I don't think I would be able to afford to shoot.

"The ONLY capital crime in nature is stupidity! The victim can't help being stupid, it can't be cured by education or legislation. The sentence is death, carried out swiftly and without mercy. "

Robert Heinlein- Time Enough for Love- The sayings of Lazarus Long- :rolleyes:

I shot 180 gr Berry plated bullets (172PF) in my stock G35 bbl for a couple of years before I developed a Yawing problem. I tried everything to correct the problem (I even cleaned the gun) but finally went to a Lone Wolf bbl and haven't had any trouble since. When the yawing problem first reared it's head, several people said, "You always see that with Major power, plated bullets in a Glock". They said it as though it were common knowledge, but I have never seen anything in print about the Major/Plated/Glock problem. Anyone else heard of this?

Later, Steve

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. When the bullet yaws it starts pointing off to say the left as it's still going forward. The evidence is an oblong hole in the target. Usually, accuracy also suffers.

Most folks I know call that tumbling. It is impossible, or nearly so, to shoot accurately with tumbling bullets. Trust me, been there, done that before!

MLM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shot a G21 with a BarSto barrel and plain lead 230's to around 120,000 rounds without problems. Then I switched to G17's and have around 50,000 each in two of them running jacketed 115's on top of 4.0 grains of TiteGroup at an OAL of 1.150 with no problems in factory barrels. I would not shoot lead out of a factory barrel.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. When the bullet yaws it starts pointing off to say the left as it's still going forward. The evidence is an oblong hole in the target. Usually, accuracy also suffers.

Most folks I know call that tumbling. It is impossible, or nearly so, to shoot accurately with tumbling bullets. Trust me, been there, done that before!

MLM

Isn't tumbling end over end, and yaw more sort of a wobble? Either way, I'd guess oblong holes and crummy accuracy.

eta: And yes, I shoot jacketed, plated and moly reloads through my factory Glock bbls.

Edited by kevin c