Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Are The Scores?

DJPoLo

yeah, well, you're right, it is sad.

And, it's my fault.

I have the scores. What I don't have is the "magic password" that allows me to upload them to the SC website.

I hope to have it tonight.

Sorry!

Bruce

yeah, well, you're right, it is sad.

And, it's my fault.

I have the scores. What I don't have is the "magic password" that allows me to upload them to the SC website.

I hope to have it tonight.

Sorry!

Bruce

Since USPSA own Steel Challenge why are the results not posted on the Major Match page?

'cuz it isn't a USPSA match. It is a SCSA match.

USPSA (the corporation) owns Steel Challenge (the match), but will *not* be turning it into "USPSA steel". Steel Challenge is its own thing, with its own flavor, its own org... and its own results page.

B

'cuz it isn't a USPSA match. It is a SCSA match.

USPSA (the corporation) owns Steel Challenge (the match), but will *not* be turning it into "USPSA steel". Steel Challenge is its own thing, with its own flavor, its own org... and its own results page.

B

Shouldn't there at least be a link to it from the USPSA page?

In *my* opinion? No. My opinion is that anything we do to connect them will "blur" the line, and we really want SC to remain the unique and wonderful experience that it is.

But that's just me...

B

In *my* opinion? No. My opinion is that anything we do to connect them will "blur" the line, and we really want SC to remain the unique and wonderful experience that it is.

But that's just me...

B

<_< No link.... <_< The three IPSC clubs in San Antonio have a link to my steel club on their web site ;)

Thanks Bruce for your help with the event, this was my 9th year to make the trip.

Jamie

<_< OK the past years we have had to add up the scores to figure out placement for the "Steel Master" = that would be two main event guns and the rim-fire event shot on Thursday.

BJ Norris won Steel Master with a total time score of 245.09

#2 Dave Sevigny 254.66

#3 Todd J 266.01

#4 Phil Strader 269.34

#5 Angus H 272.99

#6 Jamie F 298.37 I shot Revolver and Auto open B)

#7 Billy Abbate 301.94

#8 Jessie Abbate 315.53

#9 Jim O'Young 317.40

#10 Neil Hogue 348.16

I check it several times I thing it is correct

<_< OK the past years we have had to add up the scores to figure out placement for the "Steel Master" = that would be two main event guns and the rim-fire event shot on Thursday.

BJ Norris won Steel Master with a total time score of 245.09

#2 Dave Sevigny 254.66

#3 Todd J 266.01

#4 Phil Strader 269.34

#5 Angus H 272.99

#6 Jamie F 298.37 I shot Revolver and Auto open B)

#7 Billy Abbate 301.94

#8 Jessie Abbate 315.53

#9 Jim O'Young 317.40

#10 Neil Hogue 348.16

I check it several times I thing it is correct

Damn nice shoot'n there tex. Congrats to BJ... I told him to give'm hell... guess he did. :) Also look at Jessie! Damn that woman shoots her ass off.

Edited by JThompson

But that's just me...

B

I'd like to respond to that...before I read the rest of the "stuff" and decide not to respond. :)

In *my* opinion...USPSA is dropping the ball (a bit).

We don't need to lose the identity of SC and capitalize on USPSA's strengths. (USPSA's strength is "the network". We are established...in many ways (clubs, websites, rule books, etc.).

But that's just me...

B

OK - I'm a little confused here. I look in the May / June 2008 edition of Front Sight on page 5 and see an article by Mike Dalton (Co-Director of the Steel Challenge) discussing the "traps" associated with Steel Challenge. Mike goes on to say, and I quote

"Since I helped lay those traps, it's only fitting that I should explain where they are. Call it a benefit of your being a member of the Steel Challenge Shooting Association (SCSA)."

Again, this aricle is in Front Sight so it's obviously directed toward USPSA members. Here are my questions:

1. As a current USPSA member, am I also a member of the SCSA? I would think so based on the fact that USPSA bought SCSA, coupled with the comments that Mike Dalton made in Front Sight - specifically "Call it a benefit of your being a member of the SCSA."

2. If USPSA is now the parent organization of SCSA, why wouldn't USPSA bring to bear it's considerable resources (particularly "the network" mentioned above) to help make SCSA information more accessible to all members. I'm NOT saying change SCSA - not at all; just use the existing USPSA structure to make it easier to access.

Opinions are always welcome, but what I'm really looking for is an answer to my first question - "Am I a member of SCSA as a result of my membership with USPSA?"

ETA: Congrats to Jamie and all the Central Texas crew.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

OK - I'm a little confused here.

