Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC in N.J.

jimmy ray

Does anyone know of any IPSC or IDPA clubs in New Jersey. :surprise:

CENTRAL JERSEY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB

Located in Jackson, shoots on the second Sunday of the month.

NIK HABICHT P.O. Box 3748, Trenton, N.J. 08629, 609-984-9198

OLD BRIDGE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB

Club located in Old Bridge, N.J.,

Shoots on the fourth Sunday of the month, Jan. thru Nov.

DAVID MARQUES 732-972-6163; or JIM NORMAN 908-431-1237.

RIVERDALE PRACTICAL SHOOTERS

Indoor club, located in Riverdale (northern) New Jersey

shoots on the third Saturday, October through April.

George Jones.

SHONGUM PRACTICAL SHOOTERS

Located in Hackettstown, N.J.

Shoots first Saturday, April to December.

Ronald Gumann 973-478-7018

Ralph Nitzl 908-637-6737

UNITED SPORTSMAN'S ASSN OF NORTH AMERICA

Club located in Elmer, N.J.

Shoots on the first Sunday of the month, March to September

Justin (Jay) Platt Justin (Jay) Platt

Area 8 website

Not on that list (because it isn't officially a USPSA match) is our small indoor practice match at old bridge. 1st and 3rd fridays of each month, 4 stages. Doors open around 6:30pm, we try to be doing walkthrough by 7:30pm. 4 stages, somewhere between 70-100 rounds. It's geared towards introducing new shooters to USPSA style shooting.

Old bridge info is availabel at OBCATS.COM.

• 2 weeks later...
So there is nothing in South Jersey? That seems odd, since it is more rural, but I guess there are not as many people who want to participate.

CJ is actually pretty much on the boundary of central and south Jersey.

Slav

So there is nothing in South Jersey? That seems odd, since it is more rural, but I guess there are not as many people who want to participate.

CJ is actually pretty much on the boundary of central and south Jersey.

Slav

No, you don't understand. If you are from the north, south jersey begins around edison, and newark is central jersey. If you are from the middle of new jersey, north jersey begins around bridgewater, and south jersey begins around trenton. If you live down around cherry hill/philly, north jersey begins around trenton, and south jersey is down around cape may. If you live south of glassboro, southern NJ is called Delaware, and and anything north of 73 is populated by those damn northerners.

The shrot version, is that wherevery you are in NJ, the local residents think it is central NJ unless you are at the very edges. Then they like to belive they are jsut the suburbs of the neighboring state.

Well, I missed Elmer, NJ - UNITED SPORTSMAN'S ASSN OF NORTH AMERICA. That would have to be S. Jersey in anybody's book. Guess that's why it say's "Looks for match" under my name.

You are not supposed to have a magazine that holds more than 15 rounds.

I won't shoot another GSSF match in NJ for that reason - almost all my Glock 17 mags are regular capacity now. 3gun in NJ? Out of the question in my book (its a shame too since I know Jim & the guys run a great shoot up there. Keep up the good fight Jim!). Restrictive laws DO have a chilling effect on ownership and shooting activities in general. If there were a major revolver or S.S. shoot held there, I'd still travel to NJ.

Edited by Carlos

I won't shoot another GSSF match in NJ for that reason - almost all my Glock 17 mags are regular capacity now. 3gun in NJ?

Get 10 round mags for GSSF. Works great since you don't need to reload.

USPSA - I use my Glock 35 (15 round mags) or revolver.

3 gun, I'm with you. I won't take a chance.

Like most restrictive state laws, I believe that this only applies to residents as > 15 rounds = assault weapon in NJ law.

As an aside, they have some extra restrictions governing transport of firearms that can be difficult to get the facts on. I think I have sorted out the ban on hollow points and find that they are legal to bring in from out of state if you are going to a range to shoot them - just don't sell or give them to anyone else.

I'm less sure on the requirement for having a hunting license to transport a firearm but I believe that is just the poor wording you sometimes find. In this case the description I found reads, "A firearm is not permitted to be transported through the state unless the owner of possesses a Firearms Identification Card. Exceptions to this prohibition are: a person traveling to and from a target range or to and from hunting, provided the individual has obtained a valid state hunting license, and 'between one place of business or residence and another when moving.' In any event, the general rule should be followed." I believe that the hunting license is intended as a condition of transporting a firearm for hunting, rather than both a target range and hunting.

It would be nice if some Jersey shooters could get the straight facts on all of this because I know shooters in the surrounding area that won't take a gun into Jersey on a bet. It's too bad too because there are some good ranges in Jersey.

My advice would be that if you are going to shoot in Jersey just take all the mags apart before you enter the state and put them together on range property and take them apart before you leave. I believe the AG stated that a temporarily blocked magazine is still illegal so just putting in dowel rods are not the answer.

You are allowed to buy and use hollow points....you just can not use them in the commision of a crime.

(disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV and no I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

It would be nice if some Jersey shooters could get the straight facts on all of this

We would if we could. I do not think the people who wrote those laws know exactly what they meant when they wrote them. The part about magazine plugs is a prime example. Nothing is "permanent" when you own a blowtorch, a dremmel, a drill and a cold chisel.

Slav

Where from in South Jersey? From Camden County, the Central Jersey club in Jackson, NJ is about 45 minutes away. USANA, in sun-shiny Elmer, NJ, is about 30 minutes away. Old Bridge is less than a hour. Southern Chester (in PA), takes about an hour.