Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popular Primers???

Never had a winchester (sp/lp), federal (100/150?) or CCI (500, used those a long time ago) fail on me when properly seated (thats averaging maybe 15000 per year, close to 15 years of shooting). :D (Well, except the one that was washed with my pants. :wub: )

I am astonnished about the abuse the primers can take with the seating action. I've seen some ram in the primers, it even scared me. Still be carefull as they remain dangerous, so use safety glasses even handling primers!

The power of an exploding primer is awesome, I've seen ww2 unloaded cases with both flashholes totally clogged with rust (steel cases, 8mm mauser and then about 35 to 40 years old) and burned to explode the primers. Some of the primers "shot" clearly through the steel cases (sideways).

Most failures I've seen were caused by badly seated primers (most sticking out below the case, some up side down), I do not consider that primer failures, but lacking attention while reloading. Some were caused by light hits, but you cannot consider that a primer failure either.

Most "primer" failures I've seen were with 22 rimfires where the primercompound wasn't filling the rim all around.

One factory round I fired (rifle) appeared a dud, no sound, no change in dimensions. When I pulled the bullet: no powder! So even that was no primer failure!

John

During the past couple of years I have used Winchester large and small pistol primers and have had no problems. It sounds like Federal primers are very popular because they are a little softer and people say they have less misfires. My only concern with the Federal primers is the stories that I have read here regarding them going off during the reloading process.

Jim

I use CCI exclusively. They are made about 50 miles from my home and I believe in supporting local industry. Plus, they are available locally from WalMart whereas everything else requires driving 50+ miles or mail order.

Over 5000 CCI primers through my Square Deal B since Christmas 2002 and I have had not a single primer failure or feed though the primer mechanism problem. Another couple thousand through the single stage press as well over the past several years.

Rumor has it that CCI had some problems maintaining overall primer height in their production process and this supposedly trashed the fingers on the Dillon primer feed tube. I sure haven't experienced any of this.

Others say CCI is a very hard primer. Well, my Para, Kimber, Taurus, various Rugers, S&W, etc. all love them and nary a problem.

Your Mileage May Vary.... :)

Used to be WW primers for everything. Now I am also using Federal 100's for my Glock 9x21 open pistol because of a light strike issue with WW primers and the striker spring setup on that gun.

Still like WW the best for all calibers.

Regards,

Winchester blue box specials for everything, EXCEPT true magnum rounds or for blanks, where the Federal magnum primers are indeed hotter and there is a performance difference.

FWIW, I have heard about bad lots of the Winchesters in the past. Personally, I've never had a problem. Every brand of primer has had QC problems, so I'm not sure that brand loyalty is buying one much.