You think *you* are! :ph34r:

Actually, most of your questions are answered at the FAQ page on the Steel Challenge site.

http://steelchallenge.com/faq/

1. As a current USPSA member, am I also a member of the SCSA?

Quoting from the above site:

...in grateful appreciation of their support for USPSA, all members in good standing on 12/31/07 will be given a complimentary membership in SCSA for 2008. The procedure for applying is to download the new member application here and mail or fax the completed form to us register online using our secure server. Be sure to include your USPSA member number for faster processing.

Loosely translated, that means that if you were a USPSA member in 2007, you are given a free membership in SCSA for 2008. Note that you still have to "apply", it just won't cost you anything. For 2009, you'll have to pay to join whatever org(s) you want to be a part of. USPSA and SCSA have their own (separate) memberships, but there will be "package deals" if you want to join both.

2. If USPSA is now the parent organization of SCSA, why wouldn't USPSA bring to bear it's considerable resources (particularly "the network" mentioned above) to help make SCSA information more accessible to all members.

Workin' on it. Bear with us - we've never adopted another org before, let alone done it with the specific intent of keeping the two orgs separate and distinct. We really-really-really don't want to turn SCSA into "USPSA Steel", so we're structuring them as very separate (their own rules, their own memberships, their own club affiliations, etc, etc.) organizations within the same corporate umbrella. Having said that, it is the express intent of USPSA to "leverage" the existing entities, to make SC accessible to existing USPSA clubs and members, as well as making USPSA accessible to existing SCSA clubs and members.

Again, this aricle is in Front Sight so it's obviously directed toward USPSA members.

Yeah, that sort of adds to the confusion, I know. Bear in mind that Front Sight is the "corporate newsletter" of USPSA, Inc. As such it will have articles about IPSC-rules matches, USPSA-rules matches and SC-rules matches, because all of those entities are under the "umbrella" of the USPSA corporate structure. At some point (?) we may consider having a separate corporate structure for SCSA, with (possibly) its own newsletter. But for right now, they'll appear in the same magazine, but that doesn't mean they are all the same thing (note that Front Sight will also get sent to people who are SCSA members but *not* USPSA members, because they too are members of the org.)

Hope that helps?

B

But still no scores online. Three days after the match. <_<

Even Aera 4 (sic) has results posted nightly even with a technologically challenged Area Director.

I just can't see the excuse...

Sad.

-Chet

In *my* opinion...USPSA is dropping the ball (a bit). We don't need to lose the identity of SC and capitalize on USPSA's strengths. (USPSA's strength is "the network". We are established...in many ways (clubs, websites, rule books, etc.).

I would agree - at least partially (and please think of this as "Bruce's opinion", not "official Board positioning")

We are being a bit slow on the uptake. Put that on the ledger under two categories: 1), we've never done anything like this before, and we're learning as we go, and 2) we don't want to screw things up and create unintended consequences, so we're talking quickly but acting slowly, to be sure (or, at least as sure as we can be) that we don't do stupid things.

Having said that... there is *every* intention of (warning, buzzword alert!) "leveraging the synergy" between the two orgs. SCSA should be a really attractive option for USPSA clubs and members. USPSA should be an attractice option for SCSA clubs and members. That "fit" is what makes the marriage so intriguing. We do *not* want to turn SC into "USPSA steel", but we *do* want to do things like leverage NROI (where appropriate) to be the rules arbiter for SC, to produce (where appropriate) range-officer training materials and procedures, etc. We *do* intend to do things like leverage the corporate newsletter, Front Sight, to give visibility across the org to all the different disciplines, etc. At the same time, we *do* intend to maintain and reinforce the unique characteristics of each style of competition through identifiably-different web presences, promotional materials, etc.

So... as I said above, bear with us. And whenever it looks like we're missing a smart move, please communicate with us. We want to do this right.

B

At this moment, I don't know when I will have the ability to post scores on the SC website (necessary folks are still out of town).

So, for the interim, attached please find a couple of PDFs for download - one for the main match, one for the rimfire pistol match. Can post the rimfire rifle and shotgun side-event results, too, if people want.

I know this is limited distribution, but... best I can do for the time being.

Bruce

SC08_main.pdf

SC08_RF_Pistol.pdf

Bruce,

Thanks for your reply and for posting the Steel Challenge Link - I now have a better understanding (though not total mastery) of the USPSA / SCSA "relationship". I'm intrigued by Steel Challenge since I've always considered steel to be a major weak point in my game and something I've got to improve on.

Thanks again,

Doug

At this moment, I don't know when I will have the ability to post scores on the SC website (necessary folks are still out of town).

I've uploaded the scores Burce provided to the USPSA Major Match results area, and expect they will be added to an appropriate place on www.steelchallenge.com once the staff is back at HQ.