Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any thing else besides AR for 3-Gun

1911vm

Like Dan said, the AR has it just about wrapped up, for small holes. There are some die hards out there who can and do compete with other platforms such as the Mini 14 or even the Keltec carbines, the SIG 556 (I have one, sometimes bring it as a back up to my AR match rifle) ect. But, most feel that for the price point and available options and upgrades the AR is the ticket. Think of the AR as a Chevy small block: every one and their grandmother makes parts for them.

Like Dan said, the AR has it just about wrapped up, for small holes. There are some die hards out there who can and do compete with other platforms such as the Mini 14 or even the Keltec carbines, the SIG 556 (I have one, sometimes bring it as a back up to my AR match rifle) ect. But, most feel that for the price point and available options and upgrades the AR is the ticket. Think of the AR as a Chevy small block: every one and their grandmother makes parts for them.

+1

I think ARs have the best combination of ergonomics and price. The only thing that may come close is a Sig 556, but they are a bit heavier. Even if we could choose ANY gun out there. Well, even though I have not handled one and it is basically an AR, the HK 416 seems to come close.

As others have said, It's pretty hard to beat the AR. Configure it any way you want, parts

are relatively cheap, and there is a HUGE aftermarket. Beware--the darned things are

addictive. I've got 4 of them at last count, each one configured for a different purpose.

Can other guns be competitive? Well maybe. I shot my first few 3 gun matches with a D

model SKS Sporter--the one that takes AK mags. Did pretty well with it, but nothing was

further than 150 yds.

I know one shooter that uses a M1 carbine. He really knows how to run it, does well

as long as ranges are short.

Know another that uses a MI Garand. Not really competitive, but it's what he has and

it looks like he has a lot of fun with it.

For close up stuff...that little 30 carbine is rockin puppy

all around for close stuff and out to 500yds...Th AR15 platform would be VERY hard to beat.

There are rifles out there that can do the job...but all seem to have some short coming when compaired to the AR

It may be cost ..or mags ..or optic issues...it seems they all fall short in some area

I have to agree :rolleyes: the AR IS the small block of rifles

Jim

Depends on the match. Around here all we have to work with are pistol bays. I got by with a 9mm Mech-Tech carbine attachment on my Glock 17 for almost 2 years before I decided I "needed" an AR. I've still never shot a match where I really needed it, although I hope to make it down to Corpus some day at least! It's more about the cool factor at the moment and I apparently felt I wasn't spending enough on ammo. :roflol:

Depends on the match. Around here all we have to work with are pistol bays. I got by with a 9mm Mech-Tech carbine attachment on my Glock 17 for almost 2 years before I decided I "needed" an AR. I've still never shot a match where I really needed it, although I hope to make it down to Corpus some day at least! It's more about the cool factor at the moment and I apparently felt I wasn't spending enough on ammo. :roflol:

Good idea :cheers: I have one just need a couple 33round mags and I am good to go.

Are you running optic on that and if yes which one. Also what kind of accuracy are you getting with that thing.

Thanks

Mike, sunday the 24th we are gonna shoot carbines about 9:30, be 5 stages, short, quich and nasty. Or we are haveing 3 gun the 31st. Like to see you here.-----------Larry

Good idea :cheers: I have one just need a couple 33round mags and I am good to go.

Are you running optic on that and if yes which one. Also what kind of accuracy are you getting with that thing.

Thanks

At the time, I was using one of the Simmons Pro Diamonds. A C-more or a cheap Simmons red dot would probably be just fine for pistol bay stages. I never shot the thing past 50 yards and it'll hold a good group inside of that. I had a few 33 round mags and I was runnin' around with the ARs just fine! I sold that setup when I got the AR, but kinda wished I'd kept it around now.

Mike, sunday the 24th we are gonna shoot carbines about 9:30, be 5 stages, short, quich and nasty. Or we are haveing 3 gun the 31st. Like to see you here.-----------Larry

I'll be at the TX State Limited the 24th. 31st...maybe. Ya'll have a email list I can get on? I've been wanting to get down there. I need to get that AR out and see if I can hit anything past 100 yards sometime! :rolleyes:

I'll be at the TX State Limited the 24th. 31st...maybe. Ya'll have a email list I can get on? I've been wanting to get down there. I need to get that AR out and see if I can hit anything past 100 yards sometime! :rolleyes:

Mike, on their website http://www.cbshooters.com/ click on the Contact button and you will see a link to join the mailing list.

I do not think anyone has mentioned this yet, but if we ever see the Magpul Masada/ Busmaster ACR it could be a viable platform. It is a true ambi gun with all the nice ergo points of the AR plus a few things that are better IMO (charging handle). Last I heard they moved the release date to 1Q 2009.

I do not think anyone has mentioned this yet, but if we ever see the Magpul Masada/ Busmaster ACR it could be a viable platform. It is a true ambi gun with all the nice ergo points of the AR plus a few things that are better IMO (charging handle). Last I heard they moved the release date to 1Q 2009.

1st Q 09 in gun industry means 4th Q 2010 :roflol:

i realize this is sacriledge, but if i could get a cheap source of reloadable brass, i betcha i could get an AK-47 to rock. surplus 7.72x39 is generally pretty skanky stuff. shot some pretty good groups, equal to or better than commercial .223 w/some winchester white box stuff that i got on a dealio, just hate to shoot it all up and lose the brass at matches, so it just sits there. i have a VEPR that's really a nice gun.

i realize this is sacriledge, but if i could get a cheap source of reloadable brass, i betcha i could get an AK-47 to rock. surplus 7.72x39 is generally pretty skanky stuff. shot some pretty good groups, equal to or better than commercial .223 w/some winchester white box stuff that i got on a dealio, just hate to shoot it all up and lose the brass at matches, so it just sits there. i have a VEPR that's really a nice gun.

The AK works well up close but after you extend it out past 200 yards it becomes quite frustrating as those who shot the Ft Benning 3 gun with an AK can attest.