Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 and Ratchet tuning

I bought a pre-owned, but unused RL 1050. I've got it on the bench and I'm my trying to understand the process/steps involved. I keep running into the handle catching on the ratchet in back as I start the upstroke. I've done some searching and see that this ratchet sometimes has to be tuned. So...how do I tune it? While it appears others have just removed it, I'd like to just get it working without pulling things off.

If it's useful, here's a pic of where it's catching.

post-11070-1219974491_thumb.jpg

The press isn't currently bolted down because I'm trying to make sure I understand what's going on before lock it in place.

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by jwankel

Try loosening the bolt that holds the ratchet restriction tab. Sometimes that helps if it's stuck. Although by the way, you have to bring the handle all the way down before you try to lift it for the upstroke.

Gary

Make you stroke the handle all the way up, and all the way down. Go ahead and bolt it down, it will work much better. One of the keys to trouble free operation, is to make the bench as solid a possible. Bolt it to a wall if necessary. Any wobble at all, is a bad thing.

I've seen no need to deactivate the ratchet.

If you have to stop in the middle of the stroke, you are doing something wrong, that you need to fix.

After a few thousand rounds, you won't know it's there.

Edited by wide45

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going all the way down on the down-stroke and trying to be as smooth and steady as possible, then slow and smooth on the upstroke. It's catching about 50% of time and when it catches, I need to move the ratchet lever out of the way to move the lever back up. I tried playing with the bolt that holds the ratchet lever but couldn't make it any better. I've going to change calibers in about a week, so I'll take it apart then and see if I can make it better. In the meantime, I've taken the spring off and things are working great.

There is a hollow bolt containing a spring-loaded detent ball that holds the ratchet tab out of the way at the end of the downstroke.

This is located in the frame slightly behind and to the left of where the primer feed attaches. Tighten this in 1/8 turn increments until it holds

the ratchet tab in place. :cheers